PUT THE DAMN PHONE AWAY!!!

Options

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    again : people just lack common. courtesy these days...see?

i agree. people like the OP should mind their own business and stop telling everyone what they should be doing.
    I opine. You disagree, then disagree.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    [/quote]

then for the sake of all of us..just make 1 thread where you whine about everything that upsets you...ok?
  • i will say this, when I am teaching a class and the people on the bikes start playing with their phones that is annoying, cause you came to the cycle class to workout, it is limited space, you want to play on your phone wait until after class, or leave the room and let someone else use that bike.

it is annoying but I dont say anything cause Hell it is their workout and if they are too busy playing on their phone to workout then whatever, i know I got a great workout in by teaching.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just started using the notepad app on my phone to record workouts. I try to make sure that I am not on the equipment when doing so.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Agreed except that I use my phone to log my workouts so when someone is judging me for ****ing around on my phone I'm really just doing my workout thing.
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I agree, to some extent. I do play games on my phone whilst on my exercise bike AT HOME, but I'd never do it in a gym. I also use my phone for listening to music.

If I was to use my phone in the gym, I'd make sure I'm not using any of the equipment so that other people could use it.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like being tethered to my phone 24/7. It annoys me, and it annoys me that everyone else has them practically surgically fused to the palms of their hands. Give it a rest! There are other things going on around you!

I do like having a cell phone, but will often just leave it at home when I am going places that I don't need it like the gym or the grocery store. I guess I am one of the few left who doesn't like being reachable wherever I am...
  • arachniagirl
    arachniagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I sit and text, watch youtube videos, look up interesting things on the internet, send emails, etc.while sitting on a machine. Personally, if someone wants the machine and doesn't know how, or wishes, to get the same exercise in another manner, they're more then welcome to come ask me to share the machine with them. I will gladly do it! If they're too timid to come ask to "work in", they can enjoy being quietly and discreetly angry in a corner somewhere.

Seriously? What's wrong with using the machine efficiently and then freeing it up for others?

I never disturb people when I'm waiting for machines, instead I hang back and wait for them to finish up. This out of courtesy because I don't like to be disturbed during my sets, I just want to be left alone to do my thing. Obviously I will let someone work in if they ask, but I would prefer that they just wait their turn. I think we should all assume that someone is waiting and conduct ourselves accordingly.
  • awforrest
    Options
    Agreed!!, and while we're at it "Put your damn weights back!!"
  • StarTrekkinDelta
    StarTrekkinDelta Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I really don't see the issue here. I would get about half as much work done if it wasn't for my phone, nook, or ipod. I use them to watch Netflix, read, listen to music, text, or whatever because it keeps my mind off of the task at hand. I end up working harder then I realize and finishing my goal burn in what feels like little to no time because I am distracted. Thus, it making the process a little easier. If I didn't have this option, working out would be much harder for me. Therefore, I seriously do not see the problem. Because if it works? Then what's the big deal? Now, if you are in a training class or something, then understand. But really, other then that...
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    again : people just lack common. courtesy these days...see?

i agree. people like the OP should mind their own business and stop telling everyone what they should be doing.

Pot calling the kettle black, eh?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Perhaps there is history between the OP and his detractors because I can't find the things they say he has said in his posts......
    A couple of the detractors don't like a lot of my threads. I'll leave it at that.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i will say this, when I am teaching a class and the people on the bikes start playing with their phones that is annoying, cause you came to the cycle class to workout, it is limited space, you want to play on your phone wait until after class, or leave the room and let someone else use that bike.

it is annoying but I dont say anything cause Hell it is their workout and if they are too busy playing on their phone to workout then whatever, i know I got a great workout in by teaching.
    I teach cardio/kickboxing class and if anyone did that, they would be out of the class. It's discourteous not only to the instructor, but the class as well.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I really don't see the issue here. I would get about half as much work done if it wasn't for my phone, nook, or ipod. I use them to watch Netflix, read, listen to music, text, or whatever because it keeps my mind off of the task at hand. I end up working harder then I realize and finishing my goal burn in what feels like little to no time because I am distracted. Thus, it making the process a little easier. If I didn't have this option, working out would be much harder for me. Therefore, I seriously do not see the problem. Because if it works? Then what's the big deal? Now, if you are in a training class or something, then understand. But really, other then that...
    Lol, so easy workouts are the way to go.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i will say this, when I am teaching a class and the people on the bikes start playing with their phones that is annoying, cause you came to the cycle class to workout, it is limited space, you want to play on your phone wait until after class, or leave the room and let someone else use that bike.

I teach cardio/kickboxing class and if anyone did that, they would be out of the class. It's discourteous not only to the instructor, but the class as well. People go to theatres, churches, and library willing in public, but for some a reason a gym is a place where being discourteous is okay?

IDEA Fitness member
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I go to the gym to socialize not workout

We all have different goals, don't judge me
    :D

Seriously though, I agree. Get off your damn phone for a minute.
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    I have my cell phone attached to an armband that I use for my music. And I use the MFP app to log my calories lost, however, I won't sit at a machine logging everything in. That's just rude.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I have kids so need my phone with me. Never know whats gonna happen. They rarely text or call while I"m at the gym but you never know. The one time you don't have that cell phone will be the time they needed me. Its already happened. Anyway, when they do text or call while I"m working out I get up off the machine and walk to an area where there isn't anyone within ear shot and take my call then or text. I don't like to hold up the machines.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have kids so need my phone with me. Never know whats gonna happen. They rarely text or call while I"m at the gym but you never know. The one time you don't have that cell phone will be the time they needed me. Its already happened. Anyway, when they do text or call while I"m working out I get up off the machine and walk to an area where there isn't anyone within ear shot and take my call then or text. I don't like to hold up the machines.
    Then you're doing it right. Courtesy still goes a long way.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    then for the sake of all of us..just make 1 thread where you whine about everything that upsets you...ok?
    Lol, for the sake of you mostly. Save yourself the grief and don't participate in my threads if it upsets you.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Lol, for the sake of you mostly. Save yourself the grief and don't participate in my threads if it upsets you.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

LOL thank you for not making a new thread today to whine about something else. maybe make a thread about gym music being too loud or inappropriate? :D