If a bear was chasing you, how far could you run?

Options

Replies

• Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Lol, maybe 15 ft. There's no way I could outrun a bear.
    Course if there's someone with me, I would only have to run faster than them. That's not how I roll, though, I would try to distract the bear so my friend could get out of there.

And really, if a bear attacks you, you're supposed to defend yourself. If it's a momma bear, though, you're toasters.

I thought you were supposed to play dead for a day attack (which is usually a defensive attack) and fight back if it's a night attack (which is usually a predatory attack).

Now I'm all confused. I hope I never need to know either way.

Edit: And if a bear ever does charge me, I hope I'm well-armed. No assault rifle ban, please.
    I thought so too, until I moved to bear country, Everyone out here says you're supposed to fight back, but ONLY if the bear actually attacks you, otherwise move away slowly and quietly, so as not to agitate it,
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Not far enough. It is actually a goal of mine to be able to run for long periods of time.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I sometimes pretend zombies are chasing me on the treadmill so I run faster. hahaha #TrueStory

I think I could run a long time if it was necessary. I'm guessing at least 10 miles.

The thing is, I mean, at first Id be scared, but when it comes to the fight or flight response I have always been a fighter. I would probably look for a branch or something and poke it in the eye. hahahaha
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'd only have to run 1 step farther than the other person I'm with.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have trouble running on flat ground due to a tendency to hyperextend my right knee.

BUT

If the bear wants to chase me up stairs - I like my chances.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    it's not how far it's how fast you can run!! It doesn't matter if you can run an ultra marathon if the bear catches you in the first 50 yards
  • iggychic
    Options
    We had a friend visit a hotel in alaska we were looking at buying. During the inspection he opened the back room door and inside was the current resident, who had been a bit of a problem for some time (they thought he was out). There he was...sleeping like a big fat white lamb...a huge polar bear. I can tell you the response as was related to me...

Crap pants, Close door quietly as bear opens one eye, run to truck screaming like a girl for the gun you should have taken with you on the inspection :)

The bear chose to move out as he didn't like the noise...or probably the smell of a scared chitless white guy with crapped pants :p
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I would be carrying, so question is irrelevant...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I would be carrying, so question is irrelevant...

If you miss, you're screwed.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Well, considering that bears can run up to 40 mph and Usain Bolt can run 27 mph fastest then I will probably could run 10 - 50 meters at most, depending from distance bear started to chase me... then bear would catch me and ate me. :grumble:
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Me: "Bang - bang - bang!"

Warden inspecting the call-in for a dead bear: "Nice grouping!"

Me: "Thanks! Can I keep the meat and pelt if I give you the skull?"

LOL.
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Sadly, playing dead would be my best option. :(
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I woukd mesmerize the bear with a Zumba routine.
  • smiley13000
    smiley13000 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I COULD go12 miles... Hopefully the bear would give after 1 mile though...lol.
    The farthest I've run was 12.2 miles. I did it on 12-12-12. Lol.
  • cwettstain
    cwettstain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    As a bear, I'm hurt by all the negativity here... I mean, what if I had just snacked on some wicked awesome berries or some salmon?? I wouldn't even dream of chasing any of you with a full belly. I'd much rather have a chat over some tea. Some people are just going to be anti-social, I guess...

Love,
    An actual bear.
  • brittknight828
    Options
    Good for you! That is so awesome you're doing a marathon!! I did my first two 5ks this year, and I ran the entire way for one (the first one) of them. I could probably jog for around 40 minutes or maybe a little less now that I've been running less often. Note that I said 'jog.' If a bear were chasing me, I'd want to go as fast as possible. But when you go as fast as possible, you get tired more quickly, especially if you aren't used to it. That's the problem a lot of people have with their first 5ks, or races in general- they want to go fast! They want to keep up with everyone else, not what their body is telling them to do. So....long story short, I could probably run my fastest for maybe 5 minutes before playing dead...or becoming dead. ;) Good luck with your run!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    This is not a silly question, but just so everyone knows, don't run. I live in bear country and this is a big issue for hikers. Don't run.

What do you suggest? I know if a black bear would come running towards me I would deploy my self defense mechanism...****ting my pants

Face the bear. Look big. Back away slowly. Don't make eye contact. Don't make noise or fast aggressive motions. If a bear charges you, it may just knock you down to show it's stronger and leave you alone. It may scratch you up a bit and leave you alone. Stay down for a bit to see if it backs off. If it starts mauling you and doesn't stop, then you fight for your life. Punch in the nose, gouge at the eyes, etc.
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    Sadly I'd be a goner...
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My knees start hurting between mile 12 and mile 15. I don't go further than than. I think the bear would catch me at that point. I have a trick for when my legs get tired: switch strides. Learn to run with a toe strike, a heal strike, and a mid-foot strike. You can switch strides when your legs start to fatigue and you'll notice an immediate freshness because different strides used your muscles differently.

That actually sounds cool. No serious damage or anything to the muscle? I've just started running this past month and I wonder if this would work for my leg fatigue.

If you just started running, you are probably doing a mid foot strike or a heel strike naturally. Just learn one other strike at a time, like a toe strike. Practice only running with that stride for a few weeks, until you can do it without thinking about it, then you can switch them up. I sort of made up this running strategy so I can't really say that it's recommended or optimal. I just know it's worked for me.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I run 39.3 miles next weekend but not faster than a bear!