Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

Options

Replies

• _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    Honestly? I just looked them up and I dont see whats so special. They have pretty faces, look like they work out. I wouldnt say they starve themselves from the looks of them but they look like most models do, not really different from the usual. Why is everyone losing their minds over these people? Actually, one of them has a 12yr olds face....kind of weird we're all watching her in her underwear.... Also, victorias secret is the WORST BRA MAKER EVA! They always tell me Im a 34DD and I am a 30E or F! The 34 band slips all over the place! They dont care how a bra fits you as long as you buy one, which I think is quiet rude! So no..didnt watch it hehe:ohwell:
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Do you have any evidence that any of the VS models in the show have eating disorders?

Seriously?????? c'mon.....

What? What makes you say that, because they have nice bodies? They're paid to be professionally hot. That's their job.

"nice" is a relative term. They look kinda skinny fat and flabby to me... but maybe i'm just too harsh.

Also, their outfits are ridiculous. Just sayin

Fit and muscular/athletic isn't everyone's goal. That is something that is hard for some people to remember, even myself.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's true that VS does not have the proper range in sizing (which is true for many companies, I got used to that a long time ago and don't shop in stores).

I saw the show last night, and it was not too boring or cheesy (except for Justin Bieber). The models were healthy, full of energy. They did not have ED's, or "skinny fat", or flabby, or wiggly. That's just body hate and body shaming.

Some of the models are in their thirties and they are mothers. They are not 12. I'm a mother, and I think it's great that they are as well. And some of them lift weights. I don't feel bad about myself when watching the show. I feel good about myself.

I like Lily Aldridge.

If the fashion show seems to be causing problems for young women, then that is a much deeper issue that we need to find a way to address. It's not about the show. It's about a deeper problem.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, I would've been bitter and turned my nose up to it, but now that I'm older, I'll totally watch it. The female form is beautiful, as are the costumes to me! The models work hard to get there, the good way or the bad way but nonetheless, it'll be cool to watch. :)
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I have never watched it. Not because of self-esteem issues, but because I don't care.

This exactly. =D
  • peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    Options
    I watched it. The full hour!! It was fantabulous!!!
    It just makes me happy to watch the high-energy- glamour-fashionnnn!!!!
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I thought it was fun, energetic and beautiful. It is supposed to be fantasy so take it for that and enjoy. I loved the Dangerous Liasons section at the beginning. Lots of movie moments and tips of the hats to those amazing costumes. I loved that part.
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just want to say that this show aired at 10 pm (east coast) and is called victoria secret fashion show. In no way was this directed at children. If it gets them ratings, so be it. I would just hope if you are old enough to watch it, you are stable or mature enought to handle it without loosing your mind.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    Whoever thinks they have eating disorders has never seen a person with anorexia/bulimia. I strongly believe they work hard and eat haelthy to archieve that look. I mean, look at those sexy muscles!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    They're not MY role models. I don't want to look like that. I think they look rather UNHEALTHY. I want to look good (healthy and strong, not skinny.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not. I don't have a problem with it, though. I haven't seen a VS model that could kick my *kitten* yet, so I feel very secure.

I used to moonlight at VS for a while, so maybe I'm biased.

^^yeah, I only feel intimidated by people I think might be able to kick my *kitten*. And I'm tiny, so that should be a lot of people, but I have chihuahua syndrome so I think I can take everybody.

I didn't watch simply because I don't have a tv with a converter box, and I didn't realize it was on. I may have to try to find it on the interwebs now, though. I worry more about my budget than my waistline when I watch pretty things strutting around.
  • LMick1986
    Options
    I don't know. I mean, I'm not going to jump on the "I hate all models because they're unrealistic" bandwagon. I don't find that to be true. I think it's attainable for the right body. We have to remember that these women are very tall....they obviously carry weight a lot different than us shorter folks. I won't say that all models eat healthy and workout, but I haven't found anything about the VS models that say they take the unhealthy approach. They are pretty strict about what they eat (as we all are on here....or any health person for that matter). They workout a lot (as most of us try to). The only thing I'd think could possibly come into question is the "marathon" before the runway show. They kind of do this thing where they drink gallons of water, workout twice a day, then switch to protein shakes several days before the show, then drink water normal, then nothing 12 hours before the show. That seems kinda legit though. It doesn't sound dangerous to me, as it's not something they keep at for extended periods of time. It's a small fast they do right before runway....which tons of people do to clean out their bodies maybe a couple times a year. It's like an athlete training for a sport. They stick to a strict regiment. So I DID watch the show....and I loved it! I don't cry over the fact I'll never look like any of them.....as I'm 5'3", not 5'11". I'll never have a body like that. But with hard work, I can get MY best body and love it!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I can't watch it because I find it extremely triggering for my ED but they do not look like women with eating disorders.

Out of interest, and without any "judging" going on, why can't you use them to inspire you to achieve the "perfect" body by non-ED means if you know they do not have EDs?

As a recovering anorexic (of over a decade), I for sure never used a VS model as "thinspiration" (and often didn't look at any models, having had more issues with control... but when I did look at people, boy was rehab-Mary-Kate my most looked at), I can't speak for that poster, but I can say:

An ED is a "disorder"; your mind is not thinking clearly. The rate of correlation between body dysmorphia and EDs is huge. So, you see a healthy model... but someone who is a model because they have the means to be, were born with a certain aesthetic, etc. You, being unable to properly see yourself, feel extreme shame, discomfort, self-hate, whatever. You don't register the, "She's paid to look like that." You just think, "I need to try and look like that," and since you have the whole "disordered eating," you start starving or purging or overexercising instead of following a healthy plan.

It's a ****ed mind cycle. That's not everyone's, but an observation.

As for the claims (not by you) that VS models have disordered eating... I would think by this point on many of your MFP journeys, you'd know they can't have muscle tone like that on a huge deficit. They have their famous "sort of crash" diets right before the show, but otherwise... they're hardly the hangers on a real runway (who, as many designers have said, literally are just "hangers" for their work).

Thanks for the reply. I can see what you mean. It makes sense from the perspective of someone with an ED. A compulsion, of sorts.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    that is a good idea... putting the picture of one of them where you put your sweets. Brings a little perspective to ones 'splurges'. I might do that. I wont be watching it.and it is because it will make me feel bad about myself, i'm honest about that. i'm 15 lbs from my pre baby weight. and every time i put on my club clothes (or try) i'm reminded of it. mind you i've only gone out dancing with my husband 2x since her birth 6 months ago. but, still.... i've put all those clothes in a visable box in my closet marked (pre-baby). my goal is to get back into all of them by her 1st birthday.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I watched it and it was AWESOME. Some extremely sexy ladies. I personally like that "type"
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    They're not MY role models. I don't want to look like that. I think they look rather UNHEALTHY. I want to look good (healthy and strong, not skinny.

They have a dietitian and personal trainer. I'm sure they are perfectly healthy. Most people would even say gorgeous.
  • kellis155
    Options
    I have never watched it. Not because of self-esteem issues, but because I don't care.

This!! =D
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I watch it, and have watched it for the last couple years. I missed part of it and only saw the last half hour but I thought the girls looked really good. I thought last year a few of them looked too thin but this year all the girls I saw looked great.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

I disagree. They don't look unhealthy at all. If anything, they looked even curvier this year than any other year. But if you've ever paid attention or watched the show, you'd see they have toned abs and muscular legs. I'm certainly not saying what they look like is something every girl can or should achieve. They are, after all, genetic wonders standing 6 feet tall on they're mile-long legs and looking like porcelain dolls. However, they are not your vogue runway models that look sickly. Victoria's Secret wouldn't do a good job at selling bras and underwear if their models didn't have curves. Just my opinion :flowerforyou:
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I watched it for 10 minutes yesterday and my first thought was, "You cannot look like that without working out!" I googled it and found that they have a pretty decent diet and work out quite a bit! Couple of them had great looking abs and their legs look like they work out (except they aren't supposed to do squats apparently because they don't want the thighs to bulk up)! I didn't see ribs and collar bones and elbows poking out like usual runway models. I thought they looked pretty good! Granted they are chosen for their jobs because they were born with good genes but that's not enough to look like them! Also, just because they are really thin, does not mean they have an ED. Anyway, I got bored after Rihanna's performance (another super sexy lady!) and since I had calories left, ate a slice of chocolate cake.