Down 109 lbs in a year (first pics ever)

Options
My story in a nutshell is (yes I'm picturing Mike Meyers in a tiny nutshell now..lol) ... I grew up the eldest of four girls, alcoholic & extremely abusive father, mother struggling to stay sane (doing her yoyo dieting). I learned young to give not take, stay out of everyone's way, you don't deserve love and you're never going to be pretty. Also, dad can't hurt you while we're eating dinner. After going through rough childhood, I married young and that too was challenging. But we got through it successfully and he's now my best friend. Since then I fought for the courts to hold our abuser responsible...and won! My husband and I adopted second child through Child Protective Services and it was so rewarding to give him a happier childhood - in some ways righting the wrongs I had lived through. My eldest son and him are best of friends. Yet I was extremely overweight and suddenly terrified that my life that was becoming worth living was going to be cut short by my own bad habits. In one year I was able to change everything I think/do with food and lose 109 pounds. I still see myself as a large and unattractive woman....but from what I've read, it takes a long time for the mind to catch up with the body. I now don't mind shopping for clothes, and I only regret the fact that it took me this long to take care of myself. Now if only there was an exercise for lifting boobs! hahahaa!!! I love staying busy/active and I often gasp when I'm folding clothes because my jeans are so small and my sweaters are cute...it's just that this Texas girl has always been the biggest in the group. Until now. :)

Anyway, I'm about 35 lbs from my goal weight. My health is so much better, my energy is incredible, I lost a lot of hair but it's now growing back (from what I read that's common with weight loss ???), and I don't avoid activities for fear I'll be unable to or too embarrassed to try. I'm always going long after my boys (now teens) have run out of energy. lol

I did have a couple friendships strained for my changes. I still don't understand that. It hurts, but maybe they weren't true friends then? One actually said, "I know you've lost a lot of weight, and I'm happy for you, but you need to know that I liked you better before." I just wonder why anyone would like someone better with a high risk of diabetes and heart problems?!? Oh well, the majority of my friends are happy for me, my husband feels like he has a new wife, my house is always clean (it works off calories! lol) and my true friends say they've never seen me more vibrant and happy.

So here's my embarrassing pics...I'm incredibly NOT photogenic. But ya'll have posted some unbelievably up-building pics for me to see all this year and I'm just flabbergasted by the courage and want to thank you all and MFP. This bought years on my life....a life I'm glad to live now that I've thrown away my scars from abuse and mistreatment and am embracing the truth - that I am worth saving.

Luv to all. :)

my last and most inspiring 'fat pic'
nwcyo6.jpg

109 pounds less

24ct7xy.jpg

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    make the IMG lower case ... and great job!
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    My story in a nutshell is (yes I'm picturing Mike Meyers in a tiny nutshell now..lol) ... I grew up the eldest of four girls, alcoholic & extremely abusive father, mother struggling to stay sane (doing her yoyo dieting). I learned young to give not take, stay out of everyone's way, you don't deserve love and you're never going to be pretty. Also, dad can't hurt you while we're eating dinner. After going through rough childhood, I married young and that too was challenging. But we got through it successfully and he's now my best friend. Since then I fought for the courts to hold our abuser responsible...and won! My husband and I a second child through Child Protective Services and it was so rewarding to give him a happier childhood - in some ways righting the wrongs I had lived through. My eldest son and him are best of friends. Yet I was extremely overweight and suddenly terrified that my life that was becoming worth living was going to be cut short by my own bad habits. In one year I was able to change everything I think/do with food and lose 109 pounds. I still see myself as a large and unattractive woman....but from what I've read, it takes a long time for the mind to catch up with the body. I now don't mind shopping for clothes, and I only regret the fact that it took me this long to take care of myself. Now if only there was an exercise for lifting boobs! hahahaa!!! I love staying busy/active and I often gasp when I'm folding clothes because my jeans are so small and my sweaters are cute...it's just that this Texas girl has always been the biggest in the group. Until now. :)

Anyway, I'm about 35 lbs from my goal weight. My health is so much better, my energy is incredible, I lost a lot of hair but it's now growing back (from what I read that's common with weight loss ???), and I don't avoid activities for fear I'll be unable to or too embarrassed to try. I'm always going long after my boys (now teens) have run out of energy. lol

I did have a couple friendships strained for my changes. I still don't understand that. It hurts, but maybe they weren't true friends then? One actually said, "I know you've lost a lot of weight, and I'm happy for you, but you need to know that I liked you better before." I just wonder why anyone would like someone better with a high risk of diabetes and heart problems?!? Oh well, the majority of my friends are happy for me, my husband feels like he has a new wife, my house is always clean (it works off calories! lol) and my true friends say they've never seen me more vibrant and happy.

So here's my embarrassing pics...I'm incredibly NOT photogenic. But ya'll have posted some unbelievably up-building pics for me to see all this year and I'm just flabbergasted by the courage and want to thank you all and MFP. This bought years on my life....a life I'm glad to live now that I've thrown away my scars from abuse and mistreatment and am embracing the truth - that I am worth saving.

Luv to all. :)

my last and most inspiring 'fat pic'
    nwcyo6.jpg

109 pounds less

24ct7xy.jpg

Great job, you look amazing!
  • Shunda_27
    Options
    *You got it now =)
  • lovingmethin
    lovingmethin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Congratulations to you on such an incredible change. I'm sorry that you have lost friends over this change, but sometimes we allow ourselves to lose these friends and we are unaware. I know that for me, I became less of an enabler and less of a doer for other people and have started focusing on me and my physcial health, my happiness, my mental health, etc.

Well done! You should be very proud. I hope that your self image catches up to the beauty that we are all able to behold.
  • Shunda_27
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I wanted to help you out.

However, you look absolutely amazing. I'm sooooooo proud of you! Keep up the amazing work!
    :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    great job!!!! you look amazing!!!
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    HOLY SMOKES!!! great work and thank you so much for sharing!!:flowerforyou:
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have had some ups and downs but you are doing well now. Good for you on the weight loss and where you are in life. Sorry that people that were "friends" are no longer there but you need positvity around you. Be very proud! You look amazing and are an inspiration. CONGRATS!!! :drinker:
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I rarely properly read the text on these, tend just to skim read, but my god yours was worth the read.

You are a very attractive woman and also determined by the looks of it!

Congratulations, you've done an amazing job and proven yourself to be a beautiful person as well as an attractive one :3
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look amazing! Congrats on the loss, and the positive life changes. You're a strong woman, and I admire you =)

PS: You've lost the exact amount that I currently weigh! That is an incredible accomplishment.
  • MasterKat
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing. I sure hope you are proud of yourself and all that you have accomplished.
  • AmyS1975
    AmyS1975 Posts: 143
    Options
    What an amazing story of strength, dedication, persistence and happily ever afters! Thank you for sharing! You look incredible! Reach for the stars, girl! You can do anything you set your mind to!
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am so thrilled for you. You deserve to be happy and healthy and healed. Congratulations, too, for breaking the chain and rescuing somebody else with your love. :flowerforyou:
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! You are amazing! And you look awesome! Be proud of yourself!
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Gosh girl, you look amazing! Your story is truly inspiring, thanks so much for sharing it with us! Keep up the great work :)
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Ah, a Texas gal....gotta love em. Glad you stepped up to life's challenges, you have my respect. Lookin good there gal!
  • Jendegeorge
    Options
    Thanks, BackTatJim....you'd think I was new at this. lol
    hugs!
  • baker150
    baker150 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!
  • vaborn25
    Options
    Awesome. Truly amazing. Don't go back. I have lost weight and then gained it all back multiple times. It is a pain in the rear end to lose. Keep up the good work.
  • Jendegeorge
    Options
    I am so thrilled for you. You deserve to be happy and healthy and healed. Congratulations, too, for breaking the chain and rescuing somebody else with your love. :flowerforyou:

Wow, beautifully said. Thank you SO much for that last sentence. No truer words huh? :heart:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!