What have you seen new year resolutionists do at the gym!

Options

Replies

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Spill the beans babycakes...........You are working out at a re-hab center!?!!?:bigsmile:
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Nothing too exciting, some of them have been using equipment the wrong way.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I workout at home.

When I first did "fast feet" in Insanity I tripped up and found myself on the floor. :blushing:
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I saw one throw up when they walked out the spin class lol. They walked straight to the front door ...........and gone !!
  • MelyndaWaldner
    MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I must admit there is also alot more eye candy around this time of year

Okay I will admit, my very first time at the gym, I was overwhelmed by the man-candy. I was running on the treadmill and this guy walked by, absolutely gorgeous and a hot body and I literally stopped. The treadmill didnt and I fell face first.. To add to my humilation, he helped me up and asked if I was okay. I just laughed and brushed it off and tried not to limp all the way to the change room..
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i have seen obviously new people / severly out of shape people working thier a$$e$ off, trying to make a difference in thier health. I have seen these people looking around, trying to figure out what they are supposed to do, and instead of just walking out, in frustration, trying different machines, seeing which ones they enjoy best. i then see these people sweaty, red, and out of breath after putting in a good chunk of time trying to make a change in thier life that might allow them to live a long happy life as a parent / spouse / grandparent / etc... i see these so called "resolutionist" as the same people that the majority of us have been, at one time or another... and if these people fail, just as many of us did in the past, i hope and pray to see them next january, because one of these times, it will stick. thats what i see at my gym!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    nothing! the newbies have been doing nothing! they're looking great in their $300 workout gear though
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I saw a newbie girl pick her camel toe.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've doubled down on stay in my own bubble concentration since I saw the other thread on resolutionists so I'm short on stories. Although there is a group of young male buddies that tried to take over equipment in the free weight area with towels and cell phones. I found it ironic they were being aggressive and exclusionary when perhaps they should have been looking for friends and acceptance.

I was nice about it but some of the other regulars used it as an opportunity to create a confrontation which they won because a few of them look like defensive linemen.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I've seen them steal all the parking spaces. No worries though, they'll be gone by February 15th:laugh:
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    A whole lot of people turning up for the first morning class of the year on Monday...
    only 7 of us there this morning. Hilarious. For a long time I looked like I was the only one :p
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Not seen anything this year, but last year I noticed people getting a bit lost in the large gym and ended up walking into the wrong changing (locker) rooms... or from changing rooms into the toilets or whatever. And of course, struggling with locks on the lockers.

Shouldn't laugh though - we were all there once.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    Nothing really unusual/funny here, just SO MANY OF THEM. We've been members of our local YMCA for about a year now and just in the past week we've noticed the gym has been packed to capacity every single night after work.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed, things haven't been too bad at my YMCA the last week or so. Treadmills have been in short supply this week for sure.

I did see two newbies standing on stopped treadmills, talking, for a good 30 minutes last week.

right around Christmas/ New Years there was some older guy with his ankle through the handle of the cable cross machine doing some sort of ninja kicking mess...I haven't seen him this week, so maybe the trainer ran him off?

Today, I was amazed...I did my stuff in the squat rack, re-racked my weights and walked to the lat pull down machine. A newbie approached me and said something to the effect of " I saw you in the squat rack earlier, and I just wanted to make sure you were done...". I wasn't expecting that kind of thoughtfulness.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If a new year resolutionists is working out next to me I yell at them to "Get out of my garage".
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This kinda stuff is what makes me scared to join a gym, and consistently go. I'm not a gym newbie, but the gym I'd be going to...I would be.

All those judging eyes is what makes me hate going.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I dont belong to a gym right now but I remember the misery last year of our dance class being so packed I couldnt get more than about 3 square feet for me. Just give a few weeks and most will be gone.
  • lawrahmck
    Options
    holding onto the treadmill
    Along these same lines, why in the world do people grab the rails and jump with their feet out to the sides to stop when running? I'm pretty sure I've never seen a person in the real world change from an 8.5mph pace to 0.0mph in less than a second.

Yep, a lot of people do this for HIIT training - 20 second sprint, 10 seconds rest, or similar..
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    holding onto the treadmill
    I don't understand this one.

I can only guess it's because they don't feel safe running on a treadmill. Fair enough. Once they get used to it, they'll be fine. On the off-chance that they get over-confident, have a video camera running to catch them being shot out the back of the treadmill. :-D

I'm probably the most uncoordinated person on the planet. I can run outside no problem. Get me on a treadmill, and I'm holding on for dear life.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing a lot of exercises performed poorly... and a lot of people who have no program or real goal in mind.

An older guy wearing slacks fell over last week trying to do squats. He had the safety pins set above elbow height because his pants were preventing him from going lower. He is still showing up in the same slacks.

There's one younger guy who tries to lift hilariously over his ability and it makes him thrash and strain for every lift with terrible form... he waves his *kitten* around in the air while he's benching. To top it off, he walks around the gym scowling HARD at everything. Just trying to project "badass". I ruin his vibe by doing heavy deadlifts next to him. :laugh:

Another new guy (who actually showed up the week before xmas) kinda wanders around from machine to dumbbell rack to kettlebell (basically everything except a barbell) doing everything at 1/4 to 1/2 ROM.