Traveling to America - should I be concerned?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    our chocolate will taste like baking chocolate to you, and not like candy.

There are a lot of imported chocolates here, including from England, Germany and Switzerland.

But Dutch chocolate is the best! :bigsmile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    our chocolate will taste like baking chocolate to you, and not like candy.

There are a lot of imported chocolates here, including from England, Germany and Switzerland.
    True, but I was assuming OP was referencing our "native" fare, not the awesome stuff we get from abroad.

Well, I'm pretty sure the OP wasn't serious. However, if he were, he seemed more concerned that he wouldn't be able to find proper food for his tastes here. I'm pointing out that it is available. Very readily availble.

The only chocolate I eat anymore is from England and available at Walmart.
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Also, the cows here say "moo", not "shazoo".

:laugh: :drinker:
  • ZhayneRaye
    Options
    Depends on what state, what city, and where you eat.... Here in houston, texas there are hardly any bad food
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I visited Florida from the UK for a couple of weeks, ate plenty, exercised little and put on a pile of fat.

A few years later I did the national parks on the west coast, ate plenty, walked heaps and dropped blubber.

No idea what changed ;)
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've been overseas and we eat the same food you do. it's just we eat 1/3 more portions than you do. our food is no different .
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Dude........... you're Mexican................... Taco Bell

Simples

Dude...that was not cool...
    awwww LMAO
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a great idea. Since you seem like a smart man maybe you should read the biographies of all the U.S Olympians that keep winning gold metals for the United States. Maybe you can see what they eat so you can have an idea of how this country does it to be the best in the world and then you will have a good idea of what to eat while you're out here :) Have a safe trip.

Thanks. I've read about Phelps diet, not sure I can eat that much. But I'm not trying to earn an Olympic medal.
    But speaking of medals - the average US diet/exercise/program doesn't produce a lot of atheletes; given the size of the population one might expect more results.

http://www.medalspercapita.com/

Great Britain seems to get more than half the number of gold medals that the US gets and they are way smaller.

But, this isn't a pissing match about the worlds greatest or not. I'm just a traveler trying to get some advise. So you are saying, stay only in tourist areas? Is this a real concern in your eyes?

That’s because the United States doesn’t go after medals like Badminton, Tug-of-war and Rrowing. Your greatest Olympian of all time rows a friggin boat. lol

Europe even botched the lighting of the torch by not having David Becham light it instead you picked some kids to represent the future of Rowing?

Rowing is demanding and difficult. David Beckham ain't all that, he's only an overpaid football (soccer?) player at the end of the day.
    'Europe' botched it? Europe is a continent, mate. GREAT BRITAIN, not Europe. What's more- the lighting of the torch was not botched - it was planned that 6 of the most promising, upcoming, young amateur athletes who will be competing for Team GB in Rio were to light the flame and not let one 'celebrity' sports star to get all the glory. And it was a beautiful flame and structure!
    I was (and am!) very proud to be British, especially after how we hosted the Olympics and how Team GB performed. I thought the Opening Ceremony was amazingly executed by Danny Boyle, brought together our amazingly rich history and heritage and showcased our wonderful sporting, cultural, creative and musical talent. All much better role models for kids than reality stars and celebs who are only successful for making sex tapes.
    Ok, off topic, but rant over.
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I may have a slight crush on the OP after getting through all of this :flowerforyou:
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to work out without the stick up my behind...
    I am surprised to see a mom with a young son laughing at someone being called retarded. No stick up my @ss, I just find that word to be offensive, especially as the mother of a child with autism. I was surprised to see a grown man call another grown man that, but even more surprised to see you laughing so hard at it.

It is unfortunate that this thread has gone down that path. That to my put-on silliness in this included responses with gay-bashing innuendo or mental handicap as a put-down? We could do without.
    The irony is that I played an uneducated Yahoo (a la Gulliver's Travels) to point out a little about the ambient Orthorexia on the site and we are ending this thread with a real yahoo-moment. Too bad.
    Agreed, Thank you for the laughs while it lasted,
  • marthathebear
    Options
    This post is insulting to people who live and eat in the US and are healthy. If you are that concerned maybe you should rethink coming over.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I may have a slight crush on the OP after getting through all of this :flowerforyou:

SAME! :heart:

sidenote: i cannot believe i just read this entire thread.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat out of dumpsters like the rest of us and you'll be fine.
  • lovejulez03
    lovejulez03 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    at_first_i_was_like_obama.5phf1eu9ea4kmccko8080gcc8.ck2u8j60r56w4kkwoc8k4k4kk.th.jpeg

lmao I just lol'd
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options
    Rowing is demanding and difficult. David Beckham ain't all that, he's only an overpaid football (soccer?) player at the end of the day.
    'Europe' botched it? Europe is a continent, mate. GREAT BRITAIN, not Europe. What's more- the lighting of the torch was not botched - it was planned that 6 of the most promising, upcoming, young amateur athletes who will be competing for Team GB in Rio were to light the flame and not let one 'celebrity' sports star to get all the glory. And it was a beautiful flame and structure!
    I was (and am!) very proud to be British, especially after how we hosted the Olympics and how Team GB performed. I thought the Opening Ceremony was amazingly executed by Danny Boyle, brought together our amazingly rich history and heritage and showcased our wonderful sporting, cultural, creative and musical talent. All much better role models for kids than reality stars and celebs who are only successful for making sex tapes.
    Ok, off topic, but rant over.

Well said!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Are you serious??
  • CassieRoark
    Options
    Yes, pack two weeks worth of raw dairy and meat. Enjoy your trip!

I really wish MFP had a "like" button!

Me too!!!!!!! LMAO!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    OP, you're hilarious, and so is this thread.

If you ever go to Russia, watch out for the bears on the streets. The ones that Putin hasn't tranquilized yet.

Canada has some free-roving beavers that will suck you dry if you let them.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is from brazil and it annoys him to hear the US referred to as America, so it does bother some.

On the original note, I would avoid eating at all. We have calories in our air and you'll probably gain about ten pounds just by breathing.

Why would a Brazilian be annoyed at being called a Brazilian?

Well, in the 90s in the Paris slang, " une Brazilienne dans les Bois de Boulogne", a "Brazilienne" (female) in the woods near Paris meant Transvestite. NTTAWT.

My favorite Brazilian is Terry Gilliam. (points, if you get it)
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    You have got to be kidding. I have a friend whose Mom contracted "mad cow disease" after traveling in Europe. I have never heard of anyone getting it in this country.

Oh, I don't know.

I once dated an American lady and she was freakin' nuts!

Mooooo!