What is the worst comment you ever got about your weight?

Options

Replies

• NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My mother basically told me that I was "too big" to get a boyfriend and that it was my own fault I haven't been on a date in a while. I still haven't gotten over that. I cried for about a week after. That was 4 months ago.

my mom used to tell me this as well
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Back in 2011 this really caught me. My gf/s co worker called me a Hamburger and of course he was hating and that's what she told me. I'd really like to meet that guy and slap him down because

1) He was right, maybe I was really fat!!
    2) He didn't know I was on my way to a fitness journey.

After a year he said that, I ran my first half marathon and did a Spartan Beast (15 mile mud run).

I'm sure he'll never be able to catch up with that. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I was at a cookout a number of years ago after having gained about 20 pounds (which put me up to a whopping 130) and my friend's mother (who was drinking, as usual) said very loudly in front of everyone... "Gee there, honey, you've put on a lot of weight". My first thought was, do you think calling me "honey" made saying that all right? I replied "Well thank you so much for pointing it out to me, I had absolutely NO IDEA I'd gained weight!" LOL.... everyone laughed, she looked like an idiot, and while I had deflected the comment it still really hurt.

I was also very aware that my mother treated me very differently when I had some extra pounds on. I was going through a rough patch in my life and there was a family event looming on the horizon. I told my mother I was opting out of going because I just didn't feel like having to explain my situation to anyone. The next day she was on the phone with one of my aunts and said "No, she's not coming because she's ashamed of the way she looks".... I was stunned. I wasn't aware I had any reason to be ashamed of how I looked but apparently she did. I had no problem chewing her out for making that statement and she just looked at me and said well, you've gained so much weight I figured you must be ashamed. I snapped back "you outweigh me by 30 pounds! Are YOU ashamed?" That shut her up. She had been so tiny in her youth I don't think she ever fully understood what being on the receiving end of comments like that felt like.

And of course I heard "when are you due" so many times that I couldn't wait to hit menopause so that people would see me as too old to make that kind of comment.

ETA: I also feel, as another person commented, that "fat discrimination" is still the one totally, socially acceptable prejudice. Yell racial slurs at someone or say something about their ethnicity or religious beliefs and you'll be in trouble. Call them fat and make fun of them and that seems to be OK to way too many people.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    If you lose any more weight, you might disappear completely
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    An acquaintance was telling me a story about a woman who was "disgustingly fat and obese" she said "She must have weighed..." looked me up and down obviously trying to judge my weight "about 350lb, well she was bigger than you anyway" realises what she's implied "not that you're fat"... erm, thanks :noway: :grumble:
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    "Hey look at that fat cow"
  • ambercracker
    Options
    1st: Someone calling me a whale when I was only 140 [90lbs lighter then what I am now] She was suppose to be a friend and this has made me resent her for YEARS even thought we are on friendly terms now. Not only that but at the time I was thinner then her!
    2nd: I work at a restaurant and as soon as these college guys walked in the door "Are we getting served by fat today!?" Doesn't really make much sense but it still hurt.
    3rd: After not seeing my boyfriends grandma for about 2 years, she didn't even recognize me. I told her who she was and all she said was" oh you've gain a bit haven't you?"
    4th: Two girls I went to school with were at a restaurant and as I walked in I heard one say to the other" Wow she got fat". Coming from two of the biggest girls in that high school it made me feel really lousy.
    Someday I'm going to make it so NO ONE can give me crap about my weight ever again.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I was training someone in a workplace I was visiting. The stuff they were doing was so bad it was reportable. I was trying to explain things as clearly as possible but in a polite, firm way. The person listening obviously didn't care less and so turned around and asked me 'when are you due?' I was 60kg, 132 pounds, and no way did I look pregnant. but because I was young, it stuck for a long time.
  • mariaT29
    mariaT29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When i was 22 and wanted a baby with my boyfriend,he told me "maybe if you weren't so Fat i'd actually want a baby with you"... that crushed me! Then he told me to turn off the lights when we were intimate so that he didn't have to look at my fat *kitten*
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    From my mom, said to various relatives: She's too skinny. She's anorexic. Ugh. Going to the gym totally ruined her body.
  • MDIRunner
    Options
    When are you due?

Um, I wasn't pregnant.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Being told "you are fat" when I was, in fact, thin/at a good weight. Being told "you are not fat" when, in fact, I was morbidly obese (nearly 100lbs over weight).

ETA: I personally believe that anyone who tells another person they are fat are doing it SOLELY to cause hurt, because they KNOW it bothers people. I got to the point I would just look at people who called me fat and say "Is that the best you can do?" Shuts them up every time.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    too numerous to state. Luckily God is pretty merciful to me and gives me selective hearing and memory.
  • M0TZO
    M0TZO Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When my Wii Fit Board said I was too heavy to use it.
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    when i was 16 my grandpa passed away and because of the burial place, we werent allowed to watch them bury him. Once he was buried, we went to the grave site. Now with that being said, my WORST comment EVER was from my uncle.

When my grandpa died I was completely heartbroken and I turned to food as my comfort zone. I gained about 100lbs between 16 and 19 years old. After my grandpa funeral I didnt see my uncle for a few years and the 1st time I seen him since I was 16. He said to me: "are you sure we buried your grandfather? Looks like you ate him! You know we didnt actually see him get buried."

I was so mad and upset, I hit his big *kitten* over with my car and crushed his foot!
  • coolonedee
    coolonedee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    About 6 years ago my girl cousin says " It's good to see even the skinny ones can gain weight". Ouchh. I had never realized until then that she was envious of my physique...a physique I had never really paid attention to and then bam! one day I'm like 25 lbs heavier. Now I'm 40# over that weight from 6 yrs ago. Grr.
  • coolonedee
    coolonedee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When are you due?

Um, I wasn't pregnant.

Umm yeah, I've gotten that one too. Yuck! The empire waisted shirt I was wearing was promply "donated".
  • thatonegirlamy
    Options
    I think the worst of them have come from my dad, even though he was usually nice about it, I guess just it coming from him hurt the worst. I can think of a few occasions in high school (where I was by no means fat at all) where people made comments and they stuck because my self esteem was already so low.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    When i was 22 and wanted a baby with my boyfriend,he told me "maybe if you weren't so Fat i'd actually want a baby with you"... that crushed me! Then he told me to turn off the lights when we were intimate so that he didn't have to look at my fat *kitten*

Please tell me you left him what an *kitten* :explode: :explode: :angry: :angry: :explode: :explode: :mad:
  • Ticeann22
    Options
    Growing up my uncle's nickname for me was pudgy. That really sticks out! He would poke my belly and say "what's up pudgy?" I would laugh it off but it really hurt.

Here"s one my mom gets alot she actually told me recently that really hurts her feelings. She has a friend that refers to her as "Big Susan" when she's talking to other mutual friends. So the other day she said you know what " Shut up "Ugly Patsy" ! Haha Go MOM!