The best type of cereal for weight loss

Options
1234568»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If we lock all the paleo and vegan zealots in a room will they cancel each other out? Or will they explode sorta like matter and anti-matter?

Just be sure to give them weapons! :wink:

And make sure someone is streaming it....

Yes! Most definitely!
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    OATS!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'm a really picky eater and I have a hard time finding good foods for me to eat. I've been branching out and trying new cereal and have discovered that I do like a lot more than I used to. I'm just curious which cereals are the best for losing weight fast.

I have tried and liked:
    Rice Krispy (My room mate bought several boxes of these so she could make rice krispie treats for Christmas but ran out of time so now I'm eating it for breakfast)
    Multigrain cheerios
    honey-nut cheerios
    Corn Checks
    Rice Checks (I tried this one a long time ago and I think I liked it....)
    Berry Kix (I don't really like the regular kix but I put this in here just for comparison sake. Where I live, this cereal is hard to find.)

Which of these cereals would be better for me to eat? I would like to have a couple of options because I will get sick of the cereal after a while. If you have some suggestions for me to try as well, I am open to that.

Thank you!

Whichever is wholegrain and contains least added sugar.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    I don't know about you, but the air-puffed stuff like Rice Crispies and Chex just leave me starving again an hour later. I'd go with the most filling, but mix it up once in awhile so you don't get into a diet rut. As long as your portions area reasonable, it should be fine.

My personal favorites for keeping me full in small amounts are the shredded mini-wheats and Quaker weight-loss oatmeal in brown sugar or banana flavors. The quaker especially helps, on cold days, because the warmth and the extra boost of fiber in there keep the hunger pangs away for hours on end.
  • ThisKittyRawrs
    Options
    Definately Kashi Go lean!, My favorite is blueberry, but if you can switch to soymilk like Silk or Light Silk, then its a lot less calories and you might find you don't have to change cereal to cut calories. My favorite silk is vanilla or very vanilla, once you taste how fresh and yummy it is you will be surprised.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Cereal doesn't have staying power for me, I'm usually starving soon after eating. I'd look for something low in sugar, high in protein and fiber.

Agreed, although I'm reactive hypoglycemic. I eat a bowl of cereal, and I'm shaking an hour or two later. I find higher protein and fat breakfasts are doing me much better. More satiating and I'm just not as crazy afterwards.
  • Sabine321
    Sabine321 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Whatever cereal you like and fills you for a few hours. I eat Kashi go lean - love it. I also like multi grain cheerios and Quaker oatmeal squares.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I put together some instant oat meal. I use whole oats, 3/4 cup. 2 tbls coffee creamer, 1 tbls brown sugar (alternatives are available) and this gives you extra fiber and nutrients. I put in 3-4 tbls raw slivered almonds. I put all this in a snack sized zip lock bag. then when I am ready to eat it, i dump it in a coffee cup, add water to desire, and micro wav.

I also love to snack on what i call dog food, because it looks like it. but is Kelloggs Cracklin oat bran. It has a cinnamon taste, I eat it 1/2 at a time raw for a snack.

Last but not least is: Malto Meal Spooners, yes those shredded wheat squares with sugar on one side. I eat 3/4 a cup with 1/2 milk. it fits in my daily goal. and is filling.

Good luck.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Cereal doesn't have staying power for me, I'm usually starving soon after eating. I'd look for something low in sugar, high in protein and fiber.

Agreed, although I'm reactive hypoglycemic. I eat a bowl of cereal, and I'm shaking an hour or two later. I find higher protein and fat breakfasts are doing me much better. More satiating and I'm just not as crazy afterwards.

I tend to eat 5 - 6 meals a day. So my meals are usually around 250-300 calories. I eat alot of raw veggies and I love butternut squash, with a touch of splenda and pumpkin spice. mmmm
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    old fashioned quaker oatmeal, (not the instant) I just add some honey. its great and really warms you up on these cold days on the east coast ;)
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Regular instant (or slow cook) with a TBSP of peanutbutter or diced fruit or nuts. It's quick to prepare in the microwave and will keep you feeling full for a long time. Experiment with the amount of water you prefer. I like mine thick but some like it thin or with milk instead of water. 100 calories per instant pack when prepared with water and the peanutbutter adds another 90 calories. I like to keep my breakfast simple and don't mind eating the same thing most mornings. I might have eggs or something different on a weekend day.

If you prefer the cold cereal, then multi-grain Cheerios.
  • traceyc712
    traceyc712 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love Fiber One 80 Honey Squares on Saturday morning with Silk unsweetened almond milk (30 calories per cup and 1 gram of fiber). 3/4 cup of the cereal is 80 calories and 10 grams of fiber (10 dietary, 3 soluble, 7 insoluble) and 3 grams of sugar. I alternate between sprinkling cinnamon or nutmeg on it. Very good and it *usually* holds me over until lunch.
  • msjessc
    msjessc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch and Kashi Honey Almond Flax and have apiece of fruit with it right now oranges. As much as I would love to have eggs for breakfast it isn't possible for me. I am allergic to every part of the egg and the allergist has said it could get worse so I don't attempt them.
  • x_Samtastic
    x_Samtastic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awkward....after seeing the direction this thread is going in, I'd like to stick with the flow and change my above answer to this..

Don't eat cereal EVER. If someone you know is eating cereal......punch them in the throat! A better breakfast alternative is to sit in the middle of your kitchen floor, sipping raw eggs out of the shells while reading Wheat Belly and quietly weeping. Enjoy!

This is hilarious! :laugh:
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing to eat for breakfast is LUNCH.
    I have never been that big of a breakfast foods fan and most are just filled with added sugar that just leave me hungry.

So I have just been eating leftovers from the fridge.
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Look up Quaker oat's 'oat pillows' if you want cereal

But oatmeal all the way for tasty filling time! ;)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Fiber one. The nutty clusters are quite tastey.

Also Special K Protein cereal.

yeah fiber and protein is your best bet in a good breakfast.