Major Blow to My Confidence Today-Rude People

Options

Replies

• rachjenn
    Options
    That's awful, I'm sorry to hear someone said that to you!!

If I was you, I'd complain to the manager. It'd make that girl think twice about not thinking before she opens her mouth in future. To say it is one thing, to say the 3 month bit is even worse!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone is saying something nasty to me I will say 1 of 2 things either "what?" cuz I am always surprised that people are willing to say rotten crap twice. Or I say "you have a booger" true or not it usually shuts them up.
  • chunkylover22
    chunkylover22 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    "When someone hurts your feelings punch them in the face. Seriously, punch them in the face and go get some ice cream."
    -Unknown author
  • cherylea1
    cherylea1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That happened to me at work before, twice actually. It feels like sh** when people say stuff like that! The nerve of people to be so rude. The positive behind that is, it gives you more strength to do even better! You can do it and so can't I. The first time someone asked me that, I almost cried right there, but the second time it happened, I laughed and told the woman she was very rude and should keep her thoughts to herself! Her look back was priceless and helps me keep my confidence strong! When people are rude, give it back to them! They will feel ashamed and get some decency to keep thier mouth's shut next time :)

I live by the saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!" Although, when people are shooting down someone's self asteem and confidence, that's my time to give it back! haha
  • ashvegas99
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support guys! I forgot to add this to my original post, but I responded by saying that I wasn't pregnant, but fat. She kept on going though. I will use this for motivation. She will be chomping more on her words next time she sees me!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Your profile doesn't say what country you are in.

What you do - if it ever happens again - depends on how wicked you feel and how likely you are to see tham again.

If they know you then you are a little limited but can get away with, "Now you of all people should know better than that" - very loudly.

otherwise, thespian skills to the fore, crestfallen expression and sobbing voice - "Sadly, I am not now".

You have not lied, but you may have - just a little - tacitly suggested that you MIGHT have been. I defy anyone to continue the conversation in the face of an apparent miscarriage.

Alternatively, just get your husband to say, "Before you ask when the baby is due, be very, very sure....." - and leave the sentence unfinished. It carries more sting if you leave them to work it out. If they can't and do actually ask then tell them to think about it and leave...!

You could take your cue from a story attributed to Sir WInston Churchill who, when accused by a female MP of being drunk in parliament replied, "Madam, you are ugly - in the morning I shall be sober".
    Pick on some physical attribute of the other person and let rip, if you dare!

I carry nearly all my girth on my waistband - it is annoying that my arms and legs are getting spindlier but I assure my gut that its days are numbered every morning when I poke it - and turn a deaf ear to its reply that it has been over 60 years and counting so far.

I am Welsh - sarcasm is an art-form
  • dcdemocrat34
    Options
    I would have asked ARE YOU? That usually shuts people up;.
  • ashvegas99
    Options

What you do - if it ever happens again - depends on how wicked you feel and how likely you are to see tham again.

If they know you then you are a little limited but can get away with, "Now you of all people should know better than that" - very loudly.

otherwise, thespian skills to the fore, crestfallen expression and sobbing voice - "Sadly, I am not now".

You have not lied, but you may have - just a little - tacitly suggested that you MIGHT have been. I defy anyone to continue the conversation in the face of an apparent miscarriage.

Alternatively, just get your husband to say, "Before you ask when the baby is due, be very, very sure....." - and leave the sentence unfinished. It carries more sting if you leave them to work it out. If they can't and do actually ask then tell them to think about it and leave...!

You could take your cue from a story attributed to Sir WInston Churchill who, when accused by a female MP of being drunk in parliament replied, "Madam, you are ugly - in the morning I shall be sober".

I carry nearly all my girth on my waistband - it is annoying that my arms and legs are getting spindlier but I assure my gut that its days are numbered every morning when I poke it - and turn a deaf ear to its reply that it has been over 60 years and counting so far.

LOL! I like those! I am an American and Welsh humor is always appreciated!
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me on Thanksgiving, only it came from a relative:

A (least favorite) relative I haven't seen in over 20 years asked if I was pregnant. To add insult to injury, she hands me a plate of salad and says, "Eat this, it won't make you fat. I'm proof of it, I eat it everyday." The statement itself, didn't bother me, as I am well aware that I carry ALL my extra weight around my mid-section. For what it's worth: I am 5'3" and weigh 129.8. What did bother me, however, was the fact that the statement came from someone who was hit with an ugly stick at birth. The troll was hardly skinny herself, and had back-rolls to boot. It took every ounce of restraint in me to not commit murder that day, so instead, I went for a 12 mile walk to simmer down.

The beauty of what happened is that I have the ability to fix my fat issues through diet and exercise. She, on the other hand, will never be able to fix how ugly she is, inside AND out.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I would never ask someone if they were pregnant. It's so rude. You should be proud of yourself for working hard to lose weight. Screw that lady! You'll be sexier and fitter than her in no time! Take that hurt and turn it into energy <3
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I wish people would learn that it is just not a good idea to comment on someone's body. It's none of your business and it's rude. It may also get you injured, because I swear if one more person asks me that... :devil:
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I had this happen to me in a nail salon after I had already lost 30 pounds, so you can imagine I felt awesome. Plus if I was pregnant I'd never be in a nail salon, exposing my unborn to the acrylic particles and acetone vapors. I felt a little less crappy since the poor woman that asked was SO embarrassed.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    "Are you pregnant?"

"That depends? Are you interested in a frontal lobotomy?"

Or even better

"No, I'm just shop lifting."
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I was at the grocery store with my husband today and we had just finished checking out and were putting the last of our bags into the cart. There was woman that was checking out after us and she had the gall to ask me if I was pregnant. I tell her that I am not pregnant and give her the most evil look ever. She goes "I am so sorry. Do you have any kids now?" I keep telling her "No I don't". At this point, I am fighting the tears. Then she goes "I am so sorry. If this makes you feel any better, you only look 3 mos. pregnant." I give her another evil look and ran out of the store. On top of feeling humiliated and angry, it makes me want to lose weight even more. I carry more of the weight in my belly so I guess I will be ramping up my workout routine to work off the gut. It is a shame how little people care anymore :(.

Like you, I get comments like that because I carry my weight or my overweight in my stomach so some people have asked me if I am pregnant or asked "when are you due"? When I said "I am not pregnant" One dumbell had the gull to say "you are fat enough be pregnant". I looked at her and smiled to be polite, but I wanted to slam her against a wall. Some people have such gull!! But, I know the humiliation only too well. That and other fat comments can make us lose our confidence, but I won't let it stop me. Now, I just see it as others making stupid comments and being ignorant. We are taking action and doing something about our weight loss. Be glad. I know I am.

You should have told them they looked like they had the IQ to be stupid.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

You win today, sir.
  • IslandRider
    Options
    It's all water off a duck's back babe. You can fix your problem; she will always remain clueless. LOL

A cool response would have been: "Well, I wanted to tell you but your husband said it would be best for him to....."

Oh snap..lmao

^^^THIS!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My friend's father in law asked if she was pregnant at Thanksgiving. She took it in stride, but I would have been crying inside.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    She could have at least apologised when she offended you the first time and not dig it in deeper. Aw. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Well, I have been insulted many times about my weight for the past few years since I gained a truck ton and the rude comments on a newspaper article I appeared in this August was the last straw.

I have lost weight since then, I used that anger as motivation. Now I just focus on me :) hehe. Maybe next year when you see that lady again, you can ask her if she has gained some weight :P hehe.
  • RmembrWhy
    RmembrWhy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So rude and insensitive. I'm sorry that happened to you. Just goes to show that certain people have no filters. You continue on your journey and hold your head high despite it all :)
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I'm sure she felt worse than you did.

Ugh - sorry that happened.

This.

Sometimes the most simple of comments can be said and hurt someone elses feelings....but the person saying them may not have meant it in any rude way.