Major Blow to My Confidence Today-Rude People

Options
I was at the grocery store with my husband today and we had just finished checking out and were putting the last of our bags into the cart. There was woman that was checking out after us and she had the gall to ask me if I was pregnant. I tell her that I am not pregnant and give her the most evil look ever. She goes "I am so sorry. Do you have any kids now?" I keep telling her "No I don't". At this point, I am fighting the tears. Then she goes "I am so sorry. If this makes you feel any better, you only look 3 mos. pregnant." I give her another evil look and ran out of the store. On top of feeling humiliated and angry, it makes me want to lose weight even more. I carry more of the weight in my belly so I guess I will be ramping up my workout routine to work off the gut. It is a shame how little people care anymore :(.

Replies

• rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Wow...very sad to see that people can be so ignorant of their own rudeness, or maybe she just didn't care. You can't change how people act, but you can change how you re-act to them, so next time give em the finger..lol.
  • ashvegas99
    Options
    Oh believe me, I wanted to shoot her a bird so badly and call her a ***** so badly, but I didn't. My husband told me she looked super humiliated, which was enough for me I guess.
  • Kendrazombie
    Kendrazombie Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my daughter people constantly told me I looked big enough to be having triplets. Even had someone argue with me about it. People can be insensitive and rude. Sorry you had to deal with that. :(
  • firelle
    firelle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I can't believe she kept going, though... .Screw that lady, and just keep doing you! I store it all in my tummy too, everyone asks when I'm due :/ Ignore them and just whip out onto the beach this summer! Remember, that's what these cold months are for: breaking a sweat :D and don't go too intense just cuz of what she said. you could burn out.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I'm sure she felt worse than you did.

Ugh - sorry that happened.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    That is awful. I work at a small doctor's office with three other women. We are all overweight. :/ people say things to the heavier women about being heavy and usually the patients that make the comments are obese as well!!!!
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it, shake it off and take this one day at a time. Think about where you want to be 6 months from now and concentrate on that! You can do this!!
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    OP I am so SORRY that happened to you. People SUCK!! I know how terrible you feel! I had this happen to me and it's what kick started my weight loss last year. Hold your head high and let it fuel you. Who knows maybe in a few months from now you will see that awful person again and they will be rendered speechless by your transformation! :flowerforyou:
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    WTF..who says "you only look 3 months pregnant" after you made it clear that you're not pregnant nor have any kids? That was grounds to deck her in the face.....
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I will never, ever understand why some people think it's perfectly acceptable to ask a woman if she is pregnant. Besides the obvious error of someone simply being overweight, what if that person is trying to conceive and having issues? What if they just lost a baby? There are so many cans of worms in that question - I never, ever bring it up.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I was at the grocery store with my husband today and we had just finished checking out and were putting the last of our bags into the cart. There was woman that was checking out after us and she had the gall to ask me if I was pregnant. I tell her that I am not pregnant and give her the most evil look ever. She goes "I am so sorry. Do you have any kids now?" I keep telling her "No I don't". At this point, I am fighting the tears. Then she goes "I am so sorry. If this makes you feel any better, you only look 3 mos. pregnant." I give her another evil look and ran out of the store. On top of feeling humiliated and angry, it makes me want to lose weight even more. I carry more of the weight in my belly so I guess I will be ramping up my workout routine to work off the gut. It is a shame how little people care anymore :(.

Like you, I get comments like that because I carry my weight or my overweight in my stomach so some people have asked me if I am pregnant or asked "when are you due"? When I said "I am not pregnant" One dumbell had the gull to say "you are fat enough be pregnant". I looked at her and smiled to be polite, but I wanted to slam her against a wall. Some people have such gull!! But, I know the humiliation only too well. That and other fat comments can make us lose our confidence, but I won't let it stop me. Now, I just see it as others making stupid comments and being ignorant. We are taking action and doing something about our weight loss. Be glad. I know I am.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    id have asked her in a really condescending baby voice if she needed a ride back to her group
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    The only time it is socially acceptable to ask a woman if she is pregnant is when the baby is crowning.
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Some people are dilholes.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Some people are dilholes.
    ^^Pretty much this.

Sorry this happened.
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Here here!! And even then you should just politely comment that the baby looks adorable with no references to the mother and thr state of her physique!!! I hesitate to make statements to my cousins body and we are family! How strangers feel it is alright confuses and terrifies me for when I decide I want to try for children.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I mean, there's no way to cover yourself after that. To try and back pedal and say you only look a little preggers, she clearly lost her mind
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The only time it is socially acceptable to ask a woman if she is pregnant is when the baby is crowning.

That's my approach. I've had people assume I was pregnant. Nope just have fibroid tumors that make me look 6 months pregnant. That usually shuts them up.

I did have a client once ask me when I was due (I WAS 7 months pregnant). I told him I wasn't pregnant and he turns 30 shades of red before I let him off the hook and told him I was pregnant. It was mean but funny.
  • moon791991
    Options
    why do you feel so bad? you didnt do anything wrong... only pay attention to what serves you and be happy.
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it, shake it off and take this one day at a time. Think about where you want to be 6 months from now and concentrate on that! You can do this!!

^^ Best advise. I'm sorry this happened. Use it as fuel :)