Traveling to America - should I be concerned?

Options
1141516171820»

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    3/10
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You don't need to worry about the food, but you will need to be armed. As you may have heard, all of us Americans pack guns.

It shouldn't be a problem, just pick one up at the Airport as you're leaving, all the shops sell them. And learn to crawl down sidewalks like a Marine in combat. You might want to practice this before coming here.
  • mtbiker1069
    mtbiker1069 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes, pack two weeks worth of raw dairy and meat. Enjoy your trip!

+1 to this one! LOL!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Europe. Don't worry about it. My #1 recommendation is DO NOT EAT AT FAST FOOD PLACES! I have a friend who is a health inspector. I don't want to say more than that and totally gross people out - but just stay away from them. Make the right choices when you are here. I don't know about the rest of the country, but in CO and MA there are plenty of places where you can get an good healthy meal and not feel like you have to worry about dying from eColi.

Chilis. Olive Garden. Applebees. All still considered fast food. It's all microwaved frozen food. And gross. So don't eat at those either.

I used to work at Olive Garden. Their food is not microwaved, frozen food. Now the lasagna, they *do* make in advance, but it's still made there in the kitchen.

Don't try to tell me that OG is not previously frozen food. I don't buy it.

Like I said, I worked there. Don't buy if you choose not to, but I'm just stating the facts. I agree that it's a poor excuse for Italian food, but it isn't frozen. They actually have chefs cooking fresh foods. They have an enormous pantry (bigger than my living room + bedroom) and well as a walk-in fridge that is also huge. I was a server, but I had to help in the kitchen on occasion, including grabbing things from the pantry or walk-in when the kitchen staff was low. They have a full kitchen there with ovens and stovetops. I don't recall ever even seeing a microwave, but it's possible.

...So just setting the facts straight. :flowerforyou:
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are visiting in the US, but if you can get to a Wegmans Store, they have an amazing organic section. Food quality in the US is the best in the world. Not sure what you are reading.....

See it's statements like this that make me completely unsure about who is joking and who is serious... are you genuinely informed enough about this topic to make this statement? or is this one of those rare self-aware jokes at your own expense.... colour me confused...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are visiting in the US, but if you can get to a Wegmans Store, they have an amazing organic section. Food quality in the US is the best in the world. Not sure what you are reading.....

See it's statements like this that make me completely unsure about who is joking and who is serious... are you genuinely informed enough about this topic to make this statement? or is this one of those rare self-aware jokes at your own expense.... colour me confused...

It is the beauty of this place - we are our own best comics.
  • Sw0914
    Sw0914 Posts: 9
    Options
    You are going to love love love the store. All of their prepared food is om he MFP database.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Do you mean The United States?

Yes, and I understand the difference. While I live in Europe, I'm Mexican and "America" is an understood term for ... Uh... Americans.

I'm only on page 3. Have we discussed yet how a Mexican witha Russian name is living in Germany? I'm fascinated. This is my favorite thread ever.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Do you mean The United States?

Yes, and I understand the difference. While I live in Europe, I'm Mexican and "America" is an understood term for ... Uh... Americans.

I'm only on page 3. Have we discussed yet how a Mexican witha Russian name is living in Germany? I'm fascinated. This is my favorite thread ever.

And has landed in Newark. They have raw carrots in the frequent traveler lounge. Yay. ;)
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This thread just keeps getting better as it matures. Who would have thought that the answer to "Traveling to America - should I be concerned?" would be: "Olive Garden doesn't microwave frozen food"? Sweet!
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    Where are beavers being attacked?? I need to know now and is there a season for it because I want to put in for a vacation to that place RIGHT NOW!!!

I :heart: that this thread is still going and going!!! Darn double post I got all sexcited
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    Where are beavers being attacked?? I need to know now and is there a season for it because I want to put in for a vacation to that place RIGHT NOW!!!

I :heart: that this thread is still going and going!!!