If a bear was chasing you, how far could you run?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I could run from the bear for the rest of my life...however, I don't think that would be a long time in this scenario.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUYS states: bears are very fast and agile creatures. They will out run you. I wouldn't recommend running from a bear. You should act dead. If you do run make sure you run up a tree for safety.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    It cracks me up that I get up every 3 or 4 days and find that this is still going. :laugh:
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Silly question, but I am being partially serious! :smile:

I am training for my first full marathon on April 27th. As far as my lungs and cardio capacity go, I feel like I could run all day. My legs are what bring me down. In addition to running (obviously) I want to strengthen them significantly between now and then so they will carry me the full 26.2 miles.

When I complain to my husband about wanting to stop or struggling with my runs...he says "If you feel like stopping, pretend like a bear is chasing you!".

Lol.

So bear thing aside, the first thing I thought about when I read this is - are you fueling your runs? If you're running for more than an hour, your glycogen is nearly gone and you'll be hurting. You shouldn't be up at the 20 mile bonk yet in a beginner regimen, so your legs should be squarely under you. Try eating something small, ~100 calories of carbs, in the second hour if you're there yet. If you're not even running for a full hour, make sure you eat a snack with carbs in it 30 minutes or so before your run (a banana is perfect). If you can run 3 miles, your legs are "strong enough" to carry you - after that it's training the endurance, which, I'm sorry, but weight training and squatting won't do diddly for.

I used to be a hard-core "deprivation training" gal - never ate on or before runs. I played around with it and found what works for me (goldfish and swedish fish during, bananas and yogurt before) and I am never going back (intentionally - I do forget sometimes). The difference can be "WOW I love life!" or "dear god not another 10" at 16 miles.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUYS states: bears are very fast and agile creatures. They will out run you. I wouldn't recommend running from a bear. You should act dead. If you do run make sure you run up a tree for safety.

playing dead may not be an option: from kids in the hall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLSiU-qSOe4