how overrated is/was the SEC this season?

Options

Replies

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I think it'll be an awesome game, but I'm hoping Bama pulls out the win. And No, the SEC is not overrated. ;-) Look at Alabama's stats and then look at Ohio's stats. Even if Ohio is 12-0, the right teams are playing for the National Champ title.

Ohio STATE, not Ohio. That's like saying Michigan State and Michigan are the same school. Well, not entirely because Ohio is a MAC conference school but yes. :D

ETA:
    OSU = Ohio State, or tOSU for THE Ohio State University. Not OU which is Ohio University (among others, I see you Oklahoma fans!)

I'm really neutral about tOSU as my alliance goes to Michigan State when it comes to the Big Ten (fiance is a fourth-generation graduate), but for some reason anything like that gets under my skin haha
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I think it'll be an awesome game, but I'm hoping Bama pulls out the win. And No, the SEC is not overrated. ;-) Look at Alabama's stats and then look at Ohio's stats. Even if Ohio is 12-0, the right teams are playing for the National Champ title.

Ohio STATE, not Ohio. That's like saying Michigan State and Michigan are the same school. Well, not entirely because Ohio is a MAC conference school but yes. :D

ETA:
    OSU = Ohio State, or tOSU for THE Ohio State University. Not OU which is Ohio University (among others, I see you Oklahoma fans!)

I'm really neutral about tOSU as my alliance goes to Michigan State when it comes to the Big Ten (fiance is a fourth-generation graduate), but for some reason anything like that gets under my skin haha

OSU it is.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    How about that OVERRATED SEC now?
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    ^ this.

Roll Tide!! Bama fan for life!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

I don't believe Bama is the entire SEC. ;)
    As much as other SEC fans may forget.
  • harvo
    Options

I don't believe Bama is the entire SEC. ;)
    As much as other SEC fans may forget.

I agree with you totally BUT with the way the top 2 or 3 teams in the SEC dominating the way they do it gives the impression that they are dominant and it is hard to disagree that the top 2 maybe 3 teams are heads and shoulders above most teams.

Also, think about this, had Buckeyes been eligible who woud they have played? the assumption would be Notre Dame which means the SEC would not have even been represented and after seeing the game would have been a travesty!

NOTE: I am not a fan of the SEC
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Pride goeth before the fall.... Keep hyping yourselves up there... it won't last long.
  • oregonzoo
    Options
    [/quote]

I agree with you totally BUT with the way the top 2 or 3 teams in the SEC dominating the way they do it gives the impression that they are dominant and it is hard to disagree that the top 2 maybe 3 teams are heads and shoulders above most teams.

Also, think about this, had Buckeyes been eligible who woud they have played? the assumption would be Notre Dame which means the SEC would not have even been represented and after seeing the game would have been a travesty!

NOTE: I am not a fan of the SEC
    [/quote]
    Which is why I'm excited for a play off. I would have LOVED to have seen who would have been matched up with Bama, and how much better of a game it would have been.
    And as far as the travesty that would have occured if tOSU was eligible..

The simple resolution to that would have been Bama not losing during the season. :)
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    The SEC is without a doubt the best conference in college football. It hasn't always been. It won't always be. But it is right now, and has been for the past several seasons. Fans of other teams should focus more on why their conferences aren't as good. Simple petty jealousy, and attempting to dispute that which is factually indisputable isn't serving their cause very well.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    SEC as a whole, yes. Top schools in SEC, no. Georgia beat my Cornhuskers, even though we ran on em like they were a Sun Belt team.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

Well, this seems like an appropriate time to indicate that the number 3 team in the nation, Florida, lost to Louisville. So, given that, I would disagree that the top 2 or three teams are "head and shoulders" above most teams.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I was like, "WTF? The Securities Exchange Commission has seasons?" :-D
  • wadedawg
    Options
    SEC as a whole, yes. Top schools in SEC, no. Georgia beat my Cornhuskers, even though we ran on em like they were a Sun Belt team.

Georgia beat you by 14, and should have by all rights beaten you by 21. Your last 2 games you gave up 115 points lol. You ran around some, and still got waxed. I don't understand the crap talking Nebraska fans and players have engaged in following getting pounded, but that's up to y'all. Nebraska would have in all likelihood been a 3 or 4 loss team in SEC play.
  • oregonzoo
    Options

Georgia beat you by 14, and should have by all rights beaten you by 21. Your last 2 games you gave up 115 points lol. You ran around some, and still got waxed. I don't understand the crap talking Nebraska fans and players have engaged in following getting pounded, but that's up to y'all. Nebraska would have in all likelihood been a 3 or 4 loss team in SEC play.
    maybe they would have. But even the 3,4,5,6 loss SEC teams seem to ride the coats and claim dominance. So would it really have been that bad? :P
  • wadedawg
    Options
    maybe they would have. But even the 3,4,5,6 loss SEC teams seem to ride the coats and claim dominance. So would it really have been that bad? :P

There isn't a 3 or 4 loss SEC team that I have heard claiming any kind of dominance. They claim to play in the toughest conference, and occasionally claim they would have fewer losses in other conferences. My claim about Nebraska is a perfect example of that argument in fact.
  • harvo
    Options

Well, this seems like an appropriate time to indicate that the number 3 team in the nation, Florida, lost to Louisville. So, given that, I would disagree that the top 2 or three teams are "head and shoulders" above most teams.

That #3 team was HIGHLY overranked given the fact that they were #114, I believe, in total offense for the season. Reason they get that rank, because they travel well and sell tickets and that is what the NCAA wants/needs. How can that team be ranked in front of a team that actually went into Alabama and totally controlled them....$$$$$$$$
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options

There isn't a 3 or 4 loss SEC team that I have heard claiming any kind of dominance. They claim to play in the toughest conference, and occasionally claim they would have fewer losses in other conferences. My claim about Nebraska is a perfect example of that argument in fact.

I only talk crap because a 5-loss Wisconsin beat us by 40, and you guys, who should have been playing for the title(after how you played against 'bama) needed the usual choke artist Taylor Martinez to give you guys the game in the 4th quarter. I wouldn't have been suprised if you would have won by 21. But the fact that you only played as well for 3 quarters against us as a 3,4,5 loss Big Ten team, leaves the door wide open.
  • wadedawg
    Options

I only talk crap because a 5-loss Wisconsin beat us by 40, and you guys, who should have been playing for the title(after how you played against 'bama) needed the usual choke artist Taylor Martinez to give you guys the game in the 4th quarter. I wouldn't have been suprised if you would have won by 21. But the fact that you only played as well for 3 quarters against us as a 3,4,5 loss Big Ten team, leaves the door wide open.
    So because your team played like crap you talk crap. I get it...

Nebraska laid a turd and got beat by 40. We played like crap and beat you by 14. See the difference?
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

That #3 team was HIGHLY overranked given the fact that they were #114, I believe, in total offense for the season. Reason they get that rank, because they travel well and sell tickets and that is what the NCAA wants/needs. How can that team be ranked in front of a team that actually went into Alabama and totally controlled them....$$$$$$$$

that's exactly what i'm saying. the number 2 team in the SEC (according to polls, i agree that Georgia should have been in that spot) is overrated and not head and shoulders above most teams.
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    In the last 20 years an SEC team has won the national championship 11 times. Alabama has 4, Florida 3, and LSU 2. The rest of the conference really hasn't won anything and just rides the big boys' jock. It cracks me up to see Georgia, USCe, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Ole Miss fans chanting SEC-SEC-SEC!

UGA vs. Florida (Florida is 18-5 since 1990)
    UGA vs. Alabama (Bama 5-3 in last 8 meetings and 37-25-4 all-time)
    UGA vs. LSU (LSU is 4-3 in last 7 meetings and 16-12-1 all-time)

USCe vs. Florida (USCe has only won 3 times since 1964. UF is 24-6-3 all-time)
    USCe vs. Alabama (Bama 11-4 all-time)
    USCe vs. LSU (LSU 17-2-1 all-time. USCe won in 1994 and 1930)

Ark vs Florida (Florida is 8-1 all time. 8-0 since Arkansas has been in SEC)
    Ark vs Alabama (Bama is 15-8 all-time)
    Ark vs LSU (LSU is 36-20-2 all-time)

Miss vs Alabama (Record: 9-49-2)
    Miss vs Auburn (Record: 10-27)
    Miss vs LSU (Record: 39-58-4)

Tenn vs Florida (Record: 19-23-0)
    Tenn vs Alabama (Record: 38-50-7)
    Tenn vs LSU (Record: 20-9-3 although LSU has won 6 of last 8 since 2000)

Kentucky vs Florida (Record: 17-46-0)
    Kentucky vs Alabama (Record: 2-35-1)
    Kentucky vs LSU (Record: 16-39-1)

ESPN, CBS, and the BCS will do everything in their power to help maintain the "mystique" of the conference because they have the largest (and most loyal) fan bases in the country. That translates into $$$ for them and really nothing else.