Lame.

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    but it needed to be said...

Not really - it's been said many many times before.
    Although it's been said many times, many ways ...

It will still be said again. *sigh*
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This post is probably going to make a good majority of you angry.
    But you know what...I DON'T CARE.
    I am angry and need to get this out.
    The name of this particular branch of the message boards is "MOTIVATION AND SUPPORT"
    And I for one, see very little of that on here...
    What I have seen in almost every post I have read is A LOT of tearing people down and people being a-holes to random strangers who are looking for, guess what, motivation and support on their particular weight loss journey...
    I don't care who you are and what your story is....but this is supposed to be a POSITIVE place...
    And I personally think that if you don't have anything nice to say, get the eff of the message boards...
    Because I am not going to tolerate being torn down because you feel bad about yourself and feel the need to be a jerk to make yourself feel better...

Have a nice day...and happy weight loss!
    :D

Sometimes people need motivation in all different forms. If they are whining then they need to be called out on it.
  • DoriGaga
    Options
    you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...
    Negative reinforcement is really detrimental... I would even go as far as to say some of the stuff I have seen on here could be considered bullying....and I do not tolerate bullies at all...
    No one can limit you, but yourself...and being mean is not a solution to anything...

I didn't read most of this thread because, let's be honest, who has time for that??? But I have to comment on the misuse of the term "negative reinforcement" since many people don't actually know what that means.

We all know positive reinforcement is rewarding a good behaviour that we want to continue. IE giving a child a treat when they are good, you want the child to continue to be good, so you give them a treat, and that behaviour is positively reinforced.

Now most people use negative reinforcement to mean punishment, but that's not at all what it means. Negative reinforcement is when a behaviour is reinforced by taking away something bad (that's what the negative refers to here). IE you have a headache, you take an advil, the headache goes away, so next time you have a headache, you take another advil, because that behaviour has been negatively reinforced. It in NO WAY refers to belittling a person, or putting someone down, etc, that's actually the opposite of what it means.

I just needed to clear that up.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It looks like it's been resolved for her (which is awesome), so probably best to just let it go now.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The name of this particular branch of the message boards is "MOTIVATION AND SUPPORT"
    What I have seen in almost every post I have read is A LOT of tearing people down and people being a-holes to random strangers who are looking for, guess what, motivation and support on their particular weight loss journey...
    I don't care who you are and what your story is....but this is supposed to be a POSITIVE place...
    And I personally think that if you don't have anything nice to say, get the eff of the message boards...
    Because I am not going to tolerate being torn down because you feel bad about yourself and feel the need to be a jerk to make yourself feel better...

yes, because this post is such a giant ray of sunshine. I think it's important to note that while you're previous post got a lot of strange critisims that I didn't support because you can call your partner and his family anything you want, you still came out seeking advice and when you didn't get a bunch of rainbows shoved up your *kitten* you became quite aggressive. I think that my advice there and my advice here is about the same:

Own your own **** and let other people own theirs. You want something different then do it, do not wait for someone to do it for you.

On another note, you can't sit back and say that your partner is completely unsupportive and insults you and then turn around and say that his insults are silly little words and very supportive. It's one or the other, pick one and stop blaming everyone else for your actions and the way you feel.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    There's some *kitten* on here. There really are. But for the most part, the forums chug along and they do well enough. Information is exchanged. Friends are made. It serves its purpose.

I do much better with gentle and kind support myself. Having a boot-camp, drill instructor sort of circle around me would be bad and only spiral me down further. That said - that's not everyone's cup of tea. Takes all kinds.

And this thread is a repeat. Not of your original thread, but of the seemingly endless threads started by jilted OP's to complain about responses. I haven't been here long - actively posting for maybe a month - but there's a lot of that. You'll see it, too, eventually.
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I get it now....it's pretty predictable. You made a post this morning and people did not agree with you and expressed differing opinions.

do you honestly think I am that small minded?...people are entitled to their opinions....
    I congratulate them on being different...even if they do not agree with mine...:D

Yes I do.

She's more like my personal comedian. She dances and performs for my amusement, as opposed to performing for the amusement of everyone. She's very good. I just bought her new shoes. They are a tap shoes. Would you like me to make her tap for you?

Can you get her to tap for me ??? I would love you forever if you did
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That is your opinion. I respect that. Now please respect mine. Mean is reality. Motivation is BS. If people are discouraged by people typing characters into a keyboard then they were not fully committed in the first place.

Motivation is not BS. For some it is absolutely necessary. And the fact that they may not be fully committed might be the very reason they need motivation. Why push that person teetering on the edge of giving up? Why not encourage them to commit instead? For some, changing lifestyle is a real struggle.
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    No, the thread is right where it needs to be...
    Sometimes tough love is the hardest to take...and yes, it may make people angry, but it needed to be said...
    [/quote]

Looks like you can't take the tough love either because it obviously made you angry . Shame.

Where is my bingo card when I need it
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I get it now....it's pretty predictable. You made a post this morning and people did not agree with you and expressed differing opinions.

do you honestly think I am that small minded?...people are entitled to their opinions....
    I congratulate them on being different...even if they do not agree with mine...:D

Yes I do.

She's more like my personal comedian. She dances and performs for my amusement, as opposed to performing for the amusement of everyone. She's very good. I just bought her new shoes. They are a tap shoes. Would you like me to make her tap for you?

Can you get her to tap for me ??? I would love you forever if you did

Seriously? What is the point of this post other than to be mean?
  • dawnschrecengost66
    Options
    " "
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    This was one of the most pathetic threads I've ever read. Really... Can I have my 3 minutes back please?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Great job, OP, with your posts full of negativity in the thread you started in Motivation and Support about how negativity has no place in Motivation and Support!! I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals.*

:flowerforyou:

*(c) DrMerc 2012. All rights reserved. Use of this phrase without express permission of DrMerc is prohibited. (PS: DrMerc is remarkably encouraging and supportive. You should send him a FR. You're welcome.)
  • MikkLuhnRozzWhuh
    MikkLuhnRozzWhuh Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This was one of the most pathetic threads I've ever read. Really... Can I have my 3 minutes back please?

...Agreed.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    OMG! My eyeballs are now bleeding.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Welcome to life? Not every human being on this planet is nice, and fluffy and full of rainbows and glitter. What you consider rude, I might see as someone just being honest.

I think most people get their panties in a bunch and think people are being mean and horrible when really we are telling you the truth. Is it motivational? sometimes probably not but you kow what I would rather hear the truth than have someone pat me on the head and say "Oh everything will work out in the end"

Tough love is sometimes the only love one can give.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You are unbelievable.

I need people yelling at me, calling me out when I try to feed them BS, blasting me when Im not giving it my best and calling me a liar when I say I want something but refuse to act on it. Not saying 'good job' when I half *kitten* a workout that I can totally blow out of the water... WHAT THE HECK

I dont appreciate you telling me what kind of attitudes are ALLOWED to motivate me.

you want nothing but unicorn mayonnaise then you ask for support on your friends list instead of the general public. Not everyone is like you but thanks for trying to shove me in a box with you.

Best of luck.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Welcome to life? Not every human being on this planet is nice, and fluffy and full of rainbows and glitter. What you consider rude, I might see as someone just being honest.

I think most people get their panties in a bunch and think people are being mean and horrible when really we are telling you the truth. Is it motivational? sometimes probably not but you kow what I would rather hear the truth than have someone pat me on the head and say "Oh everything will work out in the end"

Tough love is sometimes the only love one can give.

Tough love and insults are not the same thing. Insults are against forum rules. Tough love may be blunt, but it is an offer of help nonetheless.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options

While I've seen some people be mean, I've seen more posters in the "Motivation and Support" area wanting validation for poor behavior with regard to their diets and working out. I've seen the woes me, the "My boyfriend doesn't support me", the want of enablers, all of it. I haven't been around long enough to see this, but I have.

I don't think people need to be mean or rude or *kitten*. I think the people who post all their feels on a message board and get their feels hurt need to reevaluate who you give your feels to and STOP IT.

The mission on this site is clear, weight loss, working out, general exercising, health related questions asked and answered.

Complaining, every. single. day, a new person is complaining how mean people are to them or others...just as I can do, stop reading the boards.

Take some responsibility for your own eyes.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Any threads in particular you are referring to?

There is a lot of misinformation and unhealthy advice thrown around on these forums - unfortunately, there is more "noise" and bad info than actual sound advice. It's a good thing when that type of stuff gets shot down quickly.

Disagreeing or correcting things is not mutually exclusive with support, and all too often I see people crying foul when someone tries to shoot down misinformation.