Traveling to America - should I be concerned?

Options

Replies

• Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Think you'll find we are pretty good at a lot of sitting down sports. That will include Rowing (I suggest you watch Gold Fever to see how hard it is), cycling and the equestrian disciplines.

But I think you'll find we did all right in boxing, athletics, gymnastics, Taekwondo and Triathlon too :smile:

To the OP - have fun travelling - I've never had an issues eating in America (and that is all of it!) :happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about being shot by a gun then getting sick by eating bad food!
    In my 36 years in America, I have never been shot by a gun. And I don't know, personally, a single person who has been shot by a gun. That includes my grandfathers who fought in WWII.

I have had food poisoning once, though.

How did you get it?
    I'm not certain it was, but everyone in the house got sick, so it probably was.

We ate at a Friendly's Restaurant and it seems someone may not have followed proper food handling rules. But even that is pretty uncommon. Like I said, ONCE. And I have eaten in a lot of restaurants.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is from brazil and it annoys him to hear the US referred to as America, so it does bother some.

On the original note, I would avoid eating at all. We have calories in our air and you'll probably gain about ten pounds just by breathing.

Why would a Brazilian be annoyed at being called a Brazilian?
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options
    I can't believe the number of people who have responded to this post seriously and are still continuing to do so... ha!

It's given me a good laugh anyway so thank you OP.

BTW - Have you tried Rrowing?
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options

Seriously. The only PEANUT BUTTER I've ever seen in Europe is (wait for it...) American (yes, that is the brand name and it has a huge USA flag on the label and it tasted like really old government peanut butter.)
    Now almond butter, cashew butter, other nut butters are easy to find and they are delish!

You've obviously never been to the UK.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Since America is a rather large part of the continent....

"America" actually covers two entire continents. Specificity is required!

America is one country in North America. Other countries are called other things like Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Brazil, Venezuela, Peru, etc.
  • rml_16
    Options
    You know, I really don't care if people from other countries are annoyed that people from the US are called Americans. What are we supposed to be called? United Stateseans?

And I've been informed that we're not even supposed to be called the United States, since apparently Mexico's full name is The United States of Mexico or something like that.

So I suppose to avoid offending everyone in the world, we'll just be "Those People Over There."
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to try these:

jimmydean.jpg
    REALLY??? Gross
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is from brazil and it annoys him to hear the US referred to as America, so it does bother some.

On the original note, I would avoid eating at all. We have calories in our air and you'll probably gain about ten pounds just by breathing.

Why would a Brazilian be annoyed at being called a Brazilian?

He must be some kind of nut *badum tish*

I should warn everyone that I do not foresee my jokes getting better at any point today.
  • 1stday13
    Options
    You know, I really don't care if people from other countries are annoyed that people from the US are called Americans. What are we supposed to be called? United Stateseans?

And I've been informed that we're not even supposed to be called the United States, since apparently Mexico's full name is The United States of Mexico or something like that.

So I suppose to avoid offending everyone in the world, we'll just be "Those People Over There."
    LMAO
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The FDA here is not real. They are a for profit.

You will need to find an Earth Fare, Natural Foods or Fresh Market. Stick with Organic only. I would limit your dairy while your here to just what you can get by with.

My family comes back and forth a lot and are practicing Muslims. It is much different....much much different.
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think your idea of sticking to fast food is the best. Be sure to eat fast food for everything, and don't forget the fries and shakes/malts with ALL of your meals. Also, go for fried/breaded options. Frying foods kills more bacteria than just baking them. You'll be safe as kittens going this route.

^ Best advice I've seen on here all day!
  • 1stday13
    Options
    Troll?
    That's my guess.
    I sure hope so, else we just freaked out some poor soul :noway:
  • I have known several exchange students from Europe over my high school career, and one even became a permanent friend!

I can tell you EXACTLY what'll be different in terms of food.

Yes, our food is by and large more processed, you'll have to spend a lot of money on "good" cheese, Mince is not a thing here, and our chocolate will taste like baking chocolate to you, and not like candy.

Oh, and all of our milk and eggs are pasteurized, but they're essentially the same by way of taste.
    If you're concerned about hormones, The UK, Scandinavia, and most of Eastern Europe still use the same hormones the US does in their food.
    Also:

WATCH OUT FOR RED DYE 40
    It's illegal to use in the EU, and if you're from the EU countries, you probably have not had Red Dye 40 in your life time, and may feel sick from it if you consume it.
  • 1stday13
    Options
    I have a great idea. Since you seem like a smart man maybe you should read the biographies of all the U.S Olympians that keep winning gold metals for the United States. Maybe you can see what they eat so you can have an idea of how this country does it to be the best in the world and then you will have a good idea of what to eat while you're out here :) Have a safe trip.
    Your command of the written & vocabulary is really quite remarkable. :yawn:

Thanks. I've read about Phelps diet, not sure I can eat that much. But I'm not trying to earn an Olympic medal.
    But speaking of medals - the average US diet/exercise/program doesn't produce a lot of atheletes; given the size of the population one might expect more results.

http://www.medalspercapita.com/

Great Britain seems to get more than half the number of gold medals that the US gets and they are way smaller.

But, this isn't a pissing match about the worlds greatest or not. I'm just a traveler trying to get some advise. So you are saying, stay only in tourist areas? Is this a real concern in your eyes?

That’s because the United States doesn’t go after medals like Badminton, Tug-of-war and Rrowing. Your greatest Olympian of all time rows a friggin boat. lol

My greatest Olympian of all times? Wha?

I think national pride is great, all that and a box of chocolates. But I'm from wherever you think I am.
    What great sporting spirit - "those don't count" - lol, back at ya.
  • Another thing I'm told is that our Peanut Butter tastes better.
    Our sausages and bacon are inferior.
    Tartare is not a typical fare here, you'll have to pay a lot of money for it at some place fancy.
  • 1stday13
    Options
    at_first_i_was_like_obama.5phf1eu9ea4kmccko8080gcc8.ck2u8j60r56w4kkwoc8k4k4kk.th.jpeg

This pretty much sums up this entire post.
    Perhaps, but you have to admit, it is quite entertaining & fun way to start your day :drinker:
  • rml_16
    Options
    our chocolate will taste like baking chocolate to you, and not like candy.

There are a lot of imported chocolates here, including from England, Germany and Switzerland.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yes, that should be the new "politically-correct" term for "global citizens" in this part of the world. :laugh:
  • our chocolate will taste like baking chocolate to you, and not like candy.

There are a lot of imported chocolates here, including from England, Germany and Switzerland.
    True, but I was assuming OP was referencing our "native" fare, not the awesome stuff we get from abroad.