Do u think Tebow is getting the shaft?

Options

Replies

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I think that Rex Ryan has no intentions of ever playing Tim Tebow unless he's instructed to by the GM or owner. That being the case, I hope Tim lands on a team for next season where he gets a fair chance to prove himself.

Is he the next great QB? Probably not, but he could be! Won't know unless he is given a chance.

No, he is not. We all saw that last year.
  • ajp913
    ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The thing that I don't understand is, why did the Jets even bother? They gave up a good chunk to get him, then buried him on the bench. I think it was easy for him to be positive in the beginning, feeling like "this team really wants me here and is going to give me a shot." It seems like maybe the Jets thought they'd pick up Tebow, Sanchez would perform and they'd flip him for another asset down the line? Except then.. .Sanchez failed to perform (to the point where butt fumble is one of the most recurring gifs on the web right now) and the Jets didn't know what to do with Tebow... so they went with their third string... who also didn't perform, and got hurt... so then the Jets go back to Sanchez... because they've made it abundantly clear they do not want Tebow throwing the ball at all...

So, yah, I think Tebow got the shaft... I agree that he's no Mannnig (Eli/Peyton) or Brees or... crap... he's not even Collin Kapernick... but he deserves an honest shot.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Oh and to add ESPN rave on Josh Freeman but everyone else see how awful he is. so i dont pay attention to what the reports have to say..... if the right person worked with Tebow he will one day be a great quarterback
  • 6packb450
    Options
    Tebow is no Kyle Orton or Peyton Manning... but he is someone... somewhere (over the rainbow)
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to never hear his name ever again. He's such a horribly judgemental self-righteous human being. As a player he's overrated.
    you are projecting your own biases. i don't think you could find a single quote of anything judgemental or self-righteous he's ever said as the QB at Florida, Denver, or NY.
    With all due respect if you don't see it then it is likely your bias. The guy literally wears it on his face. Believe me I'm equally annoyed with the "god gave us the win" comments by other players and coaches. but these other people generally aren't as in your face and annoying. God has nothing to do with football. Using your mythology as a way to become a spectacle especially in an effort to advance one's career is deplorable. Advance by your talent and merits.
    Quite the tolerant attitude there. :huh:

Who gives a rat's *kitten* if he has a scriptural reference on his face? Is he hurting anyone?

God might have nothing to do with football, but the game is played by human beings -- human beings with beliefs and opinions they are free to express. if you're looking for a sterile sport with little to no individual personality, watch polo.

Also, pray tell -- how has Tebow's personal beliefs advanced his football career?
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The Jets thought they could use Tebow in the wild Cat offense but that never paned out because other Defense played them a lot different this year, . Besides they were never able to get anything going on offense.
    Tebow should play full back or tight end , He's not a QB ......
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Oh and to add ESPN rave on Josh Freeman but everyone else see how awful he is. so i dont pay attention to what the reports have to say..... if the right person worked with Tebow he will one day be a great quarterback

very very doubtful. great QBs dont usually need to work with anyone.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Josh Freeman is a pretty decent QB.

He's better than Stafford, imo.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to never hear his name ever again. He's such a horribly judgemental self-righteous human being. As a player he's overrated.

you are projecting your own biases. i don't think you could find a single quote of anything judgemental or self-righteous he's ever said as the QB at Florida, Denver, or NY.
    With all due respect if you don't see it then it is likely your bias. The guy literally wears it on his face. Believe me I'm equally annoyed with the "god gave us the win" comments by other players and coaches. but these other people generally aren't as in your face and annoying. God has nothing to do with football. Using your mythology as a way to become a spectacle especially in an effort to advance one's career is deplorable. Advance by your talent and merits.

you seem to be the poster child for those who hate him because they hate Christianity (or mythology as you refer to it). it's a free country, you can believe what you want about Tebow. but you accused him of being judgemental and self-righteous. in a court of law, you'd have to prove that. i don't think you can. i'm not an evangelical myself, but the guy's whole life has been about living by the code he believes in. that includes missionary work in the Philippines where's he's helped build a hospital, and also spending time and visiting with sick kids in Hospitals all over Florida, Colorado, and NY. if that makes him bad, then we need more bad people in this world.

also, he is in the NFL because of his talent and merit. the kid won 2 national championships in college (1 as the starter) and the Heisman Trophy. he was evaluated at the combine and drafted. the only knock on him being drafted by ANYBODY is that many thought he'd be a 2nd round pick instead of a 1st. he was 1-2 as a starter for the Broncos in 2010. he was 7-4 (or 8-5 if you include the playoffs) as a starter in 2011. it's pretty hard to do that if you don't have some amount of talent.
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    if the right person worked with Tebow he will one day be a great quarterback

Lots of people worked with him. Last year John Elway, hall of famer and superbowl champ, worked with him. It will never happen for Tebow because he will never become an NFL QB. If his ego was not so large he would move to something like split end where he could become a very good player and contribute.

But his ego is too large for all that.... which you saw when he recently refused to run the wildcat.
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    .He's better than Stafford, imo.

Now you're talking crazy.
  • narcissus1199
    narcissus1199 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Tebow is no Kyle Orton or Peyton Manning... but he is someone... somewhere (over the rainbow)

Wow! Not sure if Kyle Orton's name should ever be used in the same sentence as Peyton Manning...
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    also, he is in the NFL because of his talent and merit. the kid won 2 national championships in college (1 as the starter) and the Heisman Trophy. he was evaluated at the combine and drafted. the only knock on him being drafted by ANYBODY is that many thought he'd be a 2nd round pick instead of a 1st. he was 1-2 as a starter for the Broncos in 2010. he was 7-4 (or 8-5 if you include the playoffs) as a starter in 2011. it's pretty hard to do that if you don't have some amount of talent.

No, it's really not that hard. He was on a great team.. the same team that has won 10 straight this year. The Broncos made the playoffs despite Tebow, not because of him.

The Ravens won a Superbowl with Trent DIlfer... so that let's you know that a team can win without having a superstar.
    However, Dilfer was halfway accurate. Tebow is far from that.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I stand by what I said. Stafford is the perfect QB.... if you all you wanted from your QB was to play a pass game to 1 receiver every game. I can see why Detroit would want that with Megatron but Freeman is a more effective QB and didn't rely on V. Jax to pad his stats.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

No, it's really not that hard. He was on a great team.. the same team that has won 10 straight this year. The Broncos made the playoffs despite Tebow, not because of him.

The Ravens won a Superbowl with Trent DIlfer... so that let's you know that a team can win without having a superstar.

the Broncos were 1-4 with Orton in 2011. they were 4-12 the year before. they were NOT a great team last year. i'm a lifelong Broncos fan and know football and the team much better than a casual fan. Manning is the difference here this year. it's more than just being the QB. he's brought a level of accountability to the younger players that only comes from playing alongside a perfectionist like him who has a career that makes him a 1st vote HOF'er.

there was no place here for Tebow once Elway got Manning. it made no sense for the team or for Tebow. but Tebow could have a spot in this league running a hybrid offense. that offense is already starting to show up a bit in some NFL cities. he just needs to become a better pocket passer and he needs to fix some of his mechanics, but you can still prosper in this league with poor mechanics (see Rivers in SD for example). i didn't know much about Tebow before he was drafted, and don't really follow him now that's he's gone, but he is a good kid and i'd like to see him do well. it was just never going to work for him in NY with Ryan. Ryan is tied to the hip with Sanchez. Tebow never had a chance to be anything more than an occasional gimmick player there.
  • sm1zzle
    Options

I stand by what I said. Stafford is the perfect QB.... if you all you wanted from your QB was to play a pass game to 1 receiver every game. I can see why Detroit would want that with Megatron but Freeman is a more effective QB and didn't rely on V. Jax to pad his stats.
    He only didn't have to rely on Action Jackson because he had Mike Williams on the other side who was not getting the double teams Jackson was. Give Stafford a WR on the other side of Megatron that is of the quality of Mike Williams and Stafford will blow Freeman out of the water. Not to mention Det doesn't have near the running game that Tampa has which takes further pressure off Freeman.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Quite the tolerant attitude there. :huh:

Who gives a rat's *kitten* if he has a scriptural reference on his face? Is he hurting anyone?

God might have nothing to do with football, but the game is played by human beings -- human beings with beliefs and opinions they are free to express. if you're looking for a sterile sport with little to no individual personality, watch polo.

Also, pray tell -- how has Tebow's personal beliefs advanced his football career?
    Because he engages in spectacle. By doing this he has garnered some notoriety based on spectacle more than talent. This would be fine for an entertainer but he's an athlete. I could care less about people's mythological beliefs. Since they are personal it would be best if folks would generally keep those things to themselves.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Matt stafford= Stat Padford
  • sm1zzle
    Options

the Broncos were 1-4 with Orton in 2011. they were 4-12 the year before. they were NOT a great team last year. i'm a lifelong Broncos fan and know football and the team much better than a casual fan. Manning is the difference here this year. it's more than just being the QB. he's brought a level of accountability to the younger players that only comes from playing alongside a perfectionist like him who has a career that makes him a 1st vote HOF'er.

there was no place here for Tebow once Elway got Manning. it made no sense for the team or for Tebow. but Tebow could have a spot in this league running a hybrid offense. that offense is already starting to show up a bit in some NFL cities. he just needs to become a better pocket passer and he needs to fix some of his mechanics, but you can still prosper in this league with poor mechanics (see Rivers in SD for example). i didn't know much about Tebow before he was drafted, and don't really follow him now that's he's gone, but he is a good kid and i'd like to see him do well. it was just never going to work for him in NY with Ryan. Ryan is tied to the hip with Sanchez. Tebow never had a chance to be anything more than an occasional gimmick player there.

Not a great team ? That is the same team on the field this year that was on last year but with one huge upgrade: a REAL qb. That defense was great last year ( which is how they got into the playoffs) and it's great this year.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Because he engages in spectacle. By doing this he has garnered some notoriety based on spectacle more than talent. This would be fine for an entertainer but he's an athlete.
    Perhaps you haven't noticed the scores of other athletes (now and over the years) with scriptural references on their person, or that kneel in prayer or cross themselves on the field of play. What's happened is that the media has put this man's personal beliefs and off-field activities into the spotlight. He has not done it himself.

Do you get bent out of shape by other athletes that spike the ball, dance or participate in other "spectacle"? Again, stick to polo or cricket if you want a lack of personal expression from the participants.
    I could care less about people's mythological beliefs.
    Apparently not.
    Since they are personal it would be best if folks would generally keep those things to themselves.
    What other forms of expression would you like to see suppressed? :huh: Is it hurting you or anyone else in some way?