Should I keep dating this guy? (Cheap)

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    To those who compare this case with prostitution, I'm afraid I have to disagree....

when you pay a hooker, you're sure you'll have sex afterward :-P
    Touche.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I think whoever initiated the date should pay. If it was a mutual decision, split the bill. That just seems fair (and like good manners) to me.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that it's totally ridiculous to expect a guy to pay for everything. If we as women want equal treatment in society, then we also need to let go of the chivalry we expect of men otherwise it's a bit hypocritical.

This is so true!
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think whoever initiated the date should pay. If it was a mutual decision, split the bill. That just seems fair (and like good manners) to me.

I agree.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    A gentlewoman always pay.
  • ohtobe140
    Options
    When I was dating, I always want to go dutch for the first few dates, that way there isn't an expectation of anything physical. I do believe in this day and age, that both sexes expect sex within the first week and whenever money or gifts are involved, well... tit for tat.

I wish dating was being done, where it would at least a month to get to bed, hell, even a few months would be good. Pay your own way, or at least offer to, if he says no that he will pay, then you say thank you and be gracious.

I am sure my warped view on dating is not typical everywhere, but where I live, it's all very one-night-stands and f#@%buddy situations. No one really wants to take the time to fall in love anymore, and well, I think that's sad.

Also, if you can't afford to pay your way regardless of whether or not you do, you shouldn't be dating. You never want to end up somewhere where you can't afford to get home all by yourself. That's just being safe.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've always sort of evened it up after first few dates (he paid) by inviting the guy over, cooking for him, making him something special and if in a relationship, this happens more where we spend time together at home and I cook or we both cook at my house. I figure it all evens out. The only time I've ever gone dutch is with someone I didn't really want to go out with again.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i don't think its fair to call someone cheap when you're the one that doesn't wanna pay

kelso-burn.jpg
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Some women *want* to be taken care. Is that not okay? If men don't want to take "princess" women that like to be taken care of um... then don't. Clearly, not every woman is like that. I don't really feel like my lady bits are dis-empowered because I don't touch the check. Really.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, OP. You have finally hit jackpot with one of your threads. It took a few tries, but you got there.
    31993703 Posts: 1,144
    Options
    tumblr_lpgklyTeJl1r00dcyo1_500.gif
  • WanderingBomb
    WanderingBomb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I guess every relationship and every person is different. I always find it sweet for a guy to pay for the first date. After that I always offer to pay/ go dutch depending on. My boyfriend and I alternate paying now (we've been together 1.5 years) but the first 1 date he paid for and he used to stop by my work and bring me coffee all the time. We went from 'dating' to 'couple' pretty fast, there was really only one "date" lol. But if you don't like or are uncomfortable with him asking you to pay so soon then maybe he isnt the guy for you.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    He is 29 and we seem to get along great.

Date 1: We had 2 drinks he payed.

Date 2: Watched movie (he payed), DIDN'T ask me if I wanted popcorn. After movie went to restaurant, I had like a 7 dollar plate, bill came and it was split. I asked if he wanted me to pay he said yes since he paid for movie.

Since this is date 2, is it too soon for him to start wanting me to pay or am I over reacting?

If you like him keep dating him, if you don't .....don't!

Ohh and didn't someone else have this exact same dilema a while back ???
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Some women *want* to be taken care. Is that not okay? If men don't want to take "princess" women that like to be taken care of um... then don't. Clearly, not every woman is like that. I don't really feel like my lady bits are dis-empowered because I don't touch the check. Really.
    The point is that it is disgusting to shame and ridicule a guy for not paying for literally everything during the course of a date. If you want to be spoiled, fine, but it's your responsibility to explain that to him... and not your right to expect it of him.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A gentleman always pays.
    Hello, the 1950s called.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I always try and pay and a good amount of girls don't like too much chivalry anymore. I think it's all just situation. It's only the 2nd date, give it some more time. Also weigh other things into consideration (do you actually like him?), instead of focusing so much on money...

^ What he said.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    If she hasn't already said it.... just break up
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My fiance payed for our first few dates though I always offered and felt uncomfortable when he did pay. As much as i like being "taken care of" I think there are much better ways he can "take care of me" (whiche he does!) besides paying for our dates. Dinner is expensive depending on the place, movies are expensive and so is popcorn, candy and drinks at the theatre. Now try taking someone out 2 or three times over the course of a couple weeks...it adds up!

You should want to show you are a self sufficient person and pick up part of the date. Maybe not the first one, but most Im sure most men (please correct me if Im wrong) wouldnt feel emasculated and would be pretty happy if you nicely said "hey, you got the movie, let me pick up the popcorn and drinks..." You cant tell me you expect him to pay for drinks, dinner, movies and you cant "splurge" and spend $15 on popcorn and pop!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Wait...I pay...and I put out....then I invite them over to play video games....

Is this wrong?
  • Enkibean
    Options
    Wait...I pay...and I put out....then I invite them over to play video games....

Is this wrong?

No, it means you're awesome.
This discussion has been closed.