Traveling to America - should I be concerned?

Options

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Eat and enjoy, search out the out of the way truck stops and mom and pop cafes, bbq joints, taco stands and catfish parlors. Sample our food - it won't hurt you. BTW our tap water is extremely clean too. LOL
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yes, pack two weeks worth of raw dairy and meat. Enjoy your trip!

I love you!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I live smack in the center of the U.S. and I haven't had any worries about nor illnesses from bad food since I got food poisoning from egg fu yung at a Chinese restaurant several years ago. Of course, I'm vegetarian, so the raw meat etc. is completely out of the picture for me. But the dairy and peanut butter, I wouldn't worry about.

See, this is what I'm talking about. Ok, will avoid Chinese in the center of the US. Chicago? No Chinese.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Are you being serious?

If our food was unsafe to eat, why would we have an obesity epidemic? We'd all be skinny and sick.

I'd guess an epidemic is a disease. And therefore this is another thing I'm concerned about.

You step off that airplane man and you're getting huge! I mean look at me! Gobs and gobs of milk hormone induced blubber
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine, those are just hippies that don't know what they're talking about. my dad eats is steaks thawed
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    i love how the US has taken over the word "america"

forget about the other countries in south & north america, we have ALL OF IT.

They can have it. I don't want it.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'll pack you some boobjuice. Just keep it cold!

Can I have some?

Yup!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Do you mean The United States?

U.S.A - United States of AMERICA - so yes, he means the United States.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    It is not safe to eat pre-ground beef from the supermarket in its raw state. It is not INTENDED to be eaten raw.. If you would like to eat raw beef in america, visit an arabic deli and ask them for some kibpe meat..

Also you can eat raw eggs sure they're no more unsafe in America than anywhere else.. I believe your chance of getting salmonilla from a raw egg is 1 in 30,000. If you want to take your chances you'll probably be fine.

sushi? go for it

Raw milk, I'd only buy from a farmer I knew.

Raw pork??? no thanks.

Steak Tartare is delicious. It's intended raw. We usually add an egg on it. In Belgium it is called Steak Americain. I think they have a great sense of humor, those Belgians.
    Raw prepared pork, called Mett, here in Germany, is a great delicacy. Really good.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Mr. Murphy- is that you?

coming_to_america_special_collector_s_edition_dvd__large_.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I'm sure no one in the Central and South American countries think of themselves as "Americans." :laugh: :laugh:
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Or should I stick to fast food places where I understand that the food quality is controlled and tested. I know it's strange to focus on that but I'm concerned about the quality of restaurants and I really won't have a car there nor a place to cook.

I wouldn't eat at fast food restaurants. Get a travel book and do some research on restaurants in the cities you'll be visiting. I understand what you're saying. You'll see plenty of information on how raw oysters cause illnesses or how we have product recalls, etc. Go to decent, highly recommened restaurants and you'll be fine.

What cities will you be visiting?
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the people in the USA eat food from the USA every day. WTH
  • whitehairedguy64
    Options
    You eat everything raw or unpasturized.....................................you'll find lots of roadkill over here. Enjoy!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Yes.

You have cause to be concerned.

Also make sure you bring a gun.

I don't like guns. Plus I can't buy one here. I'll take my chances with that. But food I can control.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Steak Tartare is delicious. It's intended raw.

You'll find this at many restaurants. Delicious!
  • keevin33
    Options
    North America or South America? big difference

Dont risk anything, pack a cooler with your own milks and cheeses or else u will be forced to eat McDonalds and get fat
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I'm sure no one in the Central and South American countries think of themselves as "Americans." :laugh: :laugh:

Exactly. If someone said I'm going to the Americas (which, believe it or not, I've heard) - then that would mean the continents. But usually people tend to say the country they are going to..not the continent....

It's all about learning conversational cues :)
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Do you mean The United States?

Yes, and I understand the difference. While I live in Europe, I'm Mexican and "America" is an understood term for ... Uh... Americans.

Just go to any supermarket that has an international foods section. Whole Foods, World Market, Trader Joes, Dean and Deluca , etc. and you'll find foods you're used to.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Are you being serious?

If our food was unsafe to eat, why would we have an obesity epidemic? We'd all be skinny and sick.

I'd guess an epidemic is a disease. And therefore this is another thing I'm concerned about.
    Wear a mask and bring hand sanitizer and you won't contract it. Have fun!