i dont get it

Options
I assume, which i probably shouldnt, that everyone on here is committed to making their lifestyle more healthy and to lose weight that may or may not be needed to. but how can so many people still be eating things that are known to be poisonous. splenda,fast food, its all so bad for you. thats not even getting into the fluoride debate. the point is that people are willingly ingesting things they know to be bad in so many different ways but dont care or realize that this is probably one of the causes to their troubles to begin with. mini rant? yeah. idk someone try shedding a little bit of light because ive been trying to understand this and i just cant.

Replies

• BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Here it comes...
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    splenda is poisoness??
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    How about you worry about your own journey and others will worry about theirs.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key =].
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Not sure about splenda as there are way worse things, but it boggles my mind too.

As soon as I knew that cutting out fast food and reducing calories was the way to lose weight, I did it.

Yet there are those that continue to ingest mass quantities of this stuff, KNOWING what it does to them, and just don't care.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I assume, which i probably shouldnt, that everyone on here is committed to making their lifestyle more healthy and to lose weight that may or may not be needed to. but how can so many people still be eating things that are known to be poisonous. splenda,fast food, its all so bad for you. thats not even getting into the fluoride debate. the point is that people are willingly ingesting things they know to be bad in so many different ways but dont care or realize that this is probably one of the causes to their troubles to begin with. mini rant? yeah. idk someone try shedding a little bit of light because ive been trying to understand this and i just cant.

Not your diary, not your business.

The end.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Well, I think your and others interpretations as "bad" might be different. Splenda isn't bad, it isn't "natural" as it was derived from a natural source, but the science doesn't support your claim that Splenda is "bad". Plus, fast food isn't really that "bad" if you eat it in moderation, any more than a high fat diet is bad over a long period of time, but not bad from time to time...
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    How about you worry about your own journey and others will worry about theirs.

This is what I was thinking.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    More healthy =/= perfectly healthy. In a perfect world, all our food would be organic and pure and lovely, but the majority of us live in an imperfect reality where we make compromises every day to try to meet our nutritional needs while staying within a budget, cooperating with friends and family, meeting the demands of a busy schedule, etc. For many people, an all-or-nothing mentality is an invitation to failure: "Well, I had a Twinkie, so now everything is ruined and I might as well just eat a whole bucket of fried chicken." For a lot of folks, being able to be more healthy without expecting 100% perfection is the only way to make a lifestyle change that will stick.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Then why the diet coke yesterday in your diary?

I think any change made to the positive is great and drink my sweet n low tea with great relish. It's much better than the 2 to 3 soft drinks a day I used to drink.
  • peaceloveweedandveggies
    Options
    but its just crazy how people dont realize that its bad, but justify that its not as bad as something else there for its acceptable. if your not fully committed why even bother?
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Obesity is one the leading causes of death these days, from a multitude of illnesses. 2/3rds of Americans are overweight.

Who's gonna pay for that?
  • kannd86
    kannd86 Posts: 42
    Options
    I do feel bad, not specifically on this website, but in general, seeing people eat things that they think are healthy that are actually not. I feel less bad seeing people eating things that they KNOW is crap. It's willful ignorance. Eventually they'll figure it out, or not, but either way, it's not my problem.
  • peaceloveweedandveggies
    Options
    More healthy =/= perfectly healthy. In a perfect world, all our food would be organic and pure and lovely, but the majority of us live in an imperfect reality where we make compromises every day to try to meet our nutritional needs while staying within a budget, cooperating with friends and family, meeting the demands of a busy schedule, etc. For many people, an all-or-nothing mentality is an invitation to failure: "Well, I had a Twinkie, so now everything is ruined and I might as well just eat a whole bucket of fried chicken." For a lot of folks, being able to be more healthy without expecting 100% perfection is the only way to make a lifestyle change that will stick.

well thats because im recovering from an eating disorder but thats not the point. that is a mental illness.
    so id i said in moderation i should drink because thats better then doing meth is that okay too?
  • sndiane
    sndiane Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Is it better than what they were doing before? Probably. Does everyone have the same exposure that you have had? Probably Not. Does knowing things mean that you always do it? Definitely Not.
  • ubermensch13
    Options
    but its just crazy how people dont realize that its bad, but justify that its not as bad as something else there for its acceptable. if your not fully committed why even bother?

Again, how is it "bad"? You are using a hugely subjective term here without a more narrow definition. Some say eating any meat is bad, or not eating clean is bad, or eating anything GMO is bad......
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options

So, basically, if we aren't going to be perfect than we shouldn't try to improve our health?

That is quite possibly the stupidest logic I've ever heard.
  • ubermensch13
    Options

well thats because im recovering from an eating disorder but thats not the point. that is a mental illness.
    so id i said in moderation i should drink because thats better then doing meth is that okay too?

Yes, it is a better choice. It IS better to drink from time to time than doing Meth......
  • but its just crazy how people dont realize that its bad, but justify that its not as bad as something else there for its acceptable. if your not fully committed why even bother?

Why drive? that's hazardous to your health...so is going to the movies, shopping, school, etc etc. IF we all took on a "why bother' attitude, where would we be???
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    So because I eat the occasional splurge item and use Splenda here and there I shouldn't have bothered? How thin is the air up there on your high horse?
This discussion has been closed.