Should I keep dating this guy? (Cheap)

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Your name is blackbarbie, you have a picture of Lil' Kim.... enough said.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    IMO If you've already labeled him as cheap, it sounds like you've already developed your opinion about this guy... so anyone else's opinions about your relationship with this guy really don't (or shouldn't) matter.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think a gentleman always offers to pay in the beginning at least. I do however, think its nice for the lady to offer sometimes as well. I went on a coffee date once and the guy didnt even offer to buy my coffee, because of that, for me the date was over before it began. Chivalry is not dead, most ladies I know very much appreciate it.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    A gentleman always pays.

THIS!!!!

no. a gentleman should always offer to pay.

so should a woman.

THIS.

When my boyfriend of four years and I first started dating he INSISTED on paying for everything. I was very independent and it was really hard for me to let him do that but he did. So I'd return favors like cooking him his favorite meals, paying for gas if we drove somewhere. Like I said though we've been together for about four years now. He's well into his career and I'm still in school (3 more weeks!!) So he mostly pays but I pick up the tab when I can. But, I buy the groceries. I don't ever like to expect someone to pay for EVERYTHING.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    reminds of the Seinfeld ep where Elaine is dating a guy for his store discount. and Kramer had this gem of wisdom.

KRAMER: "Now see the two of you need to work on trust... and then and only then will there be a free exchange of sex and discounts.. Cornerstones of a healthy relationship....
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I would never pay for a date- ever!............................ Ever! No.
    How many dates have you gotten?
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If this is seriously your question....geez. If you enjoy dating the guy, keep dating. Don't just go find another guy because he asked you to spend some money. Is time with him not worth a little money if you enjoy yourself? Oy.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    He is 29 and we seem to get along great.

Date 1: We had 2 drinks he payed.

Date 2: Watched movie (he payed), DIDN'T ask me if I wanted popcorn. After movie went to restaurant, I had like a 7 dollar plate, bill came and it was split. I asked if he wanted me to pay he said yes since he paid for movie.

Since this is date 2, is it too soon for him to start wanting me to pay or am I over reacting?

If you ask this question it means you're not comfortable with him not paying.

I'd never date a man who doesn't want to pay for me on a date. I pay my half with my guy friends, because we are friends, nothing romantic there! But with a man I'm on a date with, I expect never pay for anything.
    As the matter of fact, if I'm trying to pay, it means he's got no chances and I want to put him into the friends zone.

I'm a very generous person and always give to others and expect the same from my man. My boyfriend won over my heart when on the first date at a very good restaurant he said he was going to a boys room but instead went to ask and pay the check. So I wasn't even put in this uncomfortable situation when a waiter brings a check. He thinks its not for a lady and I completely agree.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't date.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    It's 2012, not 1950. Women fight for equal rights and still expect men to pay for everything? That is ridiculous.

How dare he not ask if you want popcorn?! (if you didn't get it, this question is filled to the brim with sarcasm)
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options

How bout some ice for that burn?
  • AntWrig
    Options
    A gentleman always pays.

And a lady always puts out after getting paid.

This is also true. I put out after my own husband buys me dinner. Or clothes. Or a newspaper.
    Isn't that prostitution?
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    So the man is expected to pay because you're a woman or he is a man?

Way to contribute to sexism.

Put the ***** up on a pedestal and it will be treated as an object instead of a person.

Flame away. Tell me how I'm wrong. You can't do it without making it sound sexist "Well the man should, because..." "The woman should not, because...". Sexist.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    well..I was paying most of the time but sometime it's fun to split too.
    I think it depends...If you offer to go somewhere, well pay for it...If it's a mutual decision,well split etc...

Now, after many years,kids etc...we share everything. I pay a lot but sometime she helps...like I pay for the movie,she will get the food etc.....

But first couple dates....yea, I did pay.

Agree! Its been my experience that if a guy is not all that interested he'll let you pay.
  • spacechick365
    spacechick365 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I get pissed if my boyfriend does not let me pay every now and then... we usually rotate, he pays one I pay one...

This is what my husband and I did while dating and we have been married for almost 11 years now. It makes us more equal in the relationship.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options

Me? I'm married but I used to date a lot, yea. Maybe it's because I grew up "small town" but it was never a question of bills being split or a man not paying for a date. Unless times have really just changed *that* much in the last 8 years, I don't know.
  • ohmelgosh79
    ohmelgosh79 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    HELL no girl!!! If it started like this, it will remain like this...... smarten up girl!!!!!!!

Why?!? He paid for drinks and movie tickets, why is there something wrong with her picking up HER meal? If it were me, I would have offered to pay for the entire dinner. Maybe he didn't have a lot of cash on him, times are hard but atleast he made an effort. I don't understand why some women think that a man has to empty his wallet on a date in order for there to be a connection/further dates.
    To the OP: After 2 dates, you don't know this man well enough to call him cheap. Get to know him before you make any rude assumptions.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm remembering the worst date i ever had. i was twenty two, and the girl, second date, was twenty one. we're both students, not a lot of money.

i drive to go pick her up, and it's kinda far, so i use a lot of gas ($$$). i pay for dinner, and pay for the movie tickets afterwards. movie didn't start for about an hour, so we went across the street to an appleby's or something to have a drink. i ordered a beer, and she ordered so giant fishbowl margarita thing. the check came and her drink was about twenty bucks. i guess she saw my eyes bug out, because she goes "do you want me to pay?" i breathed a sigh of relief and went, "yeah, if you wouldn't mind."

later at the movie, she might as well have been sitting on the other side of the row based on how far she was leaning away from me. i drove her home in near silence, and she got out of the car in a huff.

i called the next day and left it went to voicemail. i called two days after that, and she explained that she had never been treated so rudely and she never expected me to say 'yes' to asking her to pay. i didn't know what to say so we said good bye. i got over it pretty quickly.

i don't date princesses.
  • ellenasl210
    ellenasl210 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It all boils down to penis size

hahahahaha!!! true....
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    A gentleman always pays.

And a lady always puts out after getting paid.

This is also true. I put out after my own husband buys me dinner. Or clothes. Or a newspaper.
    Isn't that prostitution?

Wow there's a whole lot of panties wedged betwixt butt cheeks in this thread.
This discussion has been closed.