What's the worst thing said about your weight ?

Options

Replies

• brittrose33
    Options
    When one of my best guy friends was really, really, really (really, really, really) drunk he told me "You were hotter before you got fat." To be fair, I thought it was hilarious and no hard feelings. He's generally a stand up guy, and he did apologize. :tongue: We still joke about it.
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I was at a college football game and a little boy behind us asked his mom why I was so fat her answer was " because some peopke just don't know how to control what they put into their fat mouths and don't care ab out themselves" the kid btw was only about 6.
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You know what really irks me. It is a form of harassment which is totally socially acceptable. You can say anything you like to people who are even the slightest bit overweight. It is like you are dehumanized...that being said I reckon the same could be true of very slim people (skinny) because if you are on either end of the scale you are fair game for comments.

I so totally agree with this. It's like "fat" predudice is acceptable. It's not PC to mention skin color, race, sexuality, but so different for "fat/overweight" people.
  • EdelweissViola
    Options
    These make me sad. But, I am happy that everyone can find support here. You are all beautiful!

Once, I was told by a guy on a first date that I'd be a fox if I lost weight.
    I also was told once by a drunk guy that when he's drunk he "likes fat chicks."
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Options
    Hard topic to read but makes me feel less alone.

My childhood one was usually "you have such a pretty face, but ..."

I work in a delivery room. I've gotten the "when are you due?" question a few times from patients and/of families. Without being rude and risking my job, I just look innocent and say "due for what?" Then smile when they backpedal. One thing I've learned doing that job all these years is never ask a woman if she's pregnant unless you see the baby's head emerging from her body.

I've also worked in a few hospitals and my coworkers are just as bad. They'll talk about a patient being fat when I'm standing right there. This happens a lot. I'm never sure if they're being mean or just clueless. Maybe both. Yes, I'll say it's harder to keep heavier patients on the fetal monitor, but it's all part of the job.
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options

"My childhood one was usually "you have such a pretty face, but ..."

This is the story of my life! I remember starting to get heavy around 5th grad and through Jr High but then got active and dropped weight through then and HS because I was in sports. Although, I was always a little "thicker" than all my my tiny friends! But the one thing that always remained constant was "You have a pretty face"

Sorry you too have went through bad things. Its tough. :(
  • virgolee
    virgolee Posts: 9
    Options
    One of the worst things ever done to me was when I was going thru the drive thru at McDonalds and this lady that worked there turned to me and said honey when is your baby due? I rudely got my hamburger smiled at her and said about the same time yours is honey....
    Virgolee
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I've been heavier my whole life and in junior high...when my body was taking on a whole new shape and I was so awkward and uncomfortable with what was adding onto my already chubby body, and disgusting boy in my class said to me (very loudly, in front of a bunch of other kids) "Why do you have such a fat p***y?

In high school I was called Bird or Tweety, I dared to ask one day why. The kid told me it was because I have a fat torso with skinny legs.

Another time in high school a guy said that the only nice looking part of me was my boobs, but those were only big because I was so fat.

My husband is a minister and one year we took our youth group camping. We decided to play flag football with the teens, girls against guys. The girls were getting slaughtered, so I started getting extra aggressive. After one play where I caught the ball and bulldozed down the field , my husband called the game off, declaring the boys winners. He pulled me aside and told me is was embarrassed of me because my boobs and fat were flailing in the wind when I was running. I wasn't even as heavy then as I am now. I've never forgotten how bad that hurt. My husband apologized for it and has been more than accepting over the years with my increasing weight loss, but it's one of those things that's etched in my mind.
  • sillyjeepgirl
    Options
    My terrible ex husband, when he got mad would tell me that I was ugly and fat and lazy. And often would talk about how he hated me because of it. At the time I was doing insanity everyday while he slept in. I had lost 30lbs after having our son, and he had continued to gain weight. It was pretty terrible. It made me work harder, and eventually his abusive tendencies pushed me away and I left.

I've also had the "Oh, when are you due!?"
    And the "I can't date you because you're fat" and variations.

Before I left my last job, my former boss saw how much weight I had been loosing, and said that I was shrinking into nothing.

But I can agree that even really skinny people get bad comments thrown their way. A woman I worked with was probably a size 00 and she would get comments about how when she had her son she must have looked like an alien, that she should eat more, that she's too skinny etc.

I haven't had many negative comments about my weight recently, and have started to surround myself with people who are encouraging and positive. All of my good friends haven't seen me (in person) since I started my weight loss, and they are so proud of me when they've seen updated pictures and hear about how hard I'm working.

Regardless, keep up the good work everyone! :)
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    When I was in elementary school, on Valentine's Day, we exchanged those little Valentine cards with all the other kids in the class. Inevitably, I got every card that had a hippo, elephant, or cow on it. Even when I thinned out as I hit puberty, that still happened.

As an adult, my weight fluctuated a lot until I hit a high of 185. I was in a very unhappy marriage which I think really contributed to that. He had leeched every bit of self-esteem I ever had out of me. When I'd finally had enough after almost 20 years of marriage I told him it was over and wanted a divorce. The FIRST thing he threw at me was, "I never wanted you because you were were so fat and completely disgusting and now I'm going to go find a young hot wife." I know he thought that would hurt me, but by that point I'd already lost 50 pounds and just laughed and said, "well I might have been then, but I'm not NOW and I'm doing just fine in that department!" He was stunned into speechlessness! That was 7 years ago and he's not even come close to getting that young, hot wife!
  • sillyjeepgirl
    Options
    When I was in elementary school, on Valentine's Day, we exchanged those little Valentine cards with all the other kids in the class. Inevitably, I got every card that had a hippo, elephant, or cow on it. Even when I thinned out as I hit puberty, that still happened.

As an adult, my weight fluctuated a lot until I hit a high of 185. I was in a very unhappy marriage which I think really contributed to that. He had leeched every bit of self-esteem I ever had out of me. When I'd finally had enough after almost 20 years of marriage I told him it was over and wanted a divorce. The FIRST thing he threw at me was, "I never wanted you because you were were so fat and completely disgusting and now I'm going to go find a young hot wife." I know he thought that would hurt me, but by that point I'd already lost 50 pounds and just laughed and said, "well I might have been then, but I'm not NOW and I'm doing just fine in that department!" He was stunned into speechlessness! That was 7 years ago and he's not even come close to getting that young, hot wife!

All I have to say is good for you!

Congrats on your weight loss and divorce ;)
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the worst things said about my weight have been said BY me in my own head. :grumble:

I have to say this too. I say horrible things about myself.

If I have to pick something else it would be people telling me I cant do this. That I will always be this way.

These seem to sum me up I can batter myself quite well after 60 years,but I am workin on it.
    As others being asked "when are you due" by a hot guy I had a crush on.
    By my darling,BEST EVER husband of 37 years...in our 1st month of dating "he could never love me because I was overweight."....wrong he has been with me through fatter and thinner...and has NO recollectin of ever saying this...HE IS mortified he said it ( so was I he is such a sensitive person)......that stung for a good 20 years!
    My name is Gayle...so as a kid it was Gayle the Whale!
  • wildaaron
    wildaaron Posts: 163 Member
    Options

"My childhood one was usually "you have such a pretty face, but ..."

This is the story of my life! I remember starting to get heavy around 5th grad and through Jr High but then got active and dropped weight through then and HS because I was in sports. Although, I was always a little "thicker" than all my my tiny friends! But the one thing that always remained constant was "You have a pretty face"

Sorry you too have went through bad things. Its tough. :(

At least it's your whole face...I get "You have pretty eyes"
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My mother once told me it looked like I had a permanent inner tube attached to my waist.
  • valentinegirls
    valentinegirls Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Recently by a guy a was dating, trying to explain that the "pictures" on his computer were okay because he's a guy and he likes boobs. So later in the day during a drunken game of apples to apples he gives a definition of gravity -- when your t**ts were here and are now down here. I've lost almost 60 lbs so far and I can't wait to be at my goal weight, have reductiom surgery & a tummy tuck and "run" into him. Perhaps with a car or just in person :wink:

"Why do you think the lawn chair broke" -- at a summer bbq

"She's the one that her boobs will hit you first before she turns all the way around" -- in high school - by an ex boyfriend

"When are you due?" - Me: "I'm not pregnant, just fat"

So many others that I've lost count.

But, like others, the worst by far come out of my mouth and are in my head. I am my worst critic.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    That I didn't need a winter jacket because my blubber would keep me warm.

^^This!!
  • bkciddir
    bkciddir Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    At a past job, I was outside with my boss and a co-worker and I asked if I could squeeze between them and my boss said " YOU CAN'T SQUEEZE THROUGH, YOUR TOO BIG!" I was mortified to say the least!!!

Also, my mother constantly says that my life would be so much better if I was thin. She says I could have anything I wanted: a great job, a great man, marriage, ect....If I was just thin, I could HAVE IT ALL!!!
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    This ones kinda ****ed up..

When I was like 13 my brother told me I was so fat and ugly nobody would even want to rape me.

Yeah.
  • todosalamierda
    Options
    This ones kinda ****ed up..

When I was like 13 my brother told me I was so fat and ugly nobody would even want to rape me.

Yeah.

With all due respect, I think your brother was an a-hole for saying that. Mine had similar quotes when I had my extra pounds, like "you'd look better if u were skinnier, you look so white trash right now".

From a job mate:"Damn, all that pizza is doin' its job!" (while patting my bloated belly.

And after losing and reaching 116lbs: "****, you're skinny... I'm sure you're getting anorexic, cos you look like ****". Courtesy of 2 women from work.
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My childhood, teens, and early adulthood, I was one of those so called "skinny people." So I didn't suffer the name calling, or harassment like some on here. It wasn't until after my 3rd child in my 30's that I became obese. I can only recall one time where my drunk SIL call me a fat_ss. But I must say, reading this topic makes me very sad. Why are people so cruel?