Tattoo to symbolize weight loss?

Options
123457»

Replies

• JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Here's my suggestion since this sounds like your first tattoo
    Well.....that's what I know. I'm sure others might feel differently, but like I say......I've lived this stuff long before most people on MFP were just twinkles in their parents eyes.

All of this! Most fantastic tattoo advice ever.
  • zoraiya
    zoraiya Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted a tattoo, but never wanted to get one because of the weight. It is definitely on my list for once I lose the weight and keep it off! For mine, I was thinking a Phoenix, symbolizing rebirth.
  • mills101
    Options
    I want one when I reach my goal but i have no clue what
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Here's my suggestion since this sounds like your first tattoo ( I saw you asking if it hurt.....and for most people it hurts a lot!!). I wouldn't get a tattoo symbolizing your weight loss until you have lost the weight and kept it off for a few years. If you think it's going to inspire you to keep it off, that would be a high-risk bet and you will then regret it every time you looked at it if you put your weight back on. I have a number of complex tattoos and I develop them in my head for a year or more before I have them put on. I've seen waaaaaaaay too many people regret their ink and have to do cover ink -or- worse yet have them burned off.

Couple rules to follow.

1). The ONLY names you should have put on your body is your Mom, a favorite dog or your favorite motorcycle. NEVER - EVER - EVER a husband, wife, boyfriend or girlfriend and if one of the aforementioned ever asks you to put their name on you, KICK them to the curb immediately. Having someone's name tattooed on your body is not a sign of love, it's a sign of insecurity.

2). Never do a cheap tattoo. Those $50.00-$200.00 tattoos look like $50.00-$200.00 tattoos and your ink tells people about you. If you are putting something on your body for life, pay to have it done right.

3). Never get ink when you've been drinking or partying or just hanging out with a bunch of friends. Most people end up regretting "spur of the moment" tattoos. Did I mention that I've seen many people go through the pain of cover ink and having them burned off? Either way hurts a lot more than the original tattoo itself.

4). Find a great artist, with a good number of references. Just looking at their portfolio, doesn't guarantee anything. I've seen waaaaay too many people disappointed in their results by trying to save money. Think about it....have you ever painted a room after looking at a color pallet and been disappointed with how it looks?? Well....painting a room and getting it wrong is pretty easy to fix.

5). Never do one that you think is funny. Your sense of humor and society is going to change over the years and tattoos are not like your living room carpet that you can change when it is no longer popular.

6). Always get ones that are in places that can be covered up when you need to dress professionally. You never know what career opportunities might pass you by because of ink. You might not care now.....but in 10 years, you might feel differently.

Well.....that's what I know. I'm sure others might feel differently, but like I say......I've lived this stuff long before most people on MFP were just twinkles in their parents eyes.

Good, sound advice :wink: . I always watch ink master and other tattoo shows on tv and I have heard some of these things mentioned before. It definitely makes sense. I thought of having my children's names put into the tattoo, since I think I am safe with using their names LOL but I am just not sure at this point. I lost the bulk of my weight in 2011 but I slowly gained a few back. I won't get it done until I have lost this bit and kept it off again for awhile. I feel like the tattoo might serve as a great reminder of what I endured after maintenance gets old, in several years :laugh:
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Get: "1-800-LAP-BAND"
  • aeroback
    aeroback Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of putting my highest weight on my wrist so I could see it and never go back there again.

I like that idea!!!!!!!
  • aeroback
    aeroback Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Couple rules to follow.

1). The ONLY names you should have put on your body is your Mom, a favorite dog or your favorite motorcycle. NEVER - EVER - EVER a husband, wife, boyfriend or girlfriend and if one of the aforementioned ever asks you to put their name on you, KICK them to the curb immediately. Having someone's name tattooed on your body is not a sign of love, it's a sign of insecurity.

AND YOUR CHILDREN!!!
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea, whatever you do to celebrate tur weight loss is brilliant.
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone here has got, or considered, a tattoo symbolizing your weight loss accomplishment? I have been considering the idea since I lost 100lbs for the first time, two years ago. I am trying to re-lose the 15 pounds I have put back on over the last two years due to a less than perfect maintenance period. I have also been recovering from major back surgery so exercise isn't really feasible right now but I am trying my best.
    For myself, losing this weight is up there with the accomplishments I am most proud of. I don't have any tattoos but I wouldn't mind a small one low on my hip where it will only be seen by myself and DH. I wonder what sort of symbol would be best. I don't really want a scale. Please share your ideas, or even a pic if you wish :wink:

YES YES YES! I am holding out until I lose more weight until I get my next one!
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    I am getting one on my forarm that reads:
    Believe in yourself
    Success comes from hard work

And yes my job don't care I already have one on my other forarm (I get the question all the time y there you can't cover it up at work so its cool that they don't care and I never plan on leaving so no problem)
  • Mundy86
    Mundy86 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • janahcarter
    janahcarter Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My tattoo idea really doesn't have much to do with my weightloss. I told my husband if by my 22nd birthday (May) I'm comfortable with wearing sleeveless shirts, I'm going to get one on my shoulder. I'm going to get the cross country foot with the wings with "Dad" in there somewhere. My Dad was overweight for as long as I could remember and he lost over 150 pounds before he passed away 2 years ago. He loved running and I thought it would be a nice reminder of not only how far I've come, but how far he went.
  • ImmaZombie
    Options
    There are a lot of great ideas on google or bing images. Just type in "tattoos symbolizing change". :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!