Tight Lacing/ Waist Training/ Corseting

Replies

• PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,670 Member
    No, I am correct. The pictures are from the 30's and depict a girdle, not a corset. I've gone to school for this, I've done my research. I actually had a very popular website on the history of corsets long before wikipedia was around.

Edited out the photo which doesn't really seem to belong.

They have a school for this? :huh:

Fashion Design, Women's History, Fashion History, 19th Century History, Costume Design

^^^all legitimate majors
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member

Tight-Lacing-Corset_zpsb4c4e244.jpg

Photoshopping FTW.

FYI- Dita von Teese is not photoshopped in that picture. She has a naturally very small waist. She's a strip tease performer.

937652-dita-von-teese.jpg

That's her minus corset etc unless she's wearing one under which I don't know. But googler her up you'll see plenty bare belly ones she has a natural hour glass figure and small waist. The corset she's wearing in the other pic just enhances it more so.
  • I started training last January and reached a 4" reduction in corset, it's one of my absolute passions and when I've lost a tad more weight I'll kick up my collection again, unfortunately I sold my pieces on because they were too big, but now my friends have fabulous corsets :P x
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Obviously this is something we all feel strongly about (if we care at all).

I seriously doubt that any comment was made to be mean-spirited, but some jokes are taken the wrong way.

No harm, no foul!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    1. I have no interest in it.
    2. I think it's pretty. :)
    3. Unless it's extreme. The extreme stuff just looks weird.
    4. That's just my personal opinion.

Man how I wish I could bullet those points.

Ah, and I'm just here for the pretty pictures. :D
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    I love my corsets. Sadly, I only have two that still fit, but when I was in my old custom made Edwardian, I could tighten up to 6 inches off. Great for your posture, wonderful back support. As for breathing, you get used to it. And then, you have the bodice-gasm when it comes off and you can draw those deep, wonderful breaths...

Bodice-gasm FTW! :laugh:

While I don't do corset training, I *do* wear them for Ren faire and cosplay events. I LOVE all of my corsets and bodices, but while they give me a nice shape I wouldn't say they make my waist look ridiculously small:

2012-02-18_15-29-04_893_zps2d3e3135.jpg

A well-made and properly fitted corset won't be uncomfortable or prevent you from breathing... it should feel more like a tight hug than a straightjacket.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,670 Member

That costume is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just, all of it, awesome.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Either way, anybody who is interested in body modification knows and should expect people who dislike what they're doing. It's just a matter of opinion.

You will always have the people calling you "disgusting", referring to plugs as gauges, saying scarification means a person must be suicidal.. etc. This is clearly no different. Just got to laugh it off :tongue:
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    I love my corsets. Sadly, I only have two that still fit, but when I was in my old custom made Edwardian, I could tighten up to 6 inches off. Great for your posture, wonderful back support. As for breathing, you get used to it. And then, you have the bodice-gasm when it comes off and you can draw those deep, wonderful breaths...

While I don't do corset training, I *do* wear them for Ren faire and cosplay events. I LOVE all of my corsets and bodices, but while they give me a nice shape I wouldn't say they make my waist look ridiculously small:

A well-made and properly fitted corset won't be uncomfortable or prevent you from breathing... it should feel more like a tight hug than a straightjacket.

I just want to say I ADORE this costume!!

And as for my opinion on corsetting/lacing/ whatever. If it's what YOU want to do just do it. Don't let any one elses opinions stop you! I personally think it looks awesome andI can see the appeal in it.

Just make sure you know any potential risks costs etc and if it ever becomes painful or unbearable, stop for your own health.

Corsetting is as dangerous as really high heels. They can cause some damage, and some people may experience more pain than others in them.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    I'm confused...what exactly do you mean by "train"...as in getting more of an indent in your waist without the corset, or learning how to breathe???
  • hearthemelody
    I'm confused...what exactly do you mean by "train"...as in getting more of an indent in your waist without the corset, or learning how to breathe???

Well I will just jump in here...

I think it is a combination. I don't think that you will have a visible indent without a corset, but training means you can tighten it further than you used to be able too. And lungs are an important part of that!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member

when one wants to 'train' to wear a corset, they don't wiggle into one, cinch it up all the way, and off they go. That would be torture.

Usually, one will put on a corset, and cinch it part of the way, you learn to breathe since you are 'compressed'. The corset is worn for an hour or so, and then you take it off, you gradually add hours and slowly cinch it tighter and tighter.

Just like wearing 6" heels, a person who has worn flats their entire life shouldn't just go out and start wearing 6" right away, for an entire day. They have to work up to wearing those heels.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    sorry DP.
  • hearthemelody
    when one wants to 'train' to wear a corset, they don't wiggle into one, cinch it up all the way, and off they go. That would be torture.

Usually, one will put on a corset, and cinch it part of the way, you learn to breathe since you are 'compressed'. The corset is worn for an hour or so, and then you take it off, you gradually add hours and slowly cinch it tighter and tighter.

Just like wearing 6" heels, a person who has worn flats their entire life shouldn't just go out and start wearing 6" right away, for an entire day. They have to work up to wearing those heels.

This is a much better explanation than mine
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Obviously this is something we all feel strongly about (if we care at all).

I seriously doubt that any comment was made to be mean-spirited, but some jokes are taken the wrong way.

No harm, no foul!

I agree - don't think any of the comments were meant to be mean.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Sp_US_38_BA1x_zps7f4df66b.jpg

Hello MFP world! This topic is in the fun and games section but I'm sincerely curious about what y'all have to say. I love body modification, but outside of the more common piercing and tattoos, I love corset training (though I do it pretty darn recreationally, reducing my natural waist 3 inches or so). I'm considering getting more serious about it as I lose weight - working on a better hour glass figure and I slim down.
    Does anyone else out there tight lace or have thought about getting into it?

I know there is some controversy on the topic - as there is around a lot of body mod. and I'd love to hear your opinions too. There is some really interesting research out there about the effects it can have on your body - especially if you become an extremist.

And, if anyone is wondering, I don't do it to fit someone else's ideal body - but because I really love, adore, am floored by the way it makes me look. It makes me feel amazing! We're all here working for our ideal body's right?

Tight-Lacing-Corset_zpsb4c4e244.jpg

Photoshopping FTW.

Nope. She's really built that way. I've met her no a couple of occasions. Pre-stardom she was a teensy bit heavier, but she still had a tinier waist than most. That's what the corsets do.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member

That is a truly gorgeous outfit! :D I have a blouse like that with little excuse to wear it but for the rare steampunk event! Hmmm...
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member

I'd like to give you a tight hug...Irish, you are gorgeous!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member

I've never tried it. I'd probably like to try one on. This photo is adorable!!

I wouldn't personally do the extreme kind. I'm just not into body modification for me. I like my body the way it is. Also in the extreme kind it does push the organs down into the tummy and I'm not as into that look. Also, I am sure it would cause me issues for my dancing because of the restriction. Like many kinds of body modification, the very extreme kind does result in needing to wear the corsets at all times from what I have heard from the people that do it for a long time (on tv). But, Dita Von Teese is beautiful, and does not seem to have any of these issues I was mentioning. It is interesting and I can admire it, even if it's not necessarily for me.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    yay - first 100 replies post!!!!!