I Am Adam Lanzas Mother

Options

Replies

• Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    You admitted that you did not even read the thread, and you offered an opinion on something we were not discussing, then tried arguing and justifying the point which was off topic.

Didn't think I had to read the 5 pages of thread to address the OP. My point is on topic, it's just another point of view.

Hah! No. You must read all the branches the conversation has taken and respond only to the current THREAD not the original post. Silly Dani. Don't you know how forums work? :P

Ain't nobody gots time fo that!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Especially you. You're too busy being awesome for that nonsense. :P

But yeah. Thanks for sharing your minority opinion. I appreciated the diversity.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The evidence is in the act...unless we want to believe that the devil made him do it.

There is no evidence in the act. Indication yes, but no evidence.
    Don't mind the haters, always making excuses for devilish acts. If the parents know their kids are dangerous then they should know what to do about them to protect innocent people.
    He's an adult and will surely face Gods judgement for killing innocent children, it's easy for us to talk about mental illness or make excuses as none of our kids was killed. God will surly have mercy on this generation.

Here we are, speaking of mental illness, and a prime example volunteers a demonstration.

So are you saying this poster has a mental illness for believing in God or for disagreeing with you? You are just a peach!

I'm saying her sickness is her very un-christian lack of compassion.
    Compassion???
    I think we have more mentally sick than sane adults on this planet than we are ready to admit, I pray you never fall a victim. It's easy for you to speak big grammars here to justify an act like this, any trigger happy kid with issues who goes on killing spree is said to be mentally ill, may God provide a cure before we are all sent to an untimely death, Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeen.
  • katisabanana
    katisabanana Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i work in a mental health home for youth.
    the justice system OFTEN fails our children.
    the child doesn't belong in jail, and though my clients frequent the jail here,
    we do our best to get them out as soon as possible.
    they don't have the same resources as they do on the outside.
    there are so many resources (at least here in canada) for struggling children and families, and honestly, i think they are just unknown.
    i work in a strength based unit, which means we do not punish or restrain (unless for a serious threat)
    and our success rate is amazing.
    part of it, i think also, is that parents need to get over their pride and ask for help.
    you didn't fail as a parent because your child is different.
    different isn't bad.
    :)
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options

Especially you. You're too busy being awesome for that nonsense. :P

But yeah. Thanks for sharing your minority opinion. I appreciated the diversity.

Being awesome is a full time job! lol

I'm glad you can see it for what it is, an opinion, that I am entitled to. :smile:
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I also found this to be a very powerful and thought provoking piece.
  • Ladysquire
    Ladysquire Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I haven't previously made comment about this situation but I am very surprised at the reaction I must say.

You're right, mental health needs to be taken seriously and families like this need support. 100% agree.

What I don't agree with is putting a gun in the hands of someone with known mental health issues and showing them how to use it. That is astonishingly irresponsible.
  • otkbrat
    Options
    I agree. People with mental health issues should be taken very seriously. I too can relate because my Stepson has aspergers and has attacked me a few times. He's on medicine for aggression but I still have fears about him. He's not a bad guy but he has some violent issues and he doesn't like to take no for an answer.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I do no beleive the problem is the firearms themselves.

As I watch, read, and watch some more I have come to realize that mental illness is the problem at hand.

I think we need to look, study, and figure out why so many people are getting this sick.

However, teaching a person, who you know has problems like this guy did, was the wrong move.

What ever the mothers reason was, she did. I'm just very..torn between this subject.

Thank you for the link.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I haven't previously made comment about this situation but I am very surprised at the reaction I must say.

You're right, mental health needs to be taken seriously and families like this need support. 100% agree.

What I don't agree with is putting a gun in the hands of someone with known mental health issues and showing them how to use it. That is astonishingly irresponsible.

Read my blog. In our case my father had his guns under lock and key and actively tried to keep my brother from obtaining one. Seems no one listened. My brother got into the military, and then upon being thrown out, got a gun for his job. Shockingly stupid, right? You see what families need most in these situations is for someone to actually listen to them. The problem is that people like my brother was are incredibly manipulative and charming. Ever so charming.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Food for thought....

The mind is a complicated puzzle, yet the solutions to our challenges are more simple that we believe them to be.
    He's been on a slew of antipsychotic and mood-altering pharmaceuticals, a Russian novel of behavioral plans. Nothing seems to work.
    The more you chemicals you introduce to the body, then take away, change, combine....all you do is screw with the chemical make-up of the mind. Add in the psychological aspects...change this, change that...it's not the answer for everything.

One of the greatest issues society faces is the rapid degradation of overall respect for our fellow man. Parents are oft too scared of the law to properly punish a child which in turns leads to a punishment that has no bearing on how to act within society [You're grounded from electronics for the rest of the day. Now get in the car, and I will take you to school.[/quote] When I was a child, i would have received a single, quick, attention getting correction followed by a bar of soap in my mouth for calling anyone a
    stupid *****
    . as a parent of 6 and 16 year old that varying degrees of their own mental and emotional challenges, I understand the difference between discipline and abuse. I also see and realize the impact of taking away technology from a child...and OMG! It does NOTHING to teach them the respect lesson needed. When we were kids, we didn't have smart phones, or computers...we went outside to play. we went to our friends or the park to hang out...by grounding them for 1 day (oh lord, 1 day) from electronics...what does this do? What does this teach?

Yes, Mental health is major issue throughout the world, and here in the states needs to be addressed on a grander stage, but we must ensure that we do not jump to try and solve an immediate aspect when it could come down to simply living, showing, and expressing the life which we want our children to. If you need an example of what I mean...think about how, generally speaking, we view marriage. We take vows to love and honor for better for worse...yet we quickly cast aside these vows for various excuses. Breaking a promise that should be second to none....and with little remorse.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    As someone with a family and personal history of mental health problems, I can say without a doubt the best way to stop people from getting shot is by NOT HAVING GUNS IN THE HOUSE.

To quote the OP
    "when my son's condition became apparent, I sold all my guns. "

Well done - that was the smart and responsible thing to do.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I found this interesting. Not that it changes the issue but it is interesting.

http://sarahkendzior.com/2012/12/16/want-the-truth-behind-i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-read-her-blog/
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The evidence is in the act...unless we want to believe that the devil made him do it.

There is no evidence in the act. Indication yes, but no evidence.
    Don't mind the haters, always making excuses for devilish acts. If the parents know their kids are dangerous then they should know what to do about them to protect innocent people.
    He's an adult and will surely face Gods judgement for killing innocent children, it's easy for us to talk about mental illness or make excuses as none of our kids was killed. God will surly have mercy on this generation.

Here we are, speaking of mental illness, and a prime example volunteers a demonstration.

So are you saying this poster has a mental illness for believing in God or for disagreeing with you? You are just a peach!

I'm saying her sickness is her very un-christian lack of compassion.
    Compassion???
    I think we have more mentally sick than sane adults on this planet than we are ready to admit, I pray you never fall a victim. It's easy for you to speak big grammars here to justify an act like this, any trigger happy kid with issues who goes on killing spree is said to be mentally ill, may God provide a cure before we are all sent to an untimely death, Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeen.
    I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm trying to promote a rational, fact based approach to a tragic problem that no amount of misdirected anger or praying for good to triumph over evil will affect.
  • farfoorah
    Options
    Pay a psychologist, or psychiatrist to try to fix him or put him on some meds or google it. I feel bad that she has a horrible violent problem child but don't pretend that you can't do anything about it or act like you have done everything. If you know your son is capable of committing anything like the atrocities in Newton, you bear some responsibility.

As for the child killer, he knew right from wrong as evidenced by that fact that he killed himself; he was too much of a coward to face the consequences of slaughtering 20 children. Mental illness or not, I don't have any sympathy for him.

I also agree with the minority opinion; kinda sick of seeing this maniacs face and hearing his name.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Pay a psychologist, or psychiatrist to try to fix him or put him on some meds or google it. I feel bad that she has a horrible violent problem child but don't pretend that you can't do anything about it or act like you have done everything. If you know your son is capable of committing anything like the atrocities in Newton, you bear some responsibility.

As for the child killer, he knew right from wrong as evidenced by that fact that he killed himself; he was too much of a coward to face the consequences of slaughtering 20 children. Mental illness or not, I don't have any sympathy for him.

I also agree with the minority opinion; kinda sick of seeing this maniacs face and hearing his name.

May you never encounter in your life the kind of personal tragedy that you express so little compassion for.
  • farfoorah
    Options

May you never encounter in your life the kind of personal tragedy that you express so little compassion for.

But I said I felt bad....I'm not gonna cry for her, like I did for those poor babies...if that's what you mean...=|
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Pay a psychologist, or psychiatrist to try to fix him or put him on some meds or google it.

......................... :noway:

google it.........
  • Ladysquire
    Options

Read my blog. In our case my father had his guns under lock and key and actively tried to keep my brother from obtaining one. Seems no one listened. My brother got into the military, and then upon being thrown out, got a gun for his job. Shockingly stupid, right? You see what families need most in these situations is for someone to actually listen to them. The problem is that people like my brother was are incredibly manipulative and charming. Ever so charming.

That's pretty shocking! In your case I see your father was responsible but I believe that Adam Lanza's mother used to take him shooting? She knew him better than anyone and she put a gun in his hand. And not any weapon but a semi automatic assault rifle. Nobody needs a gun like that.
  • Ladysquire
    Options
    As someone with a family and personal history of mental health problems, I can say without a doubt the best way to stop people from getting shot is by NOT HAVING GUNS IN THE HOUSE.

To quote the OP
    "when my son's condition became apparent, I sold all my guns. "

Well done - that was the smart and responsible thing to do.

Couldn't agree more.
This discussion has been closed.