I drink about a bottle of wine a day. Should I cut back?

Its like my daily ritual usually. After work I hit the gym, then shower up then dinner with wine...............and wine night cap afterwards. I know they say a glass of wine a day is good for your heart. Im averaging about a bottle of Merlot a night. Do you think I might be overdoing it a bit?

I do work out alot and take a daily multivitamin!:bigsmile:

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Nah
  • Minnesota_Nice
    Minnesota_Nice Posts: 414 Member
    As long as you take a 17# dump one or twice a week, you should be fine.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Only if it's getting in the way of your beer consumption or your golf game.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    No advice on the wine intake, but I can't help but feel like we should be friends. hah.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    If a glass of wine is good for you, a bottle must be great! I heard it substitutes as a multivitamin, too.
  • May i suggest a straw? :bigsmile:
  • chnkysoup
    chnkysoup Posts: 79 Member
    The only thing I would worry about is the calories. I am also a wine lover and would drink it daily if I could afford to (calorie wise). There is about 122 calories in a 5 oz glass of Merlot and i believe there is around 25 or so ounces in a bottle so you are looking at around 488 calories or so. I was drinking white wine a week ago and looked up the calories only to find out that I drank about 550 calories! Yikes! For me if I am going to have calories I would rather eat them, lol. :smile:
  • I will never give up wine....never...nope...I wont do it.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    As long as you take a 17# dump one or twice a week, you should be fine.

say what babycakes!?!?! hahahahaha
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Wine calories don't count... didn't you know?!
  • BEERRUNNER
    Wine calories don't count... didn't you know?!

I like your thinking!!!................as long as we work them off right!?! :bigsmile:
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Depends on what your goals are. Drinking a bottle of red is roughly about 600 empty calories.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/523115-what-happens-if-you-drink-alcohol-after-working-out/

And also just google "alcohol after a workout" and there are other interesting articles.

I know I have far better results and my endurance during workouts is much better when I'm not hitting the sauce often. I love wine, I just don't drink it daily....reminds me, my new wine fridge should be delivered tomorrow!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    so you drink a bottle of wine every day and your screen name is BEERRUNNER? LOL
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    That's awesome.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Only if it's getting in the way of your beer consumption or your golf game.

This
  • BEERRUNNER
    so you drink a bottle of wine every day and your screen name is BEERRUNNER? LOL

Well it's winter now and here in Chicago its too cold to be pounding beers all crazy like that. so I go to a nice red wine in these times. Usually Merlot or Shiraz......:bigsmile:
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    I love wine, but sadly I hate exercise so there's no way I could drink every day and fit it in my calorie allowance. I try to stick to Saturday nights on the wine only, it's better for my weight loss and health (but not nearly as much fun!).
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    For me, the answer to that was yes, and it was similar consumption amount. I've cut back considerably and am working on all together. And I am much more motivated to go to the gym and get other things done in the evening when not so 'relaxed'. If I'm cutting calories to lose, the 500 empty ones have to go. If a 3500 calorie a week deficit = a pound of loss per week, cutting out the wine alone takes care of that.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I don't see wine, or alcohol, for that matter, as empty calories. Nutritionally, I suppose so. But they're good for my mood. I have a hell of a lot more fun drinking [insert beverage here] on a Saturday night than when I'm eating broccoli, so they're worth it. Gotta have fun sometimes!...or most of the time.

Just sayin. :drinker: