Traveling to America - should I be concerned?

Options

Replies

• skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall did it in 1988, you ll be ok.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If your concened just make sure that all your foods are fully cooked and that when you eat anything raw that you wash and prepare those items yourself. And if anything looks 'off' to you, like it doesn't look how you think it should, then don't eat it to be certain.

It's the same rules I follow when going to Mexico, with the exception of the water rule, cause you really cannot go wrong with that.
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    You dont want to come here, we elected Obama again. :( lol
    That's the only intelligent thing America has done in recent years. :yawn:

seconded
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to try these:

jimmydean.jpg

THEY HAVE CHOCOLATE CHIP ONES?!?!?!
  • notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Europe. Don't worry about it. My #1 recommendation is DO NOT EAT AT FAST FOOD PLACES! I have a friend who is a health inspector. I don't want to say more than that and totally gross people out - but just stay away from them. Make the right choices when you are here. I don't know about the rest of the country, but in CO and MA there are plenty of places where you can get an good healthy meal and not feel like you have to worry about dying from eColi.
  • Sw0914
    Sw0914 Posts: 9
    Options
    I don't know where you are visiting in the US, but if you can get to a Wegmans Store, they have an amazing organic section. Food quality in the US is the best in the world. Not sure what you are reading.....
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?

I have not had the flu since 2004.

I eat mostly organic and local food.

You can't LEGALLY BRING FOOD PERISHABLE FOOD INTO AMERICA. EVER.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I don't know where you are visiting in the US, but if you can get to a Wegmans Store, they have an amazing organic section. Food quality in the US is the best in the world. Not sure what you are reading.....

We just got the first Wegman's 10 minutes from my work (the first one in New England that is)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I used to live in Europe. Don't worry about it. My #1 recommendation is DO NOT EAT AT FAST FOOD PLACES! I have a friend who is a health inspector. I don't want to say more than that and totally gross people out - but just stay away from them. Make the right choices when you are here. I don't know about the rest of the country, but in CO and MA there are plenty of places where you can get an good healthy meal and not feel like you have to worry about dying from eColi.

Chilis. Olive Garden. Applebees. All still considered fast food. It's all microwaved frozen food. And gross. So don't eat at those either.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of dairy here in Europe and things like:

- unpasturized cheese
    - raw milk
    - raw eggs
    - peanut butter
    - Mett - raw minced pork meat
    - steak tartare - raw beef
    - oysters, sushi, sahimi, crudos, etc...

But from all the threads here, it seems that the food in America is dangerous and I don't think I can travel with two weeks of food. A lot of threads here talk about bad dairy, bad eggs, bad peanut butter. I'm not sure I should eat at places where I don't know the source.

Or should I stick to fast food places where I understand that the food quality is controlled and tested. I know it's strange to focus on that but I'm concerned about the quality of restaurants and I really won't have a car there nor a place to cook.

Thanks for your advise.

Your worried about getting sick when you eat food off a menu that E. Coli would be afraid to touch?
  • nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    Options

seconded

We wont get started on politics. But, dont blame me i voted for ROMNEY :)
  • Onesnap
    Options

Political talk is banned on the forums. Careful, you'll be booted.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to work out without the stick up my behind...
    I am surprised to see a mom with a young son laughing at someone being called retarded. No stick up my @ss, I just find that word to be offensive, especially as the mother of a child with autism. I was surprised to see a grown man call another grown man that, but even more surprised to see you laughing so hard at it.
    Oh, pull up your granny panties and grow thicker skin. Not everything is a personal attack on you.
  • minihaha80
    Options
    The only time ive ever gotten food poisoning is from a mc d's cheeseburger...
  • Onesnap
    Options

Political talk is banned on the forums. Careful, you'll be booted.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to try these:

jimmydean.jpg

THEY HAVE CHOCOLATE CHIP ONES?!?!?!

WHY HAVE I NOT SEEN THESE!!!! :love:
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • jacobschwarz
    jacobschwarz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i love how the US has taken over the word "america"

forget about the other countries in south & north america, we have ALL OF IT.

The US didn't take over the word. Europeons started calling us that after the Revolution.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    well in the part of America -United States, I live in. we do not encourge eatting raw or unpasteurized meat/ dairy. However, if you are already used to it, there is no reason you can eat it here, if you can find it. If you cant, you may want to bring a meat grinder with you. Buy some raw meat at the market and grind or mince your own. You can find farmers to provide you with fresh eggs. Its not dangerous to eat the food you enjoy at home here. We just tend to pasteurize, cook and freeze everything. good luck.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    i love how the US has taken over the word "america"

forget about the other countries in south & north america, we have ALL OF IT.

The US didn't take over the word. Europeons started calling us that after the Revolution.

Le sigh