Traveling to America - should I be concerned?

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the number of people who have responded to this post seriously and are still continuing to do so... ha!

It's given me a good laugh anyway so thank you OP.

BTW - Have you tried Rrowing?

I know?! Crazy. ;)

I have not tried Rrowing but I like Rowling - great books.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My favorite Brazilian is Terry Gilliam. (points, if you get it)

Except John Cleese, I never knew who was who, but I'm going to take a wild guess:

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    My husband and I travel to the US every year, and have eaten food there (of course!). If you're looking on certain sites, anything can seem much worse than it is. Just be wise about what you choose to eat, that's all. If you go there and eat some double cheeseburgers - well... haha.

So I'll avoid the double cheesburgers, along with the catfish at the petrol (gas?) station.

I'm trying to be wise as seriously possible about good and bad food and eating raw and healthy.
    But wise at choosing isn't so easy when you don't know the rules of how the food is good or bad. And all you read here.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    You know, I really don't care if people from other countries are annoyed that people from the US are called Americans. What are we supposed to be called? United Stateseans?

And I've been informed that we're not even supposed to be called the United States, since apparently Mexico's full name is The United States of Mexico or something like that.

So I suppose to avoid offending everyone in the world, we'll just be "Those People Over There."
    I usually just refer to them as "silly Yanks" instead of "American". There's no confusion then. :bigsmile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Except John Cleese, I never knew who was who, but I'm going to take a wild guess:

This Brazil
    Brazil-poster.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I have known several exchange students from Europe over my high school career, and one even became a permanent friend!

I can tell you EXACTLY what'll be different in terms of food.

Yes, our food is by and large more processed, you'll have to spend a lot of money on "good" cheese, Mince is not a thing here, and our chocolate will taste like baking chocolate to you, and not like candy.

Oh, and all of our milk and eggs are pasteurized, but they're essentially the same by way of taste.
    If you're concerned about hormones, The UK, Scandinavia, and most of Eastern Europe still use the same hormones the US does in their food.
    Also:

WATCH OUT FOR RED DYE 40
    It's illegal to use in the EU, and if you're from the EU countries, you probably have not had Red Dye 40 in your life time, and may feel sick from it if you consume it.
    I love chocolate -- I'm sure I can find some Lindt dark or I'll even settle for Ghirardelli - good stuff, one can also find in Californian, I think?

OK, I'll avoid RED 40 - is it used in meats?

And pasturized eggs are a great idea - never tried them, I just saw that they are considered safe raw.

--The U.S. Department of Agriculture also states, “In-shell pasteurized eggs may be used safely without cooking.”
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I think your idea of sticking to fast food is the best. Be sure to eat fast food for everything, and don't forget the fries and shakes/malts with ALL of your meals. Also, go for fried/breaded options. Frying foods kills more bacteria than just baking them. You'll be safe as kittens going this route.

^ Best advice I've seen on here all day!

I felt this was good advice - this is what I meant by eating fast as a well controlled source of food - prepared right in front of you.
  • rml_16
    Options
    You know, I really don't care if people from other countries are annoyed that people from the US are called Americans. What are we supposed to be called? United Stateseans?

And I've been informed that we're not even supposed to be called the United States, since apparently Mexico's full name is The United States of Mexico or something like that.

So I suppose to avoid offending everyone in the world, we'll just be "Those People Over There."
    I usually just refer to them as "silly Yanks" instead of "American". There's no confusion then. :bigsmile:
    When I yank, it is never silly.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

2302691_o.gif
  • rml_16
    Options

This Brazil
    That I am not familiar with.

But I know the Lumberjack song. :-)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I've been overseas and we eat the same food you do. it's just we eat 1/3 more portions than you do. our food is no different .

But everyone says you don't have Mett, crudos or tartare. So I guess it is going to be an experience. I'll stock up on crude and eat up before my travel and then just deal with the local stuff.

No quark either, huh?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I may have a slight crush on the OP after getting through all of this :flowerforyou:

Thank you, that's very sweet. ;)
  • Thomasm198
    Options

2302691_o.gif
    tumblr_lyml3wqxwl1r73anpo1_250.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    This post is insulting to people who live and eat in the US and are healthy. If you are that concerned maybe you should rethink coming over.

Not very hospitable are you? You shouldn't feel insulted - this place is supposed to be supporting - if you came to Germany, I would invite you to a nice plate of Mett.

mett_max.jpg
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options
    Love it!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

This Brazil
    That I am not familiar with.

But I know the Lumberjack song. :-)

Gilliam directed the movie Brazil. It's worth watching.
  • nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    Options
    You dont want to come here, we elected Obama again. :( lol
  • rml_16
    Options
    Gilliam directed the movie Brazil. It's worth watching.
    I shall check it out.
  • Thomasm198
    Options
    You dont want to come here, we elected Obama again. :( lol
    That's the only intelligent thing America has done in recent years. :yawn:
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. But the fast food strategy will get you more germs from uninsured people unable to skip work or go to the doctor. Sick people work. That said, I'd go ahead and eat what you wanted. It's not like it's a country where you will need to avoid the water (most of the time). If you are really freaked out, go to grocery stores for many of your food items. Many have deli's, too, which is a level better than fast food most likely.