Should I keep dating this guy? (Cheap)

Options

Replies

• KeRAWRi
    KeRAWRi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well.. on my second date with my boyfriend he had me buy us coffee and it was not necessarily a turn on but i stuck around and things are great. If you enjoy having him around then stick around and see what happens. You never know. It might take just hanging out with him a few times before you can make this decision.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that it's totally ridiculous to expect a guy to pay for everything. If we as women want equal treatment in society, then we also need to let go of the chivalry we expect of men otherwise it's a bit hypocritical.

**** equal treatment!
    I don't want any equal treatment! You women in America got yourself your equal treatment when have 6 weeks to take care of a baby after the delivery, and we have up to 1.5 years, our jobs are protected by the law.
    Men and women are NOT the same, neither physically, nor mentally, why would we have the same responsibilities?
    Equal human and political rights? Yes. But you guys take it to a freaking another level.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    This is why I don't date.

You don't date because you want to avoid a the chance of going out with a guy who doesn't want to pay 100% of the time? Sounds logical.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    A gentleman always pays.

And a lady always puts out after getting paid.

This is also true. I put out after my own husband buys me dinner. Or clothes. Or a newspaper.
    Isn't that prostitution?

Wow there's a whole lot of panties wedged betwixt butt cheeks in this thread.
    You're giving it up for a newspaper....

Holy crap buddy, that was a joke. You know.. ha.. ha... ha... joke.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Depends on who asked who for the second date.
    If he did then he should pay, if you did the you should.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    A real man pays for everything!!!!

^ This guy.

I like this guy.

Of course you do. You're getting free meals from them lol. You know you can get free meals from church etc too right?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    A gentleman always pays.

This is also true. I put out after my own husband buys me dinner. Or clothes. Or a newspaper.
    Isn't that prostitution?

And so was mine, yet you got upset.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    A gentleman always pays.

Isn't that prostitution?

And so was mine, yet you got upset.

Actually no, I've been giggling my way through this thread. Now I'm just seeing how many quotes one single post can have in it. Wheeee
  • embracingmycurves
    embracingmycurves Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A gentleman always pays.
    agree this!
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm a little torn on this one.

I'm of the opinion that if you invite someone (friend, family or date) to come to dinner, you're paying. However, if you ask them to meet you somewhere, this is much more open to split the bill. I myself am a "let's go dutch" girl because I don't like feeling indebted to people (esp. the type who are like "But I paid for dinner! You owe me sexy time!"), but I'm also younger.

I'd say for a second date that he he wanted you to split the bill, he should have told you that up front BEFORE the date. It's a bit early for the person who did the inviting to expect the invitee to split without discussion.

Would it stop me from going on a third date? Well... that depends on if I caught any other red flags (rude to wait staff, greedy with food, complaining about everything from mom to boss, talk of exs, just plain boring etc.).

If there was anything else that went down, ditch that sinking ship.

If not, assume somebody just mised a social graces lesson, have a talk about it and move on.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I take turns, always. It's equal, and I honestly feel he does not need to carry the brunt of paying simply because he is male. I make my own money, he makes his. We are a partnership, and it works for us. If this is really an issue for you, you need to move on.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    To each her own... I prefer to take turns taking the tab. Just like I do with friends.. but you have to play it by ear- each guy is different. But, if he insists on taking the tab every time, I don't argue. I will, however, make a point of buying and making a really nice dinner for him (IF I like him). But I also haven't been on a real date in something like 4 1/2 years so.....,
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    A real man pays for everything!!!!

I think you're a great guy, Herb, but I disagree!
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    OP, don't judge him just yet....

For me if I ask a guy out (which I have)...I will plan the date and then I pay for the date..if HE does the asking the he does the planning and paying...that is the way I see it..at least when you first start dating.

Thie past Friday I went out with someone...we went for dinner (he paid), then we went to see this band nearby and had a couple of drinks (I paid). I told our server that it would be on my tab and gave her my card (he was in the restroom and didnt know it)...when it was time to leave he was going to pay..but then was told that I had already settled the bill. He was greatful and surprised. He said he felt a little strange having a woman pay for him. It was my idea to see the band and go to that place so I Was the one who paid....it is all a balance....

Side Note: I did have a guy ask me out, take me too a nice restaurant, we laughed had drinks, dinner, and I thought we were clicking and there was lots of flirting...when the bill came though HE actually handed me the bill. I am sorry but that was just wrong. He asked ME out and he chose the place....needless to say I never saw him again...that was $120 to get rid of a true loser....
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that it's totally ridiculous to expect a guy to pay for everything. If we as women want equal treatment in society, then we also need to let go of the chivalry we expect of men otherwise it's a bit hypocritical.

**** equal treatment!
    I don't want any equal treatment! You women in America got yourself your equal treatment when have 6 weeks to take care of a baby after the delivery, and we have up to 1.5 years, our jobs are protected by the law.
    Men and women are NOT the same, neither physically, nor mentally, why would we have the same responsibilities?
    Equal human and political rights? Yes. But you guys take it to a freaking another level.
    please explain to me how any of that has to do with expecting a guy to pay for everything
    the fact that your job is protected by law speaks more to the necessity for women to start growing up and realizing they can pull their own weight than anything else, so i don't know what your point was here.

this thread literally took feminism back like 40 years
    some of you girls need to get a grip
  • Valm0n
    Valm0n Posts: 88
    Options
    To those who compare this case with prostitution, I'm afraid I have to disagree....

when you pay a hooker, you're sure you'll have sex afterward :-P
  • IslandRider
    Options
    Since this is date 2, is it too soon for him to start wanting me to pay or am I over reacting?

What?! That's as goofy as asking if the first date is too soon for him to expect you to put out. Sounds to me like you want to have him as the guy who acts like its the 1940's and pays for everything. This is 2012, if you want to be treated as an equal, act like one.

And, yes I always expect to pay my own way, always have.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Here is what i have found...

women who dont have much going on career wise are the ones who expect men to pay for everything.

the women who ive dated who are career minded/professionals will begin to pay their share as the relationship develops and some pay their share right from the start.

a woman who has a good career and doesnt expect to be taken care of is super sexy.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Equal rights works both ways.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Side Note: I did have a guy ask me out, take me too a nice restaurant, we laughed had drinks, dinner, and I thought we were clicking and there was lots of flirting...when the bill came though HE actually handed me the bill. I am sorry but that was just wrong. He asked ME out and he chose the place....needless to say I never saw him again...that was $120 to get rid of a true loser....

This is what I'm referring to.

Man, woman or anywhere in between: you invite, you pick the place, YOU pay.
This discussion has been closed.