Children throwing tantrums in stores! What??

Options

Replies

• Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I thought I knew everything about kids. Was full of annoyance at public tantrums. Judged my family and friends. Swore up and down that MY KID would Never do that (insert various bad annoying behaviors here)... UNTIL I had a kid.

You seriously have no clue until you have to deal with it yourself. and if you plan on making them bleed with a belt or any other weapon for that matter, please get yourself spayed....
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that his son might be autistic or have some other sort of condition? I've worked with autistic children in the past and there's nothing that will stop a tantrum really. The littlest things can set them off. You just have to pray for strength for the parents and hope they find something that works for their child.:flowerforyou: you never know the struggles of a family. I guess working with those kids made me think twice. :heart:

ETA it put the wrong icon
    [/quote]

That may be true, but it doesn't mean the father handled it correctly. When the child started throwing a tantrum, it was time for them to leave. No need for punishment or what-have-you, just leave. It shows the child that behavior is not acceptable in public.
  • PrincessKittenpants
    Options
    You obviously don't have kids. I am sure when you do you will be an amazing mother and your kids will never throw tantrums though.

^this
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Maybe because you don't have children you don't understand the emotions of a child. My two year old is an angel 99% of the time. But imagine that every disappointing event in life felt like the worst thing that has ever happened to you. No matter how slight. That is what is happening to children. Not getting a toy feels like you whole family just died in some tragic accident. Children don't know how to deal with all of those overwhelming feelings. Just think, someone else's crying kid sent you to a message board to rant to a bunch of strangers on the internet. Honestly its not much different. You are just lucky that none of us can beat you with a belt for it. And from what I have read there seem to be a few volunteers already.
  • naner61
    Options
    Be a parent first friend second. You are the one who sets the rules. You get down in their face eye to eye and you say that this kind of behavior is unacceptable and if it continues you will leave the store and he won't be allowed to come back until he stops. There was many times I left and didn't come back with my daughter. When she realized I wasn't joking around and there were consequences, and I meant what I said and that I consistently followed through with what I said she soon learned. I only spanked her once and that was when she was 1 and heading for an electrical outlet( this was before we had cute little plugs now)
    This method also worked with my grandson. Don't say something and the don't follow through! They soon learn how wishy washy you are and walk all over you. Your job is to parent and set a good example and set guidelines within a loving firm atmoshphere! You do that and they will be your friend when they get older. My daughther is 34 and my grandson is 14 and I am proud to call them my friends as well as my family.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I see there are some people here in favor of spanking their children. If there is anyone here that has a college degree and thinks it is ok to spank children, please step forward. I know they have to exist, but I have never met a person under 75 that has a college degree and thinks it is ok to spank children.

What bubble do you live in?
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You obviously don't have kids. I am sure when you do you will be an amazing mother and your kids will never throw tantrums though.

This. You are one of those people that I stare at like :huh: when you give me and my screaming child the side eye. I DARE you to say something to that parent when their child is mid-tantrum. You think you can do better, I'll send you my 3 year old for a week. Get the *kitten* over it. I hope you get stuck next to some screaming babies on your next flight. :flowerforyou: Happy holidays.
  • DaisyMae84
    Options
    The kids was 4! 4 year olds have tantrums! I have 3 kids and all of them have thrown their fair share of tantrums, but I would have never beat them until they bled. My kids are good kids, and guess what....I don't have to beat them to make them behave.

The boy could have been autistic or have ADHD. You never know. Imagine how hard it is for the parents when they are getting dirty looks from people like you.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I see there are some people here in favor of spanking their children. If there is anyone here that has a college degree and thinks it is ok to spank children, please step forward. I know they have to exist, but I have never met a person under 75 that has a college degree and thinks it is ok to spank children.

I have a college degree and my fiance has a bachelors and 2 masters degrees and we both think it is okay to spank your children. There is a big difference in spanking your children and beating your kids.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

^This.

Seriously?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    How old were your kids when you started spanking them? How old are they now?

The first time I spanked my daughter she was 3 and trying to stick her tongue in an electrical outlet. My kids are 7 and 6 now, daughter turns 8 in March.

To me the hand is much more dangerous than a belt or a switch, because the hand is much harder... A belt just stings. #1 rule is you don't spank out of anger.

We'll agree to disagree. Tried to stick her tongue in an electrical outlet......why not remove her from it, watch her more closely or even put covers over them. I find it difficult to find a time where spanking has a benefit. At those young ages <4 I have a hard time believe the child can really rationalize/explain the spanking.....at the older ages >4 there are more effective methods and you can reason with the children.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hitting is only okay between two consenting adults who have agreed in advance upon a safeword.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If a child is acting like that the parent removes the child. Immediately. Put down your shopping, pick up the kid and outside. Now. Your child has no right to be ruining other peoples peace. Kids are noisy sometimes, that's expected and normal and no one minds. But an over the top tantrum and nothing being done? Oh hell no.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    I used to think kike this until I got one of my mine own

Also my parents would have spank my tail if I ever did that. One time my dad spanked me in front of my classmates since I wanted to keep acting up in school.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My daughter threw ONE fit. That's it. One. I don't remember what it was for. But, she threw herself of the floor kicking and screaming. I then threw myself down kicking and screaming. Made a real scene. She was 3. She looked at me like I was nuts...... so did most of the store....... I stood up, looked at her and told her it looked just as stupid when she did it, and if she EVER embarrassed me like that again in public, she would get a spanking. Never did it again.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Let me say first off I DON'T believe in hitting children. In my opinion spanking does not work and is totally unnecessary.

When my kids acted the fool in a store or other public place, I would walk away. Never out of my line of sight, but they didn't know that. For example, if we were in the grocery store and a tantrum started, I would start walking up or down the aisle. That usually did the trick! they'd stop hollering and scurry after me. The few times that did not work, I picked them up and we left the store.

When kids are throwing tantrums, it's best not to give them attention for it. If I was the dad in your example, there is no way I would have tolerated him screaming for 45 minutes. I would have left the store and taken him home.

For the most part to avoid tantrums with little ones, you need to be preemptive. Make sure they are well-rested, well-fed, and hydrated before you take them out. If you take hungry, tired, thirsty kids out shopping you are guaranteed a cranky time. Also bring a bag of things to occupy them: books, small toys, small snacks, paper, crayons, etc.

I agree, 45 minutes is WAY longer than I would have stayed at the store, but it's not my place to judge. But very good advice, they want an audience, even at home if my son starts acting out or throwing a fit I tell him he can go do that in his room because I won't pay attention to him while he acts that way. He usually goes in his room for like a minute then realizes it's boring when there's nobody there to watch you!

This is my parenting approach as well. I know that if this doesn't work and his tantrum starts rolling (that's what we call it in our house when he just can't reign it in and it just keeps growing and there are no right answers) that he is way over tired and over stimulated. The only way I would have him out in a situation like that for that long is if I had no other options and no other time to run the errand. Sometimes you go into a shopping trip thinking "I'm pushing my luck here, but this 1.5 is all I have between now and Christmas and if I don't get it done there will be no Christmas (food on the table for dinner, etc)."
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with crying kids, even though when I was little if I cried in public I got one warning and if I continued we left right then and there. Getting denied fun things made me stop that behavior real quick.

This^^ quite frequently, but on the days that I got real bad there was a slap - but my mom's look/stare (this was her warning) was usually enough to stop it with a quickness....we new what would come next.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'm saying I didn't throw tantrums. If I did, I'd get it bad with a leather belt. And it worked on me. I was spanked for backtalking, pouting, and crying (if I was warned and didn't stop). When i was older (6-9) I was spanked for getting grades below a B. I was raised right, and disciplined well. I grew up fine, had good grades, wasn't rude, was thankful for what I got, and respected my parents...who chose to discipline me.

I worked with kids a lot when I was in HS (daycare). This was when i decided I would never have them. I don't hate kids, but I don't ever want one.

Wow. You got spanked for crying and grades lower than a B?! So does that mean that while you're being spanked -- sorry, abused -- if you cried you'd get abused harder? You think that is discipline? So based on this when you're in a relationship and the man decides that he just wants to start hitting you you're ok with that because it's discipline? Honey, what you grew up with is NOT normal in the least. NO ONE should hit their child so hard that they leave welts that bleed. I got spanked as a kid, sure but it was a hard whack on the butt and that was it and I never got beat for bad grades. Grounded? Hell yeah but never, ever did I get beat for a bad grade and guess what? I was an honors student.

Without suffering a beating.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I thought I knew everything about kids. Was full of annoyance at public tantrums. Judged my family and friends. Swore up and down that MY KID would Never do that (insert various bad annoying behaviors here)... UNTIL I had a kid.

You seriously have no clue until you have to deal with it yourself. and if you plan on making them bleed with a belt or any other weapon for that matter, please get yourself spayed....

Do you let your child tweak out in public, say, at a restaurant, where people are trying to enjoy a meal? Yeah, it sucks dealing with a screaming, freaking out child, but to subject those around you to that is not cool. I know what you mean, I have a 10 month old, who has her moments. I also have nephews 7mo-3.5yrs) who aren't always perfect. When they act up, they're removed from the situation- even if its only to continue the freakout in the car.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    *eye roll*

You obviously don't have children. For all you know that boy could have been autistic, speaking from experience, there isn't really anything you can do to stop that behavior when it starts.