Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

Options

Replies

• MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many of us feel intimidated or "less than" if we meet an astrophysicist? We can't be ALL things. "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is great in others belong to us as well" - Voltaire:smooched:

If the astrophysicist was Neil deGrasse Tyson I'd be intimidated. And a little giddy. And really excited!

I might watch the show. I'm always in the market for nice lingerie. The models don't effect me much one way or the other. They are young.... like, my granddaughter's age.... and not something I have now or ever aspired to be. I like me just fine! I even liked overweight me. I just like thinner me better in a pair of jeans.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me. I'll set my DVR immmediatly! I love watching almost nekkid beautiful women in heels walk the runway in glamorous glitter wings. I get what you're saying but those who want to be unhealthy will not benefit from this rant.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I model... or used to.... I gained queit abit of weight and while I still got jobs they weren't the quality jobs I wanted... I realized I wan't happy with my body and my body was the problem... Since I'm loosing weight and getting back in shape I have the jobs I want being offered to me again.

When it comes to print and fashion...Clothes simply look better on thin tall women. There are less things to worry about with them... Tall and thin is easier to photograph....

The people that choose to hire me, at 5'2'', sometimes struggle to get the same picture that a girl thats 5'10'' would have taken the first frame...

I love the VS fashion show. It gives me a body to aspire to.... Most of the girls, the faces of VS at least have banging toned bodies!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    If the astrophysicist was Neil deGrasse Tyson I'd be intimidated. And a little giddy. And really excited!

I might watch the show. I'm always in the market for nice lingerie. The models don't effect me much one way or the other. They are young.... like, my granddaughter's age.... and not something I have nor or ever aspired to be. I like me just fine! I even liked overweight me. I just like thinner me better in a pair of jeans.

is it weird that i fantasize about having dinner with him? :D
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options

I might watch the show. I'm always in the market for nice lingerie. The models don't effect me much one way or the other. They are young.... like, my granddaughter's age.... and not something I have nor or ever aspired to be. I like me just fine! I even liked overweight me. I just like thinner me better in a pair of jeans.

is it weird that i fantasize about having dinner with him? :D

I've watched him on Bill Maher. I'd love to pick his brain.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Not interested.

I have two girls of my own, I do not like the standards presented in these shows. I want to encourage good health before appearance with them.

However I will say, that while skinny is not always healthy (in fact in most the cases I personally have seen, the people are not healthy at all), it's also not always unhealthy.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have never watched it. Not because of self-esteem issues, but because I don't care.

ditto
  • cwashkowiak
    cwashkowiak Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I personally can't watch it. As stupid and childish as it seems, I already have self-esteem issues and watching these beautiful, thin, toned, happy-looking women strut down the runway makes me feel more inadequate than usual. I'm also in agreement with you -- if you can watch it, great! And congrats to those women, it's their JOB to look beautiful all the time. I'm also a loyal VS customer :D I just know that the show isn't so good for me personally.

I agree, totally admire the models for all the hard work they do to look like that and LOVE VS, I just feel better not watching it!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna watch it while dipping Cool Ranch Doritos into a tub of triple chocolate ice cream

Probably gonna have a good cry too
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    Using Marisa Miller as an example, VS girls are anomalies of the human body. Marisa Miller is 110 pounds but carries a set of 34D's on her chest. And then add the fact that her breasts defy gravity. They're naturally super perky. Now, I get it...some breasts are naturally perky. I get that. But a 34 inch bust, 23 inch waist, 110 pounds, and D cups. That's just freaky.

I have a theory that VS models are genetically engineered.
    I 100% agree
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i lot of people seem to care enough to let everyone know they dont care. :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    i lot of people seem to care enough to let everyone know they dont care. :)

HOW MANY DRAMATIC WAYS MUST I PROVE IT TO YOU
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Who is Victoria? And what is this secret she has?

I know you're making a joke, but, oh, god, I can't help myself. The English Lit major... bubbling up... inside...

Queen Victoria never showed her ankles (like every other "reputable" woman of that era), much less her undergarments, so underwear is Victoria's (dirty) Secret.

I'm sorry, you guys, really.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Boobs, heels, hair, pretty costumes. I'm watching.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    After googling "Victoria's secret" I give them : 5.5/10
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    for anyone in the UK interested it airs on the 22nd December for us, saw in article in the newspaper about it today.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    If I wasn't studying for finals I would totally watch it. Those girls are HOT!

Yes, the girls in the show are beautiful. However, that's their JOB. They watch what they eat and workout, obviously. If my job was to look that hot I'm sure as hell I would look that good (as good as genetics would allow me to).

It makes me sad how seriously women look up to models and harm themselves to look more like them. Everyone is beautiful in their own way, these women were just chosen for a certain visual brand-asthetic. I'm not against a specific event or show just because the women portrayed are beautiful, fit, and healthy. Yes they are thin, but they aren't emaciated like many models in the fashion industry are.
  • tasiamere
    Options
    I might watch...I love Victoria's Secret and I don't envy them most of them always have the angry face when modeling...perhaps they're hungry. With that said it is only right that if I do watch it, I watch it while eating dinner.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I think the uneducated in health/fitness are the ones who are making this unrealistic expectation that to become "skinny models" is beauty. It's fashion, it's art. I used to be one of those heavier girls that would be envious of the "skinny" girl, it wasn't until I lost weight that I really noticed what makes a person "skinny".

I happen to have a small bone frame therefore making me appear small. I NEVER thought I was the kind of person who could actually look small and fit into a size 4. I personally, find it insulting when people say OH society only likes those stick skinny, size 4, size 2 girls. I'm 5,7'', I used to wear a size 18 at my largest (for quite a while, most of my teenage years I wore 16). I look just plain old bad at a heavier weight because ALL fat collects in the most unflattering area, my belly. I wear a 4 now and I'm finally considered healthy and it's FINALLY not a pain in the butt to buy clothing.

Anyway, anyone can be glamorous no matter their "number", it just takes getting to the healthy that's fits for your personal body type/bone frame.

And I bet there's more models out there nowadays who are more educated about being healthy rather than being unhealthy in maintaining their stature. It's their job to be thin and look appealing to the masses and if they can't maintain that healthfully then that's their job out the window.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Who is Victoria? And what is this secret she has?

I know you're making a joke, but, oh, god, I can't help myself. The English Lit major... bubbling up... inside...

Queen Victoria never showed her ankles (like every other "reputable" woman of that era), much less her undergarments, so underwear is Victoria's (dirty) Secret.

I'm sorry, you guys, really.

Actually quite interesting. Thank you for sharing!