Children throwing tantrums in stores! What??

Options

Replies

• VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would get the look then go home and get the belt plus grounded for a week from everything.
  • be1163
    Options
    I use to think the same as you and couldnt stand kids that act up while out in public. It was actually so bad I use to have to leave the store so I wouldnt lose it. Now that i have a two year old I understand the situation and have more patience. I'm not saying my daughter would get away with what you have described as she would be handled what my wife and I find works best for her.

In my opinion each person (adult or child) has ways that they respond to better than others. I'm one of the lucky one's I guess and know exactly what works for my daughter when these situations occur.

As you, I do remember the way my parents dealt with me when I was young and looking back it was effective. Was it the right way..not sure, but I do believe there is now better understanding of ways to deal with situations that could benefit going forward. Just not all parents and children are the same.

Just my two cents!
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    It's very scary and frustrating to be a four year old.
    I know that whenever I'm scared or frustrated, nothing calms me down like getting hit with objects by the only people I can trust.

FTW!!!!! +1
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I can't speak about my experience being a parent, since I don't have kids.

But I can say that I distinctively remember that I would not have done that very long as a kid. My father would have just looked at me and that scene would have stopped right then, right there. And he never hit me either, I guess parents back then were just much clearer about what was ok and not.

I have a brother 14 years younger than me and a sister 18 years younger than me, and I can tell that my mother's attitude towards those situation is CLEARLY different now than it was when I was their age. They can get ANYTHING they want now, gosh I would have been evil given that much power, I can tell...

Yup. My sister (who is 18yrs younger than I) is the exact same way. I ditto this post. Ditto :)
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Your post annoyed me much more than any child could. Promote child abuse elsewhere.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I was spanked, but only with a hand and rarely. I spanked my daughter, but no way would I have used a belt on her.

And I sure as hell never left her with welts or bleeding. That is NOT OK.

Same, I was spanked as a kid and I turned out just f...... okay, maybe I'm not the best example. :laugh:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    After rereading the OP's post, I see that she feels outright child abuse to be a proper form of discipline (and no, I'm not talking about the spankings).

Dear God, please don't ever have children.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

To any of you older people, what would your parents have done? I have one very distinct memory of pitching a fit for some doll. My parents took me out to the car and I got spanked there. Once we got home, I got the leather belt. I remember this spanking the most b/c the welp marks bled.... I'm so tired of this lack of discipline in kids. I have come across some of the rudest little twerps EVER, and am so happy I don't have any of my own. I know for a fact my temper would get the best of me if I had one.

rant over.

Yes because spanking children so that they bleed really teaches them good behavior......
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Blimey, if I left a store every time my kid threw a tantrum Id never get anything done. He's autistic and screams a LOT. It really helps to know that other people are scoring my parenting skills without knowing the full picture.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    You obviously don't have kids. I am sure when you do you will be an amazing mother and your kids will never throw tantrums though.

This and its none of your F-ing business how someone else parents a child.. thank you. Move along
  • Alcoria
    Alcoria Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i have the total opposite problem they are angels when we go out or have company but throw tantrums when here at the house they get sent to timeout (standing in a corner) i have a 5yrold, a 4yr old and a 2 yr old. or down for a nap my 2 yr old just gets sent to bed or timeout on the couch with no tv or anything until she calms down.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I know that whenever I'm scared or frustrated, nothing calms me down like getting hit with objects by the only people I can trust.

Point for you. :drinker:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't care about spanking vs. non-spanking. But when you hit a child with an object and cause them to bleed, that's abuse, and you're an unfit parent if you can't find a way to raise a child that doesn't involve breaking their skin.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

Point for you. :drinker:

Nailed it!
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Blimey, if I left a store every time my kid threw a tantrum Id never get anything done. He's autistic and screams a LOT. It really helps to know that other people are scoring my parenting skills without knowing the full picture.

AMEN!

You never know, maybe it was the same with the child in Michael's. you never know what is going on in someones life! So quick to judge.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It is because when parents correct their child in public, other people try to get in their business and threaten to call child services. There is a difference between spanking your child and beating your child and apparently people do not know the difference.

As for me, I was never spanked as a kid. My mother always did the arm grab and would pull me out of the store if I acted up. I didn't act up much. But I was also afraid of my mom. It is okay to fear whatever discipline you are going to get. I think a lot of problem with children now is that they have absolutely no fear. End result, kicking and screaming and rolling around on the sidewalk.
  • mishomart
    mishomart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    At least the dad didn't buy his kid the doll that started the tantrum in the first place. THAT would be cajoling the kid to stop
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Only read the first few responses about how you must not have kids. Well, when I didn't have kids yet, that kind of behavior appaled me. And you know what ? It still does!! Unless the children have underlying issues (which some can, you never know), It is pitiful how kids rule over their parents today. I see it ALL the time. It is much easier for the parent to put up with it than to put their stuff up and leave that store. It depends on the age. I have a two year old, and you cannot reason very well with them. By age four, however, it is a totally different story. I have a two year old, a four year old, and a seven year old. They have all acted like that at some point. That doesn't mean there are not consequences. They get a stern warning. Then I tell them if they continue said behavior, what the consequences will be. Guess what? If they keep on, they get the exact consequence I said they would. No begging or pleading or "If you do that one more time", ugh I hate that one. Anyway, sorry for the novel. I have never spanked my children the way you were spanked, but we are very strict with them. Great attitudes and actions are acknowledged, unacceptable ones are disciplined. Is it easy? NO! Extremely hard and tiring. But I know as they get older, it will pay off.:)
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I see this a lot in the stores, the parents usually ignore them and they eventually stop crying or they taking the child to the car. I've seen one child ask their mom about a toy and what chores they can do at home to earn it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Also if someone dragged me into a Michael's I'd throw a f'ing tantrum too