The best type of cereal for weight loss

Options

Replies

• LoriIAM
    LoriIAM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    How about oatmeal since everything else is processed/full of sugar/full of junk you don't need.
    Excellent Idea. That 's what I just had for breakfast, with milk and apple, nuked until apple is soft. I use 30 second bursts. Now I'm full and warm and ready to start my day! I find that the less processed food is more filling, less expensive, and a lot less hassle. Enjoy!
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal crisp is SO delicious, but I wouldn't consider it any healthier than kids sugary cereals, except for the fact that the grains are slightly less processed (but none the less, still processed). It has 14g of sugar per cup. Lucky charms has 13g per cup. The oatmeal crisp also contains corn syrup and canola oil.. so while it seems healthier and the grains a little less refined, it still isn't that great nutritionally speaking. I was so sad when I learned this early in my weight loss journey. The vanilla almond one is my favorite! I think I would personally still eat it once in a while, but wouldn't consider it a healthy meal.

Thanks for ruining my day!!! lol

That sucks, but I'm mostly in the "if it fits your macros" camp so I'm still gonna continue eating it occasionally. To be honest, cereal in general doens't seem to be good for dieting down so might as well have a good tasting one. :p

haha, I'm sorry. :P Yeah, I have the same view on cereal. I don't really think it's healthy, so when I do cave and have some, I might as well pick one that I really like since it isn't often. I usually treat it as a cheat meal.. and I can't eat just a 3/4 cup! haha. For cheat meals, I just fit it into my macros, and the majority of the time try to go for highest nutrition. It's impossible to be perfect right?
  • brandicehatcher
    Options
    Whole grain, high n fiber, special K
  • osmith1999
    osmith1999 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    From your list the best cereal is multi-grain cheerios. The best cereal not on your list is probably Kashi-go lean which comes in some varieties. That being said, cereal is not good for weight loss. It's better to eat fruit for breakfast. Try one cup of the multigrain cereal along with fruit (apple, banana, melon etc.). Fruit is low calorie and provides many micro nutrients and anti carcinogens.
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal! I am not a big fan of the instant Quaker Oats kind, but I do really love Oat Revolution brand.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Which of these cereals would be better for me to eat? I would like to have a couple of options because I will get sick of the cereal after a while. If you have some suggestions for me to try as well, I am open to that.

Eat the one you like the best, then the one you like second best, etc. Make a list and continue to rotate it so you don't get bored. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    THIS!
    If you are really serious about your nutrution, you should not eat cereal. If you read the labels, even the "healthy" cereal have too many sugars and carbs. You should eat oatmeal instead, unless you are on low carb diet

If you are really serious about nutrition, and you enjoy the taste of cereal, then you should make it fit your macros by eating slightly less grains than normal, thereby making room for cereal. Grains and cereals are a nutritious part of a an overall healthy diet. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If we lock all the paleo and vegan zealots in a room will they cancel each other out? Or will they explode sorta like matter and anti-matter?

Just be sure to give them weapons! :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Peanut butter cheerios, raisin bran and total raisin bran

Peanut butter cheerios??? Wherever you live, I'm moving there!

No kidding! When did this happen, and why wasn't I informed? Can it be imported?

All this time, I was thinking Honey Nut Cheerios was the best Cheerios had to offer, now comes Peanut Butter Cheerios. I found the product page using Google (http://www.cheerios.com/Products/Multi-Grain-Cheerios-Peanut-Butter) but where is the ad campaign? What happened to advertising these things? :explode:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    No you don't -absolutely- need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. I maintain my weight, hardly exercise, and I eat 3300-4000 calories a day. Why don't I lose weight.? Cause I eat 600g of carbs a day and over 100 grams of fiber. Moderate protein (under 90g) and only 4% of the 80g of fat I take in is saturated.

I am not trying to argue with you, I sometimes like to elaborate & explain as much as I can when the opportunity arises. We are all here to help others, and help ourselves. Take care, Lass :)

By DEFINITION, if you are losing weight you are in a calorie deficit. If you are gaining weight, then you are in a calorie surplus. The converse of those statements is also true.

If you are eating 3300-4000 calories and not changing your weight, then you are burning 3300-4000 calories.

To bring it back on topic to cereal, I think what you eat has a huge effect on how you burn. I'm convinced that different people burn different macronutrients in different ways. I'm happy for you that you have found your way.

For me, IF I'm going to eat cereal, I will do it in the evening. If I do cereal in the morning, I usually end feeling hungrier all day long.

Also, IF I'm gonna eat cereal, I'm gonna go for something I really like and to heck with the protein & fiber - when I really care about that stuff, I avoid cereal altogether.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter cheerios, raisin bran and total raisin bran

Peanut butter cheerios??? Wherever you live, I'm moving there!

No kidding! When did this happen, and why wasn't I informed? Can it be imported?

All this time, I was thinking Honey Nut Cheerios was the best Cheerios had to offer, now comes Peanut Butter Cheerios. I found the product page using Google (http://www.cheerios.com/Products/Multi-Grain-Cheerios-Peanut-Butter) but where is the ad campaign? What happened to advertising these things? :explode:

I just found out about these a little over a week ago from a MFP friend's food diary. I am kind of peeved I didn't know about these sooner....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If we lock all the paleo and vegan zealots in a room will they cancel each other out? Or will they explode sorta like matter and anti-matter?

Just be sure to give them weapons! :wink:

And make sure someone is streaming it....
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal! I am not a big fan of the instant Quaker Oats kind, but I do really love Oat Revolution brand.

Oat revolution is my new favorite! Cheaper, better ingredients, lower calories, what's not to love?

Although I am also a HUGE fan of overnight refrigerator oats. OM nom nom!
  • crisrg
    crisrg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like plain ole corn flakes with a small bannana
  • CrimsonBrons
    Options
    I know this seems like a super-simple response, but my favorite is the Kashi Go Lean or the Kashi Go Lean Crunch. Both provide a very high protein content, fiber content, and a few grams of fat to keep you full and meet the needs of the morning. A lot of the 'low calorie' cereals are just full of carbs and sugar, so they leave you wanting more. Adding the 12g of protein per cup can really make the difference in the morning. Pair it with half of a banana or a few berries, and you've got a great breakfast that will keep you full until lunch.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I like wheat and corn Chex.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Special K Protein tends to fit my macros the best.
  • LaurenRosePR
    LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Special K (the regular one)!
  • orlandomichael
    Options
    If you want to know what is one of the best cereals for you, I would go with Ezekiel 4:9. They have a few versions of bread and cereal. they are expensive but the bread and the cereal need to be kept refrigerated because they literally have no preservatives and they are very heavy because, (at least for the bread) they have no yeast.

Like others have said though, I would eat it in limited portions.

http://www.foodforlife.com/product/cereals/ezekiel-49-almond-sprouted-whole-grain-cereal
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    From a pure nutrition standpoint, Kashi original go lean is amazing. High fiber and protein. It keeps me full a really long time. Doesn't taste amazing, but I put in a little dark chocolate/almond and diced apples and that helps the taste without ruining the nutrition of it.

The other Kashi varieties are still pretty good from a nutrional standpoint and taste better: I like the honey almond flax clusters.

^ this