Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

Options
Hi everyone!

Tonight CBS will air the Victoria's Secret fashion show at 10/9c. Here is some food for thought you should read if you plan to watch tonight.

After last year's VS fashion show, which was watched by 10.3 million viewers, females could be seen on Twitter tweeting things like "Okay, so no eating," "2 hour workouts start tomorrow," and "Are they trying to make me starve myself?" Females of all ages can’t help but look at these models as prototypes for which they feel they should look like. I’m sure that some of the models work very hard to slim down, working out hard and eating right, or they have fantastic will-power, or they just have crazy metabolisms. Whatever it is, I’m sure some get their slender figures the “honest way.” I’m also quite certain that some of the models do it the “wrong way.” That is, they starve themselves and may even purge after eating. It is very sad to think that any portion of our population, whether young or old, might feel the need to harm themselves just to look like these models. And frankly, it’s just sort of hard to watch an emaciated young woman strut down the runway. Like I said, I don’t feel that all of the models are starving themselves; it would be unfair to make that assumption. However, for those who are doing it the unhealthy way, it is a serious mental health issue that the media has continued to ignore. It is also perpetuating these images to younger generations of girls and endangering their self worth as a result.

What do you think? Will you be watching the fashion show tonight?

***Disclaimer-- Let me just say that I absolutely respect those who will be watching the show tonight. I do not disapprove of the fashion show or Victoria’s Secret (I’m a loyal customer!) I simply choose not to watch the show because of an unrealistic, often unhealthy, ideal presented by the media.

- MT/RT

Replies

• plaingirly
    Options
    I am in England so I don't know when it will air over here. Might watch it!

One news site over here posted story after story about the models. I think the models must work out super hard to look like that plus being blessed with beauty / good genetics.

Don't think it would pressure me as I am far too short and hobbit like to be a model! I do like the hair and make up looks though!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Many are anorexic, bulimic and are not good role models for our daughters, wives, etc... the idea that these women are portrayed as the ideal in our society is totally absurd... I love Edna Mode's line from the Incredibles... "Supermodels... there's nothing super about them... skinny little stick figures with poofy lips."
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Will watch for heavenly blessed beauties in skimpy attire.
  • towardthesunshine
    Options
    I personally can't watch it. As stupid and childish as it seems, I already have self-esteem issues and watching these beautiful, thin, toned, happy-looking women strut down the runway makes me feel more inadequate than usual. I'm also in agreement with you -- if you can watch it, great! And congrats to those women, it's their JOB to look beautiful all the time. I'm also a loyal VS customer :D I just know that the show isn't so good for me personally.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    No, I won't be watching it. Will there be a Calvin Klein men's underwear models fashion show immediately following?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Will not watch, wife won't let me.

Will look for on youtube tomorrow.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I have never watched it. Not because of self-esteem issues, but because I don't care.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Will you be doing that while she is asleep also? :wink:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Nah, i'll wait until mfp gets boring
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I WILL BE WATCHING THAT MOTHER EFFIN SHOW!!!!!! CANT WAIT!! :drinker:
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    While I may not necessarily covet their bodies, the show is full of half naked women in heels and underwear ... hell yes I'll be watching. And so will my husband.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options

Shouldnt get boring with all the incoming posts about super models and how they ruin peoples lives.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I've read not that they're starving themselves, but that they stop drinking water 2 days before to slim down.

WTF man. stop drinking water to look hot? at least they're being paid the mega bucks
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Many are anorexic, bulimic and are not good role models for our daughters, wives, etc... the idea that these women are portrayed as the ideal in our society is totally absurd... I love Edna Mode's line from the Incredibles... "Supermodels... there's nothing super about them... skinny little stick figures with poofy lips."

Well stated :flowerforyou:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

quMVO.gif
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    IN before
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTudvGbIfRDxvKlxxqgN5b-DeKRrptVKr4w8mGxAT7FdF0lb3ff
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Do you have any evidence that any of the VS models in the show have eating disorders?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I'm watching for the bewbies.

I didn't even realize they had bodies attached to them...who knew?
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Let the body hate begin...
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options

quMVO.gif