I Am Adam Lanzas Mother

Options
iAMsmiling
iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
This woman is describing my son, my family and our lives.

http://gawker.com/5968818/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother

Replies

• classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    That is extremely powerful. Thank you for sharing.
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This woman is describing my son, my family and our lives.

http://gawker.com/5968818/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother

Sadly, this woman is describing A LOT of families.
  • Cherie7575
    Options
    Very powerful piece - thanks for reposting.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Great piece. Thanks for posting.
  • mung222
    mung222 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I read this yesterday. It was nice to get the other side's perspective. I work in the mental health field with these types of children. I am empathetic to this situation.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I saw this yesterday..it's very thought provoking. I can't imagine living that way...Help is definitely what the writer needs but where to get it?
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this link. Very powerful article.
  • GatorGirl0890
    GatorGirl0890 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I read this the other day...I'm sorry you can relate so closely to it =/
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I can relate as well. And I'm a single mother. Fortunately, my daughter has made a lot of progress lately. But there are some very trying moments as a parent.

The psychiatrist, psychologist, and myself are leaning towards bipolar disorder. The best thing you can do for a child like this is to be proactive.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.
  • battynat12
    Options
    Unforturnately, I read some of the comments on Gawker and word of warning they are not at all sympathetic to the author. Ms. Long was extremely brave in giving a voice to what so many families are experiencing, and got insulted for her trouble. I hope she doesn't see some of those comments.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It is powerful and tragic and a travesty that mental heath care is not given more importance in this country. That said, it's also crazy that she would have an arsenal of assault weapons and ammunition that her mentally disturbed son had access to. If my kid was even a tiny fraction of that bad I'd have the steak knives under lock and key.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I cannot say I know exactly how these mother's feel, but pretty darn close. My nephew has severe mental illnes, and like this story and so many others, the doctors cannot agree on one diagnosis. I lived with him the first few years of his life and he always had an odd way about him, even before his outbursts began. As he is not my child, I won't give too much detail, but this article realyl hits close to home.

Next, time you see a child in the store having a complete fit and the mother seemly "doing nothing" about it, keep this story in mind. It may change your perspective...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Unforturnately, I read some of the comments on Gawker and word of warning they are not at all sympathetic to the author. Ms. Long was extremely brave in giving a voice to what so many families are experiencing, and got insulted for her trouble. I hope she doesn't see some of those comments.

I saw those too. It was very upsetting and almost made me delete my comment in this thread. Some people really have no idea what they are talking about. It has been heavily documented that mental illness occurs more often in men that women.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    From the article
    With state-run treatment centers and hospitals shuttered, prison is now the last resort for the mentally ill

^^^so much truth. More money going for prisons, less money for alternatives.
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    AMAZING article. A lot of things to learn from this.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    Wow
  • stellamakes3
    stellamakes3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I am a younger sister to a 28-year-old Adam Lanza. He's currently in jail.
    It's the hardest thing to deal with sometimes- especially when situations like Sandy Hook arise.. I can't help but think of my brother, and how that could have been him.

Big hugs & lots of strength to you, OP, it takes a village & I hope you have a good village.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I read this yesterday. It hit too close to home for me as well. There were times, growing up with my sister, that I was terrified for my life. She went to inpatient care more than once. It helped some...
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    State run hospitals were shuttered because they are the most inhumane places ever conceived to warehouse and sedate (not treat) the mentally ill.
    And until they hurt someone and declare criminally insane, there is nothing that a free society can do.
    We are not North Korea or China. We cannot force adults to take medication against their will when they haven't done anything to harm someone else.

With freedom comes risk. I'd rather live with the risk than in a society that locks people up because they "might" commit a violent crime.
This discussion has been closed.