Traveling to America - should I be concerned?

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've gotten food poisoning there before. Be careful.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Live and have been eating here for 57 years and have not died yet. You should be safe I would think.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Yes.

You have cause to be concerned.

Also make sure you bring a gun.

This might be my favorite comment EVER on MFP!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to try these:

jimmydean.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Do you mean The United States?

Yes, and I understand the difference. While I live in Europe, I'm Mexican and "America" is an understood term for ... Uh... Americans.
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Avoid fast food. I would give the same advice in any country. Not sure where you are going here. We have a lot of healthy choices at our grocery stores. Wegmans on the east coast is amazing.
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    If you are traveling to North America, you will be fine. Food quality is quite regulated. There are a lot of amazing places to eat food. Each region has its own specialites. You can find great steak in Florida and great tuna in Chicago, but generally speaking, you should try to eat what is specialized to the region. If you are visiting coastal regions, the seafood will be great. If you are visiting the midwest, the beef, pork, and poultry will be exceptional. Almost every place has organic, high quality produce options.

If you are going to South America, that is a whole different story! Ask the locals where to go. They are alive and healthy, so do what they do. Avoid foods that are cooked in water (because the water can make you sick). Avoid raw foods (except ceviche, you can find some amazing ceviche in south America).
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of dairy here in Europe and things like:

- unpasturized cheese
    - raw milk
    - raw eggs
    - peanut butter
    - Mett - raw minced pork meat
    - steak tartare - raw beef
    - oysters, sushi, sahimi, crudos, etc...

But from all the threads here, it seems that the food in America is dangerous and I don't think I can travel with two weeks of food. A lot of threads here talk about bad dairy, bad eggs, bad peanut butter. I'm not sure I should eat at places where I don't know the source.

Or should I stick to fast food places where I understand that the food quality is controlled and tested. I know it's strange to focus on that but I'm concerned about the quality of restaurants and I really won't have a car there nor a place to cook.

Thanks for your advise.

Depending on what city, state you are going to....you can google health food stores where grass fed beef and other meats can be purchased. I'm not sure about raw milk...I think you'd have to get that at a local dairy (I grew up on it)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i love how the US has taken over the word "america"

forget about the other countries in south & north america, we have ALL OF IT.
    In my experience, folks from other countries in North, Central or South America never refer to "America". They might refer to "the Americas" or the individual continents/regions, but never "America". There's no confusion over here. Don't worry about it.

maybe i should have used my "sarcasm" profile pic. *pats head*
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Please be more specific as to where you are traveling. The continents of North America and South America are quite large, encompase hundreds of countries and all have different ruling bodies of government controlling food safety. Some do a great job, others not so much.

Hundreds? Really?

Please stop being so frikking precious, you all know he's talking about the U.S.

And he's not being totally serious.....no one csn eat that much raw food and not be on a drip at some point.

And to the OP, when you arrive at the airport and reach customs and immigration, enjoy the irony that a nation of immigrants can make you feel so unwelcome......it gets better once you are actually through tho'.

Edited to correct duff typing on phone.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat fast food for every meal and then come back and tell us why you feel like death and you've gained 40 lbs on a 2 week trip.

What part of the country are you travelling to? Some parts of the country have MUCH better options and availability than others. It's a pretty big country.

:indifferent:
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options
    Troll or not, this thread is stupid.
    ^
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Only eat at the Waffle House. You'll be fine

Good advice.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Are you being serious?

If our food was unsafe to eat, why would we have an obesity epidemic? We'd all be skinny and sick.

I'd guess an epidemic is a disease. And therefore this is another thing I'm concerned about.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    It is not safe to eat pre-ground beef from the supermarket in its raw state. It is not INTENDED to be eaten raw.. If you would like to eat raw beef in america, visit an arabic deli and ask them for some kibpe meat..

Also you can eat raw eggs sure they're no more unsafe in America than anywhere else.. I believe your chance of getting salmonilla from a raw egg is 1 in 30,000. If you want to take your chances you'll probably be fine.

sushi? go for it

Raw milk, I'd only buy from a farmer I knew.

Raw pork??? no thanks.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I'll pack you some boobjuice. Just keep it gold!

Can I have some?
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    As long as you avoid buying fried catfish from a gas station, you should be fine.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of dairy here in Europe and things like:

- unpasturized cheese
    - raw milk
    - raw eggs
    - peanut butter
    - Mett - raw minced pork meat
    - steak tartare - raw beef
    - oysters, sushi, sahimi, crudos, etc...

But from all the threads here, it seems that the food in America is dangerous and I don't think I can travel with two weeks of food. A lot of threads here talk about bad dairy, bad eggs, bad peanut butter. I'm not sure I should eat at places where I don't know the source.

Or should I stick to fast food places where I understand that the food quality is controlled and tested. I know it's strange to focus on that but I'm concerned about the quality of restaurants and I really won't have a car there nor a place to cook.

Thanks for your advise.

There are a LOT of things that you guys enjoy in Europe that are illegal in the USA. It has nothing to do with safety, just politics. :ohwell:

Enjoy your trip.
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    *bump* just because it's sooo F**king Hilarious... and when I'm sad I can come back here and DIE LAUGHING again!!!
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i love how the US has taken over the word "america"

forget about the other countries in south & north america, we have ALL OF IT.

I'm not sure if it's us or them that took it over, really -- I've always said, "I'm from the United States" when I've traveled and they're like, "Oh, America!"