How to Track Weight Watchers Points on MFP!!

Options

Replies

• sakthorp
    sakthorp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP I tracked both points AND calories. It was time consuming and I didn't think I'd like tracking calories, it seemed like soooo much more work!

BUT! I much prefer tracking calories because of the feedback on nutrition I'm getting and I no longer want to be tethered to weight watchers. I don't like the recent plan at all, I had the 'old' points memorized and then they went and changed it.

Either way, tracking works, it keeps me accountable and I'm more likely to succeed when I track. There are many options out there, use the one you like most :-) Just a few decades ago, we didn't have all these wonderful options, gotta' love technology!!!!!
  • april_flowers_423
    Options
    Is this the WW PointsPlus or the WW Momentum? After losing 65lbs on Momentum, PointsPlus was an absolute nightmare for me. I found the Momentum formula online and put it into an Excel spreadsheet and am currently tracking Cal, Fat, and Fiber on MFP and then transferring those over to my spreadsheet to track points but I would love to just track once on MFP if possible.
  • kabertrand63
    kabertrand63 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The user script tracks points plus. I didn't do the older WW plans so I don't have any idea how they compare but am surprised that the new points plus doesn't work for some people. I've heard that before. Does MFP have a way to add "flexible" calories (for lack of a better word) to use as extras during the week like WW does? That's the part I really like best cuz the calorie limit is so low for MFP.
  • beachygirlk
    Options
    bump! love this!
  • kabertrand63
    Options
    I've been tracking using both and added the user script on MFP to compare. So far tracking very closely! Once I'm done the 3 months on WW, think I'll move completely to MFP and can still do both calories and points. This is great!
  • kabertrand63
    Options
    Question: how would you add in the extra 49 points that WW gives you in MFP? Maybe just divide by 7 and change target daily? Won't rollover for the week though. That is one of the beauties of WW...
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Ok I don't see any script when I open the Add on manager in Firefox so where do I get the Script to change ? I am seeing the change in MFP already but because I have not changed the script the numbers/points are off. Please help thanks
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I had my husband edit it but this is what he did.
    In the upper right hand corner there should be a little monkey. Click on the drop menu and click on manage user scripts. then it will bring up a new window. Highlight weight watchers script (if its your only one it will already be highlighted) and click on options. It will bring up a new window. click on script settings and then edit this script. We had to select notepad as our editor but then you edit line 10 and then file save.

Im trying to do this but its not working, I keep getting a box that says open with an executable file so i have no clue ? can you help please ?
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...
  • kabertrand63
    Options
    Good morning Tizzz. You need to use notepad on your PC to edit the user script. Change the values as stated above for using the old points plus. Save it. You might need to reinstall the firefox extension. That's the reason you are 3 points off now, it's using new points plus if you didn't edit the script. I'll send you the right file and you can use that.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    BUMP. I might check this out because of curiosity. I almost joined WW before I found MFP so it would be nice to see the number alongside each other.
  • kabertrand63
    Options
    It's pretty neat actually. I like how WW teaches me how to eat, make good food choices etc so I'm currently using both until I can decide which is best for me. It's very interesting to compare the differences. I originally felt that 1200 calories was way too low but maybe not given how they are comparing!
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thirtyby30
    thirtyby30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    saving for later, thanks!
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    OK, new problem! Got this working fine on my home computer, but here at work I just had the points column disappear even though my diary settings are in proper order and no extra categories. Today I was able to edit the script here at work to change those values to "true" -- and the points column disappeared immediately. I even restarted the computer but no luck. I went back to settings and thought I remembered using a setting pull-down to get points to display, but it's not listed as an option in the pull-down menu. I've gone back through this thread and cannot figure out what I did wrong here. Anybody know?

Thanks!
  • kabertrand63
    Options
    you may need to reload/install the extension. Which browser do you use at work vs home?
  • amyann2
    Options
    I use both Internet Explorer and Firefox at work and home, but am using Firefox exclusively for MFP. I will try to re-install the script and see what happens.

It's taking a little getting used to entering the info here -- I love the amount of info in the database but found WW's pull-down menu of portion sizes and measurements a little easier. But I'm sure I'll get used to this here as well.

Thanks so much!
  • amyann2
    Options
    Reinstalling did the trick. Thanks for all those offering advice!

I'm enjoying having the WW points listed, and love having the more complete nutritional information as well. I do notice a few glitches with the WW, some of which are expected. For instance, 3/4 cup of cooked broccoli (no butter or oil) shows as 1 WW PPV when under the program it would be zero. I'm not surprised by this since the WW database of foods adjusts points values to "weight" foods to encourage good choices. But I was surprised by the 0 points it told me a 5 oz. glass of chardonnay would be. WW really weights calories from alcohol, and I certainly understand why!

So I have to figure out my best method for mentally adjusting the WW points -- although everything else I entered came out right where I expected it, so I doubt it will all matter too much.

I was also surprised to see that MFP has me slightly over recommended on fiber and protein, and under on carbs! :-)