Do you have a strange eating habit?

Options

Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    When I eat a banana, I never finish the whole thing. I always leave about 1.5"

No idea why...

I peel my banana's from the wrong end. Like monkeys do, ???

That's actually the right way. I'm trying to get in that habit now. It works so much better.

but thats the butt!

And....we've come full circle, folks! LOL

It's your fault. I told you I would never look at a banana the same way. LOL
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have to eat the whites of fried eggs first. Then, I have to eat the yolks on toast. If I don't have toast I have to have my eggs scrambled.
  • mdyorston
    Options
    A friend of a friend used to go to McDonald's get a meal and a shake and then take it home and put it ALL in the blender and eat it just like that...............YUCK!
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm cracking up because there are SO many things in this thread that I do! To name a few:

1) I start by eating the outside of just about everything, and work my way in towards the middle. When I eat a Reese's peanut butter cup, I eat all the chocolate off the edges and top, so it's just the peanut butter on a disk of chocolate. Then I eat that.

2) If I'm eating multi-colored candy, I sort it by color. With things like Skittles or Starburst where the colors taste different, I always start with the lemon because it's my least favorite, and work my way towards the red ones in order of how much I like them.

3) I don't really like mayo, except in egg salad and devilled eggs. I LOVE it in those.

4) I've never eaten ranch dressing. When I was a kid, I was very picky about sauces and condiments and didn't eat many of them. As I grew up, I just never tried it. Most people I know love it (and do things like dip slices of pizza in it), so I refuse to try it. I figure that I'd either hate it or love it, and I don't need the extra calories if I love it.

5) Runny egg yolks completely gross me out. I tend to like most things cooked much farther than other people do.

6) I go on weird food jags, where I'll want eat something every day for weeks at a time. It's normally a lunch item or meal, and I have no idea why.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I tend to tear my food into teeny tiny pieces and then eat it.

I also do this to about anything that is finger food. Drives friends nuts! lol
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If I ever eat a Snicker's bar (much rarer now that I started on MFP), I bite the bottom off, eating the nougat before eating the rest of it.
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I can not drink out of a can. I am always afraid something crawled into the can when I wasn't looking. Same with keeping water by my bed. It can't be an open container. If it is I have to turn on the light and check it before drinking just in case there is a spider in the glass.

Yes I need help.

One time I was drinking a Dr. Pepper in a bottle and felt something in my mouth. I assumed it was a piece of syrup or something and bit into it. It squirted! I spit it out and guess what it was? A roach egg. Not kidding.

That's so horrifyingly gross. I'm never drinking out of a can again.
  • mdyorston
    Options
    I can't eat my eggs, omelette or scrambled, until its lightly brown.....wet eggs gross me out
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    When I make omlettes I stir stuff into the egg like mustard, vinegar, or a salad dressing, etc.
  • PeaceFitSkinny
    Options
    I pull off each end of a banana before I eat it,I also chew on the kernals after the popcorn is gone and swirl my icecream around the bowl before I eat it.lol
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Dont like hot liquids. No hot chocolate, tea, coffee or soup
  • skintimate32
    Options
    I do that too!
    Oh, this too. You know how waffles have the criss-cross lines? And grilled steak has the sear marks that criss-cross on it? When I was a kid, I thought those were the lines you were supposed to cut on. I still do that.
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have quite a few food rules.

1) I don't like plates or forks. These days I will use a (small) plate for sandwiches or toast, but rarely anything else. I hate dinner plates and will use them once in a blue moon. I've gotten to a place where I won't complain if I'm at a restaurant or friend's house (actually I never complained...I just found it really hard to eat) but at home I always use a bowl (one of two sizes) with a long-handled, small-bowled ice cream sundae spoon. And I get annoyed if someone tries to make me use the wrong spoon.

2) If food is served beside something (eg potatoes and roast chicken) it goes in a shallow pasta bowl. Ditto for if it's served ON something (pasta with sauce, casserole on rice, stir-fry). If it's something loose that doesn't go on top of something, it goes in a soup bowl (soup, casserole to dunk bread in, etc). Getting casserole to dunk that's in a flat bowl or pasta in a soup bowl so the sauce doesn't spread makes me feel icky. Oatmeal is the only exception to the "runny" rule; I like it in a flat bowl so the milk and sugar spreads and I don't have to keep adding it.

3) When baking, I follow recipes like they're chemistry experiments. When cooking a main course, I chuck things in by instinct.

4) Garlic goes in all stir-fries but never ever EVER in casseroles.

5) I'm very fussy about herbs, and listing all the rules would have us here until 2014.

6) Coffee needs real cream instead of milk. This is greeted with looks of horror from fellow dieters, even though I did the math and using double cream adds about 800 calories A YEAR. I don't drink a lot of coffee.

7) Food should be either cold or just on the point of burning my mouth. Warm food makes me nauseous. My mom eats all her food warm. Eulgh.

8) Nearly everything requires coarse-ground black pepper. I hate the fine stuff that goes up your nose.

9) Dessert usually gets eaten first, or I get insomnia. (We don't actually eat a lot of dessert, though. I don't have much of a sweet tooth. Although I had half of a divine piece of lemon meringue pie today...I don't think I've had that for about fifteen years.)

10) I have a ton of food allergies - I swear I'm allergic to about 80% of the world - so the actual foods I eat, rather than HOW I eat, all revolve around these.

Ten seems like a good place to stop, although I could probably go on. Then there are things like storing coffee in the freezer, which are just good sense. :) Docs when I was younger called these "autistic tendencies"...I just think I like things the way I like them. :p

EDIT: The funny thing is, I still think a lot of my quirks are "normal". Like, why would anyone serve soup in a pasta bowl, when it'll just get cold and slop over the sides? Why would anyone serve pasta in a soup bowl when it leaves a huge load of pasta underneath with no sauce on, unless you stir it around? I guess some people just don't care or notice. I dunno, I find English people don't seem to make a big deal about food. I was raised Mediterranean, where we make a big production, mostly about the food but also wine, presentation on nice dishes, flowers on the table, good music in the background, lots of talk, lots of time set aside to eat. And now I'm immersed in Japanese studies, and things are quite similar. I guess I'm just someone who likes everything to be a special occasion that fills you with joy.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    When eating mac and cheese, I like to eat four elbows at once be slipping one onto each tong of the fork.
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    Not exactly a strange eating habit but when I shop for food and I'm buying produce I always buy things in odd numbers unless it's a pair. (5 apples, 7 bananas etc.) My twin sister does the same thing, but even numbers unless it's only 1.

I do this, too! I stick to even numbers. I wonder why we do it?
  • skintimate32
    Options
    My brothers have always thought I was weird for doing this...

If I have meat, mashed potatoes, and a vegetable. I will combine the potatoes and veggies together. Then, I put a piece of the meat on my fork and dip it into my potato/veggies mixture.

OR, I'll just combine that whole sha-bang and eat it.

I ALWAYS DO THIS!
  • Gabbee140
    Gabbee140 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat ice. I can go through a 5 lb bag in a couple of days. I drive everyone in earshot crazy.
  • maxell91
    Options
    The only strange habit I have is that I eat extremely fast. I'll eat a big heavy dinner plate in under two minutes and sometimes I'll even eat standing up even if I'm not in a rush or anything.
  • innerbetty
    innerbetty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I have eggs and toast I have to eat the egg whites first then dip the toast in the yolk until there is one square roughly the size of the remaining yolk and put the rest of the egg on it. I didn't think it was weird until a friend asked me what I was doing one morning at breakfast.
    Also chocolate bars like Kit Kat or Coffee Crisp I eat the chocolate first then the layers in an attempt to keep the bubbly part for last.
    Any sort of munchie mix I eat the pretzels first and then the things I don't really care for then the parts I really like last.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I dont know why but i eat the chocolate off the outside of a candy bar first. I think it started when i was a kid.