I Am Adam Lanzas Mother

Options

Replies

• _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Wait....what? Omg...I've never read so much bull**** in my entire life than what is posted in this thread.

Obviously a lot of people here who have NO understanding about mental illness. Unbelievable.

I had to stop reading for this very reason. It's sad how misinformed people really are
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I read this article yesterday and while I haven't read every comment made here, I do have one question. Why was Adam Lanzas' mother an avid gun collector? If she had a son who was unstable, unpredictable or violent, then why did she have guns in the home?

I know we can't remove every possible weapon from our homes, but why add actual weapons if you have a child who is sometimes?, could be?, violent?

I don't know all the details, but I imagine that she didn't realize or want to believe that he was capable of something like this. Honestly, this couldn't have been predicted. You can't punish someone for something that they haven't done yet, and you can't make assumptions. Maybe he had never been violent before now. Maybe she had them locked up and believed that he couldn't get to them. Honestly, it is not fair to judge her without having all the facts and I'm sorry, but if you are getting your information from the media, then odds are that you do not have all the facts.

And this.. Snap judgements solve NOTHING.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Ignorance is bliss. Let's all just pretend that mental illness doesn't exist and just blame the parents for a change.

Have we noticed that things are only getting worse?

Proper attention/assistance is severely lacking!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Thats my life to a T.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    This psycho child killer is getting too much attention. I hate that I even know his name and I hate even more that I have had to look at it all day in news articles and this forum.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Wait....what? Omg...I've never read so much bull**** in my entire life than what is posted in this thread.

Obviously a lot of people here who have NO understanding about mental illness. Unbelievable.

I had to stop reading for this very reason. It's sad how misinformed people really are

That ignorance is what has kept people like me (and I'm sure many of you) from talking publicly about this for years. I feel like I'm still jeopardizing my career by speaking about it lest someone judge or label me (which is why my opinions are here and not FB). I got the wonderful distinction of growing up in a small town where everyone knew that my older brother very publicly shot himself. Good stuff. You all with strong opinions and little else might would to take the opportunity to STFU and listen for once. You may actually learn something. Bad parenting may create all sorts of issues in children but it does not give someone schizophrenia or a variety of other serious mental health problems. And yes, I'm a big critic of bad parents but I also am a parent and know that perfection is very hard to obtain. This is an entirely separate issue.
  • ElizabethRaeBarnes
    Options
    I grew up with a mentally ill mother. My brother and I ended up ok but I feel for someone raising a mentally ill child.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    This psycho child killer is getting too much attention. I hate that I even know his name and I hate even more that I have had to look at it all day in news articles and this forum.

This is a discussion about mental illness, and the realities of those families dealing with it. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    so parents are responsible for raising mental illness...?
  • Dub_D
    Options

This is a discussion about mental illness, and the realities of those families dealing with it. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it.

I didn't read it.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options

He's mentioned here for dialogue which may in turn lead to prevention. It seems his mother was trying to do this all on her own. One reason the mother of this article wrote the article using the title that she did is because she knows it could easily be her. And, for that matter, my kids are young still but if I continue having roadblocks to proper care, it could easily be ... me or any of my friends who are struggling with children with mental illness.
    Yes, what happened is horrible. The point is to learn from it to prevent it from happening again.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    This thread is turning ugly. I'm off to troll a more lighthearted topic. Hope everyone has a peaceful day, especially those whose families have something in common with the recent events.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I consider myself to be lucky never having to to personally experience mental illness with a loved one - after reading some of your posts outlining the unconditional love and patience that goes hand in hand with fear, sadness, frustration, and uncertainty...all I can say is I'm amazed by your stories of strength.
  • Dub_D
    Options

He's mentioned here for dialogue which may in turn lead to prevention. It seems his mother was trying to do this all on her own. One reason the mother of this article wrote the article using the title that she did is because she knows it could easily be her. And, for that matter, my kids are young still but if I continue having roadblocks to proper care, it could easily be ... me or any of my friends who are struggling with children with mental illness.
    Yes, what happened is horrible. The point is to learn from it to prevent it from happening again.

I was just giving my opinion on the scum bag's name being so hugely spread over the internet.

Also, there is no evidence that he suffered from any mental illness.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I was just giving my opinion on the scum bag's name being so hugely spread over the internet.

How would you describe someone that would do such horrific things if not as mentally ill? What part of sane guns down 20 1st graders?
  • Dub_D
    Options

How would you describe someone that would do such horrific things if not as mentally ill? What part of sane guns down 20 1st graders?

Believe it or not, some people are just evil.
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    this is a lot of families. more than you realize.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Believe it or not, some people are just evil.

Simplistic cop-out.
    No problem to deal with here except for putting an occasional bullet in someone who is just evil.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dub_D
    Options

Believe it or not, some people are just evil.:wink:

And others are terminally Stupid. :flowerforyou:

Stupid for pointing out there there is no evidence indicating he had any mental illness? Is that not true? I think it is. So unless your comment is directed towards yourself, it has no merit.
This discussion has been closed.