If I Gave You Poison Would You Eat It?

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    well arent you a self righteous wonder of the world.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Anxiety and depression, among many other disorders and diseases are ramapant in the US due to the high carbohydrate / low fat consumption. There has been a proven direct link to many mental illness (anxiety, bi-polar, depression just to name a few) that are directly linked to a low fat, higher carb way of eating.

if there is a "proven direct link" then there is a study you are basing this on.. Could I see that study?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200304/the-risks-low-fat-diets

http://www.naturalnews.com/026270_fat_health_healthy.html

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=60

There was also a study published in Finland (national public health institute) regarding this very topic, but I can't get to the website at the moment...........Maybe google it

Read all 3 articles. Let me preface with the fact that I agree, especially with the sparklepeople article, that there are health risks to low at diets and health benefits to moderate fat diets. None of the articles showed a "proven link" of low at to affective disorders. Nor did the one study that was linked at the bottom of the sparklepeople article. The following is a quote from the study abstract:

"These findings suggest an abnormal intake or metabolism of essential fatty acids in conjunction with decreased formation of cholesteryl esters in major depression"

That is correlation, not causation. I may have missed is but the other 2 were articles and showed no study links.

I found a Finland study. Not sure if it's the one you refererence. Again, correlation but no causation. A quote from the "conclusions" section:
    "The findings reported here do not show any causal linkage. Large-scale intervention trials are needed before dietary recommendations to increase fish consumption or omega-3 polyunsaturated fat intake are applied to psychiatric patients or people in the general population."

I think there may be something to this but it has not shown a "proven link" as you stated.
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    If I cut out meat and dairy and anything else you consider "poison", I would be anorexic........and dead.

You can put whatever you want into your body. Why not have the consideration to let others do the same?

Fear-mongering is pathetic and does NOTHING but make people want to avoid you like the plague.

I must add that mental/emotional problems such as anxiety and depression are rampant in the US - why??? Because it is far too easy to get sucked in to the fear-based mantras being preached at us day after day ... At some point you have to say "f" it and do the best you can with what works best for you. Life is too short - no matter WHAT you eat.

Anxiety and depression, among many other disorders and diseases are ramapant in the US due to the high carbohydrate / low fat consumption. There has been a proven direct link to many mental illness (anxiety, bi-polar, depression just to name a few) that are directly linked to a low fat, higher carb way of eating.

Wow...You good sir, are very brave. Good luck.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If I cut out meat and dairy and anything else you consider "poison", I would be anorexic........and dead.

You can put whatever you want into your body. Why not have the consideration to let others do the same?

Fear-mongering is pathetic and does NOTHING but make people want to avoid you like the plague.

I must add that mental/emotional problems such as anxiety and depression are rampant in the US - why??? Because it is far too easy to get sucked in to the fear-based mantras being preached at us day after day ... At some point you have to say "f" it and do the best you can with what works best for you. Life is too short - no matter WHAT you eat.

Wow...You good sir, are very brave. Good luck.
    Not that radical considering fat is a key component to hormonal balance, and hormones being whack are often assosciated with mental illnesses.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Meat is poisonous?
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Everything is poisonous, even fruits and veges because of pesticides. I don't think we can possibly get away from it. :ohwell:
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options

I must add that mental/emotional problems such as anxiety and depression are rampant in the US - why??? Because it is far
    Not that radical considering fat is a key component to hormonal balance, and hormones being whack are often assosciated with mental illnesses.

People on here get pretty worked up about it is all :ohwell:
  • richmondcowgirl
    richmondcowgirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Pick your poisons and enjoy them....

my life doesn't suck
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Meat is poisonous?

clearly!!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything the OP listed is not poisonous in any way.

Oxygen is one of the most dangerous elements to the body, yet no one argues we should completely get rid of it.

Truthfully, it is the quantity of certain foods that cause adverse effects in life, not the mere presence.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I would assume everyone even the moron with the post has consumed an apple seed at some point along the way which contains a cyanide compound, a very potent poison and we are all just fine. While many of us are now concerned with making good food choices anyone that goes to extremes to make a point that the author of the post made is missing the point and a self-righteous, arrogant fool.:huh: :yawn:
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Protip: Everything gives you cancer.
    wink.jpg
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    ......even the moron with the post......
    Really, is that necessary? You are allowed have your opinion so could you please have the good manners to allow others their opinions too?

edited because I hit 'save' too early :(
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Steve Jobs was a known vegan and cut out all processed foods from his diet and he died of cancer. We cannot prevent all illness or diseases by eliminating certain foods.

This!
    My friends mom passed away from breast cancer, was a vegan for all 56 years of her life. So, dont believe everything youve read or watched. Information can be skewed

Also, my great granddad lived until 106, drank like a sailor and smoked 2 packs a day and would probably laugh in your face if you said that he was poisoning himself by eating animal products.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Steve Jobs was a known vegan and cut out all processed foods from his diet and he died of cancer. We cannot prevent all illness or diseases by eliminating certain foods.

This!
    My friends mom passed away from breast cancer, was a vegan for all 56 years of her life. So, dont believe everything youve read or watched. Information can be skewed

Also, my great granddad lived until 106, drank like a sailor and smoked 2 packs a day and would probably laugh in your face if you said that he was poisoning himself by eating animal products.
    <3

Everyone will die when it's their time. No matter how much we want to avoid or prolong it, it will happen when it's supposed to.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options

This!

<3

Everyone will die when it's their time. No matter how much we want to avoid or prolong it, it will happen when it's supposed to.

Exactly. To be honest, I'd rather live a shorter life that I enjoyed and where I had fun, than live like a nun and add years onto a dull and boring existence!!!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Read the first page and the last page, we're all gonna did in a few weeks anyway...or at least so thought the Mayans.
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    Poison? No of course I would not eat poison if you gave it to me. The problem is you listed perfectly healthy foods as poison. I don't fall for scare tactics and I don't believe in demonizing food. If I listened to everyone like you there would be nothing left to eat.
  • jets51
    Options
    ......even the moron with the post......
    Really, is that necessary? You are allowed have your opinion so could you please have the good manners to allow others their opinions too?

edited because I hit 'save' too early :(

If someone is being a moron by having a retarded opinion, pointing out that they are a moron doesn't impinge their right to have said retarded opinion.

If it was my opinion that the only way to be healthy was to inject fat into my eyes I would be a moron and people who know better should tell me I'm a moron
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Read the first page and the last page, we're all gonna did in a few weeks anyway...or at least so thought the Mayans.

Wise words mate ;)