PUT THE DAMN PHONE AWAY!!!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    In some cases people are checking their phones to check what exercise they have to do next, especially if it is a new program or you are doing supersets. You might be entering the weight you used and how many reps you did etc to keep track of your progress.

Lots of people have kids and business to take care of. If you have a 60 second rest, what is wrong with testing your daughter to see what time she is coming home?

If somebody wants to call or text let them, get on with your workout and stop being naïve as to what people could be doing on their phone UNLESS they are playing chess and hogging the barbell or something annoying.
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    No way- I pay my dues and its "Me" time at the gym. Its the only place I can have a phone conversation without my kids hanging all over me whining. And I figure it helps my cardio- I am doing the talk test to judge how hard I am working.. Plus the treadmill is so loud I have to yell. I am sorry you have to hear about the minute details of my life. I am sure the your surly attitude is based on jealousy- you wish you had my amazing life. BWAHAHHAHHAh- this is sarcasm just in case anyone was wondering.

I have my phone- its on iheart radio. I have my pinterests boards available for motivation for my 90 second rests. If my machine/weight is busy I am familiar enough with the weightroom to substitue another excercise. Worse comes to worse, I will walk up to the other patron and ask how much longer they will be on the machine, politely. Personally, I'm pretty focused in the gym. There are days I can't even tell you if I saw other people in the gym. If you are on the phone, talking, sitting doing nothing, I wouldn't know I am not paying attention to your workout. But if you leave the gym equipment sweaty and out for the staff to put away I will wish really negative thoughts toward you, possibly snarl in your general direction, and if possible I will hog the machines/weights to give you time to wipe the equipment down and return it to its proper place.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    then for the sake of all of us..just make 1 thread where you whine about everything that upsets you...ok?
    Lol, for the sake of you mostly. Save yourself the grief and don't participate in my threads if it upsets you.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

LOL thank you for not making a new thread today to whine about something else. maybe make a thread about gym music being too loud or inappropriate? :D
    Actually I would bet that should be made by the members who use their phones because they can't stand the music in the gym.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    In some cases people are checking their phones to check what exercise they have to do next, especially if it is a new program or you are doing supersets. You might be entering the weight you used and how many reps you did etc to keep track of your progress.
    Discussed already.
    Lots of people have kids and business to take care of. If you have a 60 second rest, what is wrong with testing your daughter to see what time she is coming home?
    Again a minute fine. 10 minutes(weight machines or benches), get off then do your business.
    If somebody wants to call or text let them, get on with your workout and stop being naïve as to what people could be doing on their phone UNLESS they are playing chess and hogging the barbell or something annoying.
    Calling/answering phone not allowed on our gym floor and enforced. We don't have issues. And before you say "well you must not have many members" we have 8,000 members. This was requested by our members and it works. Again, it's just good etiquette.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i can picture the OPs gym. bunch of old dudes shaking their fists at technology.

rope_climbing.gif
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i can picture the OPs gym. bunch of old dudes shaking their fists at technology.

rope_climbing.gif
    Lol, here's my Wellness Center. More than just a gym since were part of a hospital.

http://www.valleycare.com/lifestylerx-home.aspx

IDEA Fitness member
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    senior-man-in-knit-cap-shaking-fist-thumb13284846.jpg
  • i will say this, when I am teaching a class and the people on the bikes start playing with their phones that is annoying, cause you came to the cycle class to workout, it is limited space, you want to play on your phone wait until after class, or leave the room and let someone else use that bike.

it is annoying but I dont say anything cause Hell it is their workout and if they are too busy playing on their phone to workout then whatever, i know I got a great workout in by teaching.
    I teach cardio/kickboxing class and if anyone did that, they would be out of the class. It's discourteous not only to the instructor, but the class as well.

IDEA Fitness member
    [/quote]

I would never kick someone out of my class. it is annoying yes but they showed up and if they want to text on their phone or check fb instead of working out it is their problem. I hate it and find it rude but they are cheating themselfs out of their workout not me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    i will say this, when I am teaching a class and the people on the bikes start playing with their phones that is annoying, cause you came to the cycle class to workout, it is limited space, you want to play on your phone wait until after class, or leave the room and let someone else use that bike.

it is annoying but I dont say anything cause Hell it is their workout and if they are too busy playing on their phone to workout then whatever, i know I got a great workout in by teaching.
    I teach cardio/kickboxing class and if anyone did that, they would be out of the class. It's discourteous not only to the instructor, but the class as well.

IDEA Fitness member

I would never kick someone out of my class. it is annoying yes but they showed up and if they want to text on their phone or check fb instead of working out it is their problem. I hate it and find it rude but they are cheating themselfs out of their workout not me.
    They are also cheating the other people who wanted to be in that class, but couldn't because they are there taking up a spot, not working out.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    People are stupid idiots. The stupidity will only get worse.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Again it shows that person doesn't respect you enough to put it away.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    phone not allowed on our gym floor and enforced. We don't have issues. And before you say "well you must not have many members" we have 8,000 members. This was requested by our members and it works. Again, it's just good etiquette.

IDEA Fitness member

so this entire thread was a hypothetical?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    phone not allowed on our gym floor and enforced. We don't have issues. And before you say "well you must not have many members" we have 8,000 members. This was requested by our members and it works. Again, it's just good etiquette.

IDEA Fitness member

so this entire thread was a hypothetical?
    People can't talk, but still text. Management is now discussing about it.

IDEA Fitness member