What have you seen new year resolutionists do at the gym!

Options

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    There are 2 newbie chicks at my gym that wear matching outfits (overly tight pants and revealing tops) and have matching pink and black hair. They will soon see that this is not the gym for them. Mostly everyone at my gym actually does work.
    Yeah I wish the gym tours could be more honest about their clientele. I once joined a meat market gym that was all about hot young women meeting rich old disgusting men. I never had such a hard time working out ever. The sad part was the facilities were so cool and bougie and practical and convenient. Just what a real workout person would love to enjoy.

This sort of stereo typing is very destructive.
    Please try to remember that not all old disgusting men are rich.

Thank you,
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I was in my Body Works class (weight and body toning stuff) and had some newbies. Its a very active class using handweights. Yes they are light weight but we do 100-200 reps for toning and squat and lunge while doing so and it can take a toll...two girls just sat down. Didn't leave...just sat (in the middle) and watched when they got tired.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    i have seen obviously new people / severly out of shape people working thier a$$e$ off, trying to make a difference in thier health. I have seen these people looking around, trying to figure out what they are supposed to do, and instead of just walking out, in frustration, trying different machines, seeing which ones they enjoy best. i then see these people sweaty, red, and out of breath after putting in a good chunk of time trying to make a change in thier life that might allow them to live a long happy life as a parent / spouse / grandparent / etc... i see these so called "resolutionist" as the same people that the majority of us have been, at one time or another... and if these people fail, just as many of us did in the past, i hope and pray to see them next january, because one of these times, it will stick. thats what i see at my gym!

:heart:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My husband is a resolutionist this year. He holds on when he walks on the treadmill, he may get up to 3.6 mph. What people don't know is that he's already done 30-40 minutes of strength training and he's disabled with muscular dystrophy. He looks like a strapping man, not someone who is disabled. He hasn't done ANY cardio work in the 23 years that we've been together until January 1st of this year. He is wearing brand new sneakers because he has had 20+ operations on his feet and if he wears old sneakers, he can't walk the next day. He has to consult his workout card to know what to set the machines at and what weights to set.

You know what? I am super proud of him!
  • Imasummerbug
    Imasummerbug Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Got one in our gym who should have great jaw muscles and whichever muscle is used to keep a cell phone attached to the side of his head. He finishes one call and is on another they whole time (over an hour ... is there when I arrive and still yakking way when I leave!)
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I saw someone doing pull ups on the smith machine, im sure it was ok, but it looked weird.

I've done that :tongue: Hey, when the gym is crowded you improvise!
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    He's not new, I've seen him loads of times, but there's a guy at my gym who runs on the treadmill, and he runs hard, wearing a jumper and hat. Not a cap but a woolly beanie hat. Sometimes the jumper comes off but the hat never does. I don't get it, especially when my gym doesn't have air con. He must be boiling!
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    2 resolutionist young girls having a personal training session with an instructor.

One of them turned to the instructor and said "But we thought if your work out is really intense you just get super muscly and I don't want big muscles?"

Doh.

Oh.. and a man in pyjama bottoms!
    Also both him, and the girls above were in the gym the day after as well, all wearing the same clothes as the day before! EW!!!!

because they cant own a washer? Whats wrong with wearing the same thing as long as you cleaned it? Did you ask them or smell them?
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy walking in eating a Snickers candy bar...Not going anywhere for a while!!!

You just reminded me of what I saw last year around this time .......people turning OFF their Cigarettes as they approached the entrance to the gym!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here there used to be a guy who would take a break from the treadmill to sit on the bench and have a cigarrette while watching the bikinis at the pool. Then he'd stomp his cigarrette take one last obvious look and get back inside on the treadmill. Our treadmills face the pool so I can only guess the bikini gazing is better from outside the glass divide? All this with a hood on?

That guy for the win!!:smokin:
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Nothing the resolutionists were doing per-say, but I saw some regulars placing bets last week on who would be there after January ended..made me giggle.

Haha!
    At my gym some of the regulars have been asking the instructors to make class harder to scare the resolutionists away.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    The only newbie I've seen at the gym is the one in the mirror, who's using his fitness knowledge from his military time, plus the help of a smartphone app (jefit), to begin a cutting routine. Thankfully, my gym is fairly small and there aren't a lot of people.
    Hey! You are me....

The gym attendant at my Y is the one that sets up people on the FitLinnxx system and I went to see him to get set up last night. He was kind of snarky to me, making slightly rude comments, insinuating that I wouldn't be around for long, and suggesting ridiculous weight levels (10lbs. Seriously.) for the machines...until I told him of my 9 years in the Army, including 2 tours in Iraq, and maxed out the weight on their calf machine...
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Ahhhh the floaters. Lots of those.

^^^I don't think that word means what you think it means.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I saw someone doing pull ups on the smith machine, im sure it was ok, but it looked weird.

I've done that :tongue: Hey, when the gym is crowded you improvise!
    It's a real exercise. They're called rack chins
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUnme7_mlg
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Useful when the gym doesn't have a pull-up bar for whatever reason. As long as you're not too tall like me.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    2 resolutionist young girls having a personal training session with an instructor.

One of them turned to the instructor and said "But we thought if your work out is really intense you just get super muscly and I don't want big muscles?"

Doh.

Oh.. and a man in pyjama bottoms!
    Also both him, and the girls above were in the gym the day after as well, all wearing the same clothes as the day before! EW!!!!
    because they cant own a washer? Whats wrong with wearing the same thing as long as you cleaned it? Did you ask them or smell them?
    I had someone ask me why I wear the same shirt everyday for riding my motorcycle and ask me if I ever wash it. She felt a little salty when I showed her the next day that I had gotten a really good deal on the shirt and bought 10 of them...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    holding onto the treadmill
    Along these same lines, why in the world do people grab the rails and jump with their feet out to the sides to stop when running? I'm pretty sure I've never seen a person in the real world change from an 8.5mph pace to 0.0mph in less than a second.

Not sure about the rest - but I'm really clutzy. I also had a bad case of vertigo several years back and it has never really gone away..so now I'm even more off-balance than before..lol.

And some of the stories are hilarious! Keep 'em coming :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This kinda stuff is what makes me scared to join a gym, and consistently go. I'm not a gym newbie, but the gym I'd be going to...I would be.

All those judging eyes is what makes me hate going.

yeah :ohwell:

Yeah...maybe by going later in the year it won't be as bad then if I'd decided to join this month or the next....

Then again..might just make me stick out worse..haahahaha :D
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Great stories. We all do stupid things. We can either laugh about it, or take ourselves way too seriously and try to ruin everyone else's good time.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Great stories. We all do stupid things. We can either laugh about it, or take ourselves way too seriously and try to ruin everyone else's good time.

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!! I myself was a complete wreck last year when I TRIED doing Bikram Yoga for 90 minutes............I could only do like 1 out of every 4 poese or so...I was bad!:bigsmile:
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    holding onto the treadmill
    Along these same lines, why in the world do people grab the rails and jump with their feet out to the sides to stop when running? I'm pretty sure I've never seen a person in the real world change from an 8.5mph pace to 0.0mph in less than a second.

Like it was said before...sprint training. have you ever tried to change the speed while going 12 mph. it ain't easy.