What have you seen new year resolutionists do at the gym!

Options

Replies

• Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    i have seen obviously new people / severly out of shape people working thier a$$e$ off, trying to make a difference in thier health. I have seen these people looking around, trying to figure out what they are supposed to do, and instead of just walking out, in frustration, trying different machines, seeing which ones they enjoy best. i then see these people sweaty, red, and out of breath after putting in a good chunk of time trying to make a change in thier life that might allow them to live a long happy life as a parent / spouse / grandparent / etc... i see these so called "resolutionist" as the same people that the majority of us have been, at one time or another... and if these people fail, just as many of us did in the past, i hope and pray to see them next january, because one of these times, it will stick. thats what i see at my gym!

Well Said
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I go to a women's only gym. The oddest thing I've noticed recently is people who don't Actually work out they just walk around and talk to people and then leave. Or people who just float around in the pool for 15 mins and then get in the sauna and then leave. I mean come on, they don't actually think theyre going to lose weight do they?

Ahhhh the floaters. Lots of those. The ones in my gym ar armed with their cell phones at all times!
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    Yes, They are eager to start a new healthier and fit lifestyle. That is awesome!! Slowly working their way into shape and just making fitness a lifestyle is most impressive.

BUT have you seen some of them just try way too hard too fast and burn out?

This awesomely tanned big brown man was on the treadmill yesterday getting my sweat on when all of a sudden the new year resolutionist next to me who was slowly...vey slowly walking on an incline decided it was a perfect time to make a call on her cell phone..

5 seconds later she fell off the treadmill in mids of a phone conversation!!! I couldnt help but chuckle just for a second before I helped her up. Another resolutionist was yelling "call 911!!" like there was an auto accident! too funny.

So what have you seen out there in our packed gyms this time of year!?!!:bigsmile:

Now this is exactly what I'm waiting to see at my gym. So carry on Cell phone people, carry on!!!
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Wearing the wrong shoes. Playing DS while on the Cybex (not as bad, I just never saw them before so I knew they were new.). Not doing sets of reps. Doing 30 reps really quickly without pausing. No controlled motions. And not n00bs but still annoying - holding onto the treadmill. Not following the red light/green light system at the 30 minute workout at my Planet Fitness. WHEN IT'S RED GET UP AND MOVE TO ANOTHER MACHINE.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I saw a man today lifting weights wearing a long-sleeved button up, collared dress shirt...tucked into dress slacks...wearing men's dress shoes and carrying around his trench coat. I was really concerned that he was going to slip off the calf raise machine!
  • sezhep
    sezhep Posts: 57
    Options
    2 resolutionist young girls having a personal training session with an instructor.

One of them turned to the instructor and said "But we thought if your work out is really intense you just get super muscly and I don't want big muscles?"

Doh.

Oh.. and a man in pyjama bottoms!
    Also both him, and the girls above were in the gym the day after as well, all wearing the same clothes as the day before! EW!!!!
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yesterday

A clearly out of shape, overly hairy guy stepped into the gym after his first dose of roids.

His routine
    -Beat up the punching bag until it got knocked off its base, while grunting and growling loudly.
    -Pull ups: Thirty or so badly formed and making it to the top of his head, not chin.
    -Grunt and growl
    -Grabs 50 lb dumbbells and proceeds to do flys after bugging me to finish with the bench
    -Beat up punching bag
    -more 50 lb weights
    -10 awful pullups
    -Leg presses. Full weights
    -Fart.

I couldn't wait to get out of there

POOR GUY BUT AT LEAST HE'S TRYING.
  • ridofthegoodies
    ridofthegoodies Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Man in his 60s wearing a t-shirt with ripped up sleeves - not ripped off mind you, but ripped up, as in arm fringe. This was not a hipster being ironic or meathead pulling a "Hulk smash." This was just some otherwise normal guy in the weight room.
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Women putting on make up in the bathroom BEFORE they go to work out! Witnessed it last night!! WTF?
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I watched some guy almost kill himself while doing a bench press. :laugh: Way too much weight, he couldn't handle it and the bar landed on his chest on the first rep. He yelled and 2 guys had to help him get the weight of his chest.
  • GainsAndGuitars
    Options
    Mostly just resolutioners going waaaayyy too slow on the treadmills and watching Netlfix or something on their phone. Also, obviously new workout gear, which is funny because I pulled something similar. Last week I got some great new workout gear because my old stuff was getting pretty ragged. So I put on my new athletic hoodie and some shorts/shoes that I already had. I didn't notice until I got to the gym when a regular guy I know looked at me and shook his head and I said "What?" I looked in the mirror and all of my clothing matched. Like, every piece. I felt like holding up a sign that said "I'm not new, I promise!"
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    holding onto the treadmill
    I don't understand this one.

I can only guess it's because they don't feel safe running on a treadmill. Fair enough. Once they get used to it, they'll be fine. On the off-chance that they get over-confident, have a video camera running to catch them being shot out the back of the treadmill. :-D

I'm probably the most uncoordinated person on the planet. I can run outside no problem. Get me on a treadmill, and I'm holding on for dear life.

ME TOO! when I am on an incline of 30 at 4.0 thats a good speed walk, its so I don't fall on my *kitten*!!! and I do intervals, then I will slow down and take my hands off ........and I get a way better workout then running at 0 incline at 6.5 or 7.......thanks for coming out !!!!!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    There are 2 newbie chicks at my gym that wear matching outfits (overly tight pants and revealing tops) and have matching pink and black hair. They will soon see that this is not the gym for them. Mostly everyone at my gym actually does work.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Women putting on make up in the bathroom BEFORE they go to work out! Witnessed it last night!! WTF?

ya, this drives me crazy. there is one person at my gym that fixes her hair for 20minutes before she trains with her trainer, lol.
  • Moiraza
    Moiraza Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i have seen obviously new people / severly out of shape people working thier a$$e$ off, trying to make a difference in thier health. I have seen these people looking around, trying to figure out what they are supposed to do, and instead of just walking out, in frustration, trying different machines, seeing which ones they enjoy best. i then see these people sweaty, red, and out of breath after putting in a good chunk of time trying to make a change in thier life that might allow them to live a long happy life as a parent / spouse / grandparent / etc... i see these so called "resolutionist" as the same people that the majority of us have been, at one time or another... and if these people fail, just as many of us did in the past, i hope and pray to see them next january, because one of these times, it will stick. thats what i see at my gym!

As one of this year's crop of resolutionists I can but say "Amen!" to this one.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy walking in eating a Snickers candy bar...Not going anywhere for a while!!!

You just reminded me of what I saw last year around this time .......people turning OFF their Cigarettes as they approached the entrance to the gym!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here there used to be a guy who would take a break from the treadmill to sit on the bench and have a cigarrette while watching the bikinis at the pool. Then he'd stomp his cigarrette take one last obvious look and get back inside on the treadmill. Our treadmills face the pool so I can only guess the bikini gazing is better from outside the glass divide? All this with a hood on?
  • LeahRandom
    LeahRandom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    HaHa! I'm new to my gym, but I started at the end of December to loose weight for my wedding, and just because. I go late at night, between 10 and 12, and not many people are there. Still, I am always paranoid that I'm doing something dumb or totally wrong. Last night I went in with my new gym bag and smart phone arm band (I got tired of accidentally ripping my ear buds out) and I was way self conscious, feeling like I might as well have a flashing sign "NEWBIE!" I try to take it slow and only use things I know how to use (I used to go to the gym) until I meet with a trainer, so I hope that makes me look less spastic. : )
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    I saw a guy walking in eating a Snickers candy bar...Not going anywhere for a while!!!

You just reminded me of what I saw last year around this time .......people turning OFF their Cigarettes as they approached the entrance to the gym!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here there used to be a guy who would take a break from the treadmill to sit on the bench and have a cigarrette while watching the bikinis at the pool. Then he'd stomp his cigarrette take one last obvious look and get back inside on the treadmill. Our treadmills face the pool so I can only guess the bikini gazing is better from outside the glass divide? All this with a hood on?

Weird! I used to try working out and continuing smoking. It did not work!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    There are 2 newbie chicks at my gym that wear matching outfits (overly tight pants and revealing tops) and have matching pink and black hair. They will soon see that this is not the gym for them. Mostly everyone at my gym actually does work.
    Yeah I wish the gym tours could be more honest about their clientele. I once joined a meat market gym that was all about hot young women meeting rich old disgusting men. I never had such a hard time working out ever. The sad part was the facilities were so cool and bougie and practical and convenient. Just what a real workout person would love to enjoy.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    A few people new to Zumba standing directly next to or behind me and getting knocked the F*#! out during the routine.

I really don't mean to :flowerforyou: