Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

Options

Replies

• happypath101
    Options
    I did a very interesting thing this year. For my boyfriend's Christmas present I went and had boudoir photos shot. I lost 7 pounds (the healthy way). I didn't drink alcohol for a month before the shoot. I didn't eat salt for a week before the shoot. I worked out 5-6 days a week for 4 months. I went to the spa and got wrapped to reduce bloat. Then, I took a deep breath and did the shoot.

I didn't like every picture I got back. But, some of them I LOVE!

So, now, it's WAY easier to look at those beauties strutting their stuff because my stuff didn't look so bad in the perfect conditions either. :)
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I wonder - is it at all distinctly possible that they don't have an eating disorder but perhaps logged their calories to ensure a calorie deficit whilst also sweating their arses off in the gym?

To claim that VS models all have EDs is like me claiming that all Men's Health models do steroids, is it not?

That is absurd. ;)
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I will be watching, I do not think that just because someone is blessed with good looks and works hard to be skinny that they deserve a bad rap either. And I do not long to be like them or have issues with my own body as a result of watching, yes I would like a body like that, but even once I lose the weight I will not look like that as I am not built that way and I am happy my goals and being fit in the end.

Too many focus on what others look like or what others think, healthy changes and body images begin within....I'm tired of people blaming others cause they haven't learned to love themselves!
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    How are we so sure that most of them have eating disorders?

I'll be watching, maybe judging who has the nicest rack, but wont be judging their eating habits _______!
  • jentarver
    Options
    No it depends on the values you instill in your child's mind as to what they look for in a role model. Come on. Society isn't all to blame for warping peoples minds.

What is the point of this post? V.S. models look nothing like they used to. They are getting much healthier bodies compared to the past.

How about Matthew McConaughey or Anne Hathaway?

Do you let your kids watch Princess Diaries? Do you watch any movies starring him?? Have you seen any of the Christian Bale Batman movies??

They have ALL starved themselves for roles in movies. Openly starved themselves. Yet I don't hear anyone mentioning boycotting them over it.

Grow Up people, stop complaining and stop badgering.

The models are beautiful. You are beautiful. Embrace the differences in this world, and stop freaking complaining!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Tonight CBS will air the Victoria's Secret fashion show at 10/9c. Here is some food for thought you should read if you plan to watch tonight.

After last year's VS fashion show, which was watched by 10.3 million viewers, females could be seen on Twitter tweeting things like "Okay, so no eating," "2 hour workouts start tomorrow," and "Are they trying to make me starve myself?" Females of all ages can’t help but look at these models as prototypes for which they feel they should look like. I’m sure that some of the models work very hard to slim down, working out hard and eating right, or they have fantastic will-power, or they just have crazy metabolisms. Whatever it is, I’m sure some get their slender figures the “honest way.” I’m also quite certain that some of the models do it the “wrong way.” That is, they starve themselves and may even purge after eating. It is very sad to think that any portion of our population, whether young or old, might feel the need to harm themselves just to look like these models. And frankly, it’s just sort of hard to watch an emaciated young woman strut down the runway. Like I said, I don’t feel that all of the models are starving themselves; it would be unfair to make that assumption. However, for those who are doing it the unhealthy way, it is a serious mental health issue that the media has continued to ignore. It is also perpetuating these images to younger generations of girls and endangering their self worth as a result.

What do you think? Will you be watching the fashion show tonight?

***Disclaimer-- Let me just say that I absolutely respect those who will be watching the show tonight. I do not disapprove of the fashion show or Victoria’s Secret (I’m a loyal customer!) I simply choose not to watch the show because of an unrealistic, often unhealthy, ideal presented by the media.

- MT/RT

Why, here's some food for thought. Victoria's Secret also has a work out program for the seven weeks prior to the show that they advertise rather decently. It advocates getting off of your butt and exercising. What is truly disgusting is that these women are constantly accused of having eating disorders because they have thin, toned bodies. Who's really perpetuating this gross stereotype? The models or the insecure women who have themselves convinced that it can't possibly be hard work and dedication that sculpted the models because THEY don't look like that.

p3jbE.gif
  • 1sneakykiki
    1sneakykiki Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I watch the show happily, understanding three basic truths:

1) They are selling a fantasy. In reality, if I walked into the bedroom wearing this (http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/16/11/51/3709537/7/628x471.jpg), my fiancé would laugh his @ss off.

2) If it were my 24/7 job to look model underwear for Victoria's Secret, I would have the backing of a modeling agency and all the help money could buy (nutritionists, nannies, personal trainers, personal chefs, personal assistants, makeup artists, hairstylists, spa treatments, physicians, etc.) If we all had as much help as they do, a lot of us would have no need to come on MFP for support.

3) What looks like effortless glamour to us is hard work to most of them. Gisele Bundchen's twin sister (who is not a model: http://cdn.latina.com/files/imagecache/post-large-image/gisele_patricia_bundchen_twin_sister_wedding_0323_article.jpg) gives me a bit of insight into how Gisele might look if she wasn't paid millions to stay so fit. Have you read the fitness/diet regimen Heidi Klum was on to lose her baby weight last year to be in the show? My muscles cramp up just thinking about it. I'd much rather get fit and look good for my own benefit, rather than having my paycheck depend on it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Not only do I have no interest in the show, I have no interest in buying their undies.

I think the Stewie from Family Guy boyshorts I was wearing last night, that read, "YOU WILL OBEY ME" sends a much better message to my husband.

And he did. :bigsmile:
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'd watch it if it aired over here! These models are beautiful, and as many have said before, they are paid MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to look this good, heck, if someone offered me 10 grand my *kitten* woulda been in perfect shape months ago. Victoria's Secret is not required to choose different models to make you feel better.
  • bradymeans
    bradymeans Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    those are some baaaaaaad women :) inspiration for sure to stay on track. but i've never watched it, just not interested...
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Won't be watching it because I'll be in an exam. I must say, models get too much flack. I'm a big fan of Victoria's Secret, and I think their models look great... not emaciated (like some high fashion models). I think with their sport line, they have really been pushing their models to put on a little muscle too, which is a positive move towards promoting a more healthy ideal.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    I've never watched this and honestly have no desire to watch it. I don't need any more media infiltrating my head or my daughter's head of how we *should* look if we want to be considered sexy, attractive, and/or desired. Yes, I shop there because I like pretty things...but it doesn't interest me to dedicate however much time of my night to wishing I looked like someone else when I really just need to be content with how awesome I am already. *sigh*

Oh, and I don't haz cable.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Tonight CBS will air the Victoria's Secret fashion show at 10/9c. Here is some food for thought you should read if you plan to watch tonight.

After last year's VS fashion show, which was watched by 10.3 million viewers, females could be seen on Twitter tweeting things like "Okay, so no eating," "2 hour workouts start tomorrow," and "Are they trying to make me starve myself?" Females of all ages can’t help but look at these models as prototypes for which they feel they should look like. I’m sure that some of the models work very hard to slim down, working out hard and eating right, or they have fantastic will-power, or they just have crazy metabolisms. Whatever it is, I’m sure some get their slender figures the “honest way.” I’m also quite certain that some of the models do it the “wrong way.” That is, they starve themselves and may even purge after eating. It is very sad to think that any portion of our population, whether young or old, might feel the need to harm themselves just to look like these models. And frankly, it’s just sort of hard to watch an emaciated young woman strut down the runway. Like I said, I don’t feel that all of the models are starving themselves; it would be unfair to make that assumption. However, for those who are doing it the unhealthy way, it is a serious mental health issue that the media has continued to ignore. It is also perpetuating these images to younger generations of girls and endangering their self worth as a result.

What do you think? Will you be watching the fashion show tonight?

***Disclaimer-- Let me just say that I absolutely respect those who will be watching the show tonight. I do not disapprove of the fashion show or Victoria’s Secret (I’m a loyal customer!) I simply choose not to watch the show because of an unrealistic, often unhealthy, ideal presented by the media.

- MT/RT

Why, here's some food for thought. Victoria's Secret also has a work out program for the seven weeks prior to the show that they advertise rather decently. It advocates getting off of your butt and exercising. What is truly disgusting is that these women are constantly accused of having eating disorders because they have thin, toned bodies. Who's really perpetuating this gross stereotype? The models or the insecure women who have themselves convinced that it can't possibly be hard work and dedication that sculpted the models because THEY don't look like that.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Ehh I shop at Fredericks...not VS.

oh rely?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    *kitten* *kitten* *kitten*
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    We don't watch tv in our home, but I have seen the models. There are a couple of them that look fabulous, well they all look fabulous, but...I remember when I got a mail coupon from the company and the model featured looked very unhealthy. She looked like she was starving, super tall and rib bones out and such. It wasn't natural looking. Some women have rib features naturally but you could totally tell this woman needed to put on a good 5 pounds.

It's hard to not look at these women and feel bad. They are what society thinks is hot. And yes, they are. But they are far to thin for their height and I don't think that the body weight is healthy. Guess that's just the job though, right?
  • jeepgirl4ever
    Options
    I've read about several of the models. They have crazy workouts for 3 months before the show. 2 to 4 hour work outs a day, plus serious dieting. It is their job to look great, and they get paid well for it. But, they still have to put in the work to look like that. I'm sure alot of women would get amazing results, by working out 4 hrs a day, and sticking to a strict diet. The majority of these models literally work their *kitten* off to look that good.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Of course I'll be watching!!!

Wish there was a Calvin Klein undies fashion show in existence...now THAT would just rock my socks. (bet no one would call those guys "anorexic" either)

Its their job to look hot. And they do it very well.

People need to stop blaming models for their lack of discipline or shortcomings. Blame your parents or something, jeez.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    We don't watch tv in our home, but I have seen the models. There are a couple of them that look fabulous, well they all look fabulous, but...I remember when I got a mail coupon from the company and the model featured looked very unhealthy. She looked like she was starving, super tall and rib bones out and such. It wasn't natural looking. Some women have rib features naturally but you could totally tell this woman needed to put on a good 5 pounds.

It's hard to not look at these women and feel bad. They are what society thinks is hot. And yes, they are. But they are far to thin for their height and I don't think that the body weight is healthy. Guess that's just the job though, right?

You feel bad for them? Seriously?
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many of us feel intimidated or "less than" if we meet an astrophysicist? We can't be ALL things. "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is great in others belong to us as well" - Voltaire:smooched:

This might be my most favorite post ever.