What have you seen new year resolutionists do at the gym!

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Nothing the resolutionists were doing per-say, but I saw some regulars placing bets last week on who would be there after January ended..made me giggle.

:-D
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Yesterday

A clearly out of shape, overly hairy guy stepped into the gym after his first dose of roids.

His routine
    -Beat up the punching bag until it got knocked off its base, while grunting and growling loudly.
    -Pull ups: Thirty or so badly formed and making it to the top of his head, not chin.
    -Grunt and growl
    -Grabs 50 lb dumbbells and proceeds to do flys after bugging me to finish with the bench
    -Beat up punching bag
    -more 50 lb weights
    -10 awful pullups
    -Leg presses. Full weights
    -Fart.

I couldn't wait to get out of there
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Working out in jeans, holding onto the treadmill while on an incline and lifting too heavy. Nothing I don't see the regulars doing.

I workout in jeans... and I've been working out for years.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I've seen them work out.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    holding onto the treadmill
    I don't understand this one.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I can only guess it's because they don't feel safe running on a treadmill. Fair enough. Once they get used to it, they'll be fine. On the off-chance that they get over-confident, have a video camera running to catch them being shot out the back of the treadmill. :-D
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy walking in eating a Snickers candy bar...Not going anywhere for a while!!!

You just reminded me of what I saw last year around this time .......people turning OFF their Cigarettes as they approached the entrance to the gym!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options

If you are walking/running on an incline and you're holding onto the treadmill like its a set of handlebars... you're doing it wrong.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    Nothing the resolutionists were doing per-say, but I saw some regulars placing bets last week on who would be there after January ended..made me giggle.

I must admit I am guilty of this too! :devil:
  • MelyndaWaldner
    MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yes, They are eager to start a new healthier and fit lifestyle. That is awesome!! Slowly working their way into shape and just making fitness a lifestyle is most impressive.

BUT have you seen some of them just try way too hard too fast and burn out?

This awesomely tanned big brown man was on the treadmill yesterday getting my sweat on when all of a sudden the new year resolutionist next to me who was slowly...vey slowly walking on an incline decided it was a perfect time to make a call on her cell phone..

5 seconds later she fell off the treadmill in mids of a phone conversation!!! I couldnt help but chuckle just for a second before I helped her up. Another resolutionist was yelling "call 911!!" like there was an auto accident! too funny.

So what have you seen out there in our packed gyms this time of year!?!!:bigsmile:

Oh crap that was me.... hahahaha kidding

I work out early in the morning, I have seen a lady fall asleep while taking a break from crunches..lol.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Along these same lines, why in the world do people grab the rails and jump with their feet out to the sides to stop when running? I'm pretty sure I've never seen a person in the real world change from an 8.5mph pace to 0.0mph in less than a second.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Along these same lines, why in the world do people grab the rails and jump with their feet out to the sides to stop when running? I'm pretty sure I've never seen a person in the real world change from an 8.5mph pace to 0.0mph in less than a second.

I may have done this at the end of an 800m race once for a giggle. :embarassed:

On a more serious note, sprint training up and down a yard might require hard "braking".
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    Yes, They are eager to start a new healthier and fit lifestyle. That is awesome!! Slowly working their way into shape and just making fitness a lifestyle is most impressive.

BUT have you seen some of them just try way too hard too fast and burn out?

This awesomely tanned big brown man was on the treadmill yesterday getting my sweat on when all of a sudden the new year resolutionist next to me who was slowly...vey slowly walking on an incline decided it was a perfect time to make a call on her cell phone..

5 seconds later she fell off the treadmill in mids of a phone conversation!!! I couldnt help but chuckle just for a second before I helped her up. Another resolutionist was yelling "call 911!!" like there was an auto accident! too funny.

So what have you seen out there in our packed gyms this time of year!?!!:bigsmile:

Oh crap that was me.... hahahaha kidding

I work out early in the morning, I have seen a lady fall asleep while taking a break from crunches..lol.

Thats toooo funny!!!!
  • Dreamerryu27
    Dreamerryu27 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Walking on the treadmill backwards and holding on almost moonwalkerish? I dunno dude lol :)
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options

When I do sprints, I do this. Sprint work helped shave 15 min off my 1/2 mary time. I'm probably not doing it correctly in terms of "Treadmill Etiquette", but I despise running on it in the first place.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options

If you are walking/running on an incline and you're holding onto the treadmill like its a set of handlebars... you're doing it wrong.

Well said !
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Last night, I was so completely distracted and out of it (stupid, stress), I probably looked like the newbie! I walked to a tricep extension machine and kept trying to figure out how to sit on it with my face facing the back pad, and as if that weren't enough, I kept switching the direction on the ab twist but not getting on it the opposite way, so I did 60 reps on the right side before I realized I had never worked the left. I probably should have just quit right then, but thankfully pressed on and had no more mishaps. Happens to the best of us, I suppose.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    I must admit there is also alot more eye candy around this time of year
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    When I do sprints, I do this. Sprint work helped shave 15 min off my 1/2 mary time. I'm probably not doing it correctly in terms of "Treadmill Etiquette", but I despise running on it in the first place.

Yeah, me too. The sprint part - not the marathon thing... The treadmills at the gym have no "quick set" buttons, so you have to hold down this little arrow and it takes forever to slow down.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options

Well said !

Some of our treadmills will shut off if your hands aren't on the bars. Just in case anyone ever comes into my gym and sees me holding on, its so the machine wont stop.