What is the worst comment you ever got about your weight?

Options

Replies

• lisforlaurenn
    lisforlaurenn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Before I started working out and joined a gym my father told me that if I didn't lose weight I was just going to get so fat that I would explode and they would have to shovel my guts out of my bedroom. I kid you not, I can't tell you how horrible I felt after that. My dad is really in shape and not that that excuses his comment. Even though I have been making progress he doesn't say anything, I guess it's better than negative comments, so there's that.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I teach preschool. Three year olds have no tact and just report what they see. They aren't hurtful, but when the comments started coming more and more frequently, it was a warning light.
    "Why do you have a big tushy?"
    "Do you have a baby in your tummy"
    "You're so squishy!!!"
    "You have a big bottom!"
    "You're a fat lady."

My 'favorite' was when a little boy was being oh-so-gentlemanly and wanted to pull out my chair for me to sit down. He pulled it out from the table, then he looked at me, and then he pulled it out another two feet!! It really was funny. But geez, seriously???
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about what I hate about being fat because of a previous post and it got me wondering about other people's worse comment. Here is the one I remember from when I was 30lbs lighter than I am currently.

I have a brother who is about 400 lbs and he does NOT wash as well as he should (YUCK) and his wife was complaining that my brother stunk because of his fat rolls and then she looked at me and said "you know what I mean Beck, your big". I just stood there for a few minutes and couldn't even think, then I said " No Tonya, I don't know what you mean because I wash everyday and here is the secret to not stinking, I use SOAP".

My SIL is an idiot but it still stung!

I honestly cannot remember getting any comments but I do remember the looks I would get from my skinny sister-in-law and skinny mother-in-law when I would eat any more than their tiny portions of food that they allowed themselves. I have been freed of my rapacious appetite by cutting sugar and wheat out of my diet. Now I could look at others in a self-righteous way if I wanted to but I know what it is like to be a prisoner of food so I just try to help others find the freedom I have found. :smile:
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    The last words my ex (who I had found in our bed with another woman) shouted at me was: "Look at yourself in the mirror, you are disgusting! No man can ever love you, you are a fat, despicable cow!"
    I know I shouldn't have bought into it, but eight years later, I'm still alone and it still hurts...

This makes me want to find the *kitten* and shoot him. Scum like that is a waste of air. God. :mad:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Last year, when I went somewhere with my family and we all dressed up, my mom (as usual) started commenting on my outfit. Usually it's very complimentary. This one time she said "That's a pretty dress. But are you sure you're wearing the right size?"
  • treencha83
    Options
    From an ex during the relationship: "We both know your *kitten* is big."
    From a dude, post-date in online messaging: "Walking behind you was kind of a turn-off."
    ON a blind date: "You're bigger than I thought."

I'm now married to a wonderful man who loves my every curve and bump.
  • 2pupsmama
    Options
    One I forgot about...As I walked into a buffet, I heard a customer say, " Everyone fill your plates before he comes and eats it all"

Even though I was fat I didn't eat a lot of food I just ate all the bad foods.

If my guy ever heard that comment in a restaurant, the person who made it would be eating their meals with a straw for a long LONG time.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I dated a guy in college. He was a football player. The first night we ever were intimate (after a loooong time of waiting) he said, "I really like you. You have a beautiful face. If you lost 15lbs you'd be perfect for me." (mind you, i was a US12 at the time and quite non-flabby)

Gaaah...did I mention I was naked ? I can't remember how I dealt with it... all I know is that I have yo yo dieted and been all sizes from UK8 to UK22. I'm 44 as of yesterday, and that still sticks with me. Horrific!

I, too, became intimate with a "jock" type guy. After using me for sex for three months, he one night told me that before we could 'officially' be together, I should work on losing weight first. Oh my GOD.
  • ArianaLuvsMe101
    Options
    I was called a hulk by someone and it hurt a lot. But then I lost 10 lb and proved them wrong. But then I gained them back :-P
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Ugh, some people can be awful. It's too bad that we can't just hit the mute button on them! I'm sort of in new territory for my as prior to my wedding, people used to worry that I had an eating disorder or something, but I've heard a couple after deciding it's time to shed the 40 pounds I've gained.

The most common one I hear is, "You look fine, you don't need to lose weight." This is usually from my family after I tell them how unhappy I am in my own skin and how awful in feel. This comment makes me feel like I'm wrong for wanting to look and feel healthier.

I wish the best of luck to all of you!
  • CatrinaMazur
    Options
    My mother in law always made comments about my weight. I met my hubby when I was 15, at 20 I had to put on some weight for Heart Surgery and she called me a fat lady. I gained 10 pounds for the surgery so was 130 at 5'6. Crazy, I'm still with my hubby but have not spoken to my mother in law in years, never anything nice to say.
  • slimjenny21
    slimjenny21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was working my retail job and I was wearing a baggier shirt, and a lady comes up to me and starts chatting and she's like, yeah I'm looking for a shirt for my daughter who's a big girl. And then I show her to the shirts and she holds up a XXL shirt to me, as if measuring. I'm overweight, but I'm not that big.

And also, my mom always trying to justify my weight gain on birth control pills whenever family tells me I've gained weight. I don't need an excuse, I overate myself to this point, that's the end of the story. And my mom just can't accept that fact.
  • SassJess81
    SassJess81 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ex Boyfriend: "Just walk you fat c**t"

Lady who worked at Walmart: "would you like to try on the maternity style?"

Random strangers: "when are you due?"

Mother: "you could try being less large"

Mother, when I lost my job : "it won't kill you to not eat for a few days"

Friends kid: " you're having a baby, aren't you?"

Friends kid, when babysitting with another friend named Jess: "FAT JESS, FAT JESS, come here!"

Seriously, they all hurt. But I tell myself that my weight has absolutely no effect on my worth as a person, and only hurt people hurt people.
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I work in a restaurant, a tiny little OAP came in, probably about 80+ years old and says to me "so is the food here any good" with humour in his voice, I joked back "well I eat it!" and then he burst out laughing and pointing "yeah I can see that". Then a stranger told him how that was kinda rude. I shrugged it off, put his food through, then had a little cry around the back lol.

Then there was this time when a mentally ill lady came in talking to herself and making bird tweeting, telephone noises. She pointed at me from across the restaurant and shouted out "Ring Ring Ring, LOOK AT HER FAT *kitten*! Ring Ring Ring". Her carer went scarlet and begged her to keep quiet. I just avoided her for the rest of their meal but I said to my OH, that one hurt the most because it was a truthful inner voice coming out of her, as apposed to all the unflattering lies friends and family give you like "your not fat you're just cuddly" lol!
  • LollipopViolet
    LollipopViolet Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Aged about 15, being followed down a corridor by this one kid who would say "wibble wobble, wibble wobble, jelly on a plate" Every. Time. He. Saw. Me. Not cool.

Having "fat b!@ch" shouted at me from cars a few times has stung a bit too.

Need to lose weight so that when my friend's son learns to talk HE doesn't start with the comments, in that oh so cute but completely tactless way only toddlers have! :laugh:
  • em3120
    em3120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    One that I remember especially was when I ran into my old gym teacher at the grocery store and the first thing that came out of his mouth was, “WOW you have gotten big.” I don’t remember my response but it was horrifying! He then proceeded to ask if I was going to start any sports again.
  • cholderer
    cholderer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    From about 3rd to 7th grade I had a very large, round head and my parents called it a soccer ball head. I knew they were only joking and that it wasn't meant to be hurtful (and I admitt it did look like a soccer ball) but it didn't make it any better.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I would have to say while I was at work.Two seperate occasions. One is when 2 young teenage boys walked passed me while I was cashiering in a store jammed packed with people, and the one boy yelkled out as he looked right at me and was walking by"I SMELL FAT PEOPLE" and continued on. Um overweight people don't stink if they shower. Stupid kid. And the second one was recently, I now supervise said cashiers and there was a guy who came up to customer service to complain our bakery ran out of sample cookies. I apologized and explained we had been very busy, and moms pick them up for their kids through the store to preoccupy them and he said"Please b***h obviously it looks like you ate them all" in front of about 20 of my co workers and then left. Phew yeah, I get my fair share!!
  • AudreyinNC
    Options
    Love this post. I have some good ones but mostly from work, I work in a male dominated environment, in the trucking industry. I'm a shop admin. I have 8 mechanics, 1 foreman, and lots of drivers. This is not an invironment full of geniuses to say the LEAST but it still hurts.
    1 of my mechanics is the WORST. He is the most vain person I've ever known in my life, to the point even the other guys call him vain. And he's far from Mr.Universe. But all he ever talks about are women, and their flaws. Whether it be feet, hair, bodytype, whatever. He could stand to lose maybe 40 lbs. and isnt the cutest person in the world, which I would never point out, but he's pointed out just about everything to me, and in front of everyone.
    One day, he asked me what I would do if my husband cheated on me with a skinnier woman. I was about 190 lbs, size US 14 at the time. I said I don't know. What would you do if your current girlfriend cheated on you with a cuter guy? I should NOT have stooped so low, I admit. One day, he informed everyone in the breakroom that I had officially achieved "big girl" status. Nobody laughed, they just looked at him. I asked him if he knew the definition of obnoxious and everyone laughed at that and he had this look of confusion on his face, he really did not see how stupid he was.
    This is crazy, but I think he was the reason for my change. I saw exactly how big I looked to everyone through his comments.
    Unfortunately it took two years of these comments for me to break. The other day he told me if I kep[t losing weight I would have a big head a little skinny body. And I ALMOST said all that fried chicken has you looking like your pregnant with twins. But I just smiled. It's funny how 20 people can praise your progress, and tell you how hot you look, and his is the one that I remember most. Why?
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Love this post. I have some good ones but mostly from work, I work in a male dominated environment, in the trucking industry. I'm a shop admin. I have 8 mechanics, 1 foreman, and lots of drivers. This is not an invironment full of geniuses to say the LEAST but it still hurts.
    1 of my mechanics is the WORST. He is the most vain person I've ever known in my life, to the point even the other guys call him vain. And he's far from Mr.Universe. But all he ever talks about are women, and their flaws. Whether it be feet, hair, bodytype, whatever. He could stand to lose maybe 40 lbs. and isnt the cutest person in the world, which I would never point out, but he's pointed out just about everything to me, and in front of everyone.
    One day, he asked me what I would do if my husband cheated on me with a skinnier woman. I was about 190 lbs, size US 14 at the time. I said I don't know. What would you do if your current girlfriend cheated on you with a cuter guy? I should NOT have stooped so low, I admit. One day, he informed everyone in the breakroom that I had officially achieved "big girl" status. Nobody laughed, they just looked at him. I asked him if he knew the definition of obnoxious and everyone laughed at that and he had this look of confusion on his face, he really did not see how stupid he was.
    This is crazy, but I think he was the reason for my change. I saw exactly how big I looked to everyone through his comments.
    Unfortunately it took two years of these comments for me to break. The other day he told me if I kep[t losing weight I would have a big head a little skinny body. And I ALMOST said all that fried chicken has you looking like your pregnant with twins. But I just smiled. It's funny how 20 people can praise your progress, and tell you how hot you look, and his is the one that I remember most. Why?

because it hurt.