Traveling to America - should I be concerned?

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Stay away from fast food and processed food!!! Seriously, don't eat fast food if you can help it. Check out the smaller non-chain locations if you'll be eating at restaurants. The quality is much better. There's also grocery stores if you would like to prepare food. I'd suggest Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, & Sprouts. If you're going to the grocery store, just buy organic and buy things in their natural state....read the labels for anything else.

Enjoy 'Merica! F**K YEAH!

Thanks!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

May one suggest a super sized portion of Testes Tartar? You may know it as mountain oysters on the hoof....

^^This. Rocky Mountain Oysters ... Yes! Yes!

EDIT: If you are brave enough to eat Mett, this would be a meal not to be missed.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Ya know some folks on here would not see a troll if it hit them with raw pork......

heheheh
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine, those are just hippies that don't know what they're talking about. my dad eats is steaks thawed

Wait! I thought it was "hippies" who ran the raw dairy co-ops!?!?

24348134.jpg

no- the real hippies are vegans--- no meat no dairy.

Thank God! I don't want to have to deal with hippies when I trek to Northern Cali in search of raw dairy!
  • TheRealPDouble
    Options
    Stay away from fast food and processed food!!! Seriously, don't eat fast food if you can help it. Check out the smaller non-chain locations if you'll be eating at restaurants. The quality is much better. There's also grocery stores if you would like to prepare food. I'd suggest Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, & Sprouts. If you're going to the grocery store, just buy organic and buy things in their natural state....read the labels for anything else.

Enjoy 'Merica! F**K YEAH!

Win
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    i love how the US has taken over the word "america"

forget about the other countries in south & north america, we have ALL OF IT.

obama-wins-reelection-memes.jpg
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I live smack in the center of the U.S. and I haven't had any worries about nor illnesses from bad food since I got food poisoning from egg fu yung at a Chinese restaurant several years ago. Of course, I'm vegetarian, so the raw meat etc. is completely out of the picture for me. But the dairy and peanut butter, I wouldn't worry about.

See, this is what I'm talking about. Ok, will avoid Chinese in the center of the US. Chicago? No Chinese.

If you are worried about eating unhealthy food, then AVOID fast food. Food in grocery stores is just fine - unpasteurized and/or raw foods are questionable due to our large-scale factory farming methods. If you know a clean, local source, those foods are fine. Otherwise, cook your meats. Tap water is safe to drink too. No need to panic. If a place looks dirty and seedy, don't eat there. Use common sense. I've never gotten sick eating Chinese, but some of it is pretty greasy. Your chances of getting sick and/or dying are low.

P.S. I've never been the victim of crime, and neither has anyone I know - except my husband who had his motorcycle stolen 15 years ago - so no need to arm yourself. Ignore all the fear-mongering paranoids and you will be fine. You should update us after your trip so we know you made it out ok. :wink:
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes, pack two weeks worth of raw dairy and meat. Enjoy your trip!

i am still laughing at this!! hahaha!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I've gotten food poisoning there before. Be careful.

See, my concern too. I bought a water filter to make coffee. I hear your coffee is weak, but Starbucks tastes like burnt stuff - hmm maybe bring an Italian?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    the food in america is amazing......prepare to gain a few pounds.

don't know what you're talking about re: 'bad' dairy etc.......its all good!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Just don't eat sushi in the Midwest love...

The *entire* Midwest?

tumblr_lm0iweH3ye1qb0cm6o1_500.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Yes, eat fast food for every meal and then come back and tell us why you feel like death and you've gained 40 lbs on a 2 week trip.

What part of the country are you travelling to? Some parts of the country have MUCH better options and availability than others. It's a pretty big country.

:indifferent:

Northern CA. I'll be calorie counting, it should be ok. Maybe I can buy one of those cleanses or GNC products we can't get here?
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Things to avoid eating while here:
    Gas station sushi
    Rest stop rollin' dogs
    Any store with butt in the name
    Clowns (they taste funny)
    pickled meat
    sun baked chicken
    southern bbq .... for addictive reasons.

Enjoy!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Please be more specific as to where you are traveling. The continents of North America and South America are quite large, encompase hundreds of countries and all have different ruling bodies of government controlling food safety. Some do a great job, others not so much.

In general, when speaking with American you all assume we are talking about the US when we say America. If I meant South American, or Mexico or Central America I would have stated it. As you can see in my OP, Im concerned about the issues that people here raise in MFP and most of the people here are from the US, not Honduras, or Columbia But for clarity, I'm traveling to California.

Are there really hundreds of countries in the Americas? So vast.

Actually, in California, you can get just about everything on your list, if you know where to go. There is a big raw food movement there. Some places were recently raided by Big Brother, but others are still flourishing.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6kj36sKY81rorjewo1_r1_250.gif

Would you believe I STILL haven't seen that movie?...for shame!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine, those are just hippies that don't know what they're talking about. my dad eats is steaks thawed

Wait! I thought it was "hippies" who ran the raw dairy co-ops!?!?

24348134.jpg

no- the real hippies are vegans--- no meat no dairy.

bingo^
    not all organic farmers are hippies. some farmers have no choice, not to use chemicals in their fields, due to underground water supplies. that, and i can name at least a dozen of the most conservative people you could meet, that would probably prefer to drink right off the cows tit.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you won't get raw pork anywhere in the U.S. The rest of your list should be easy.
    And yes the U.S. has pretty well taken over the word America. To them it is a Country.
    To the rest of the Western Hemisphere it is Two Continents.
    Three actually.

North..... Central ...... South.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    You're better off to bring your own food, but you'll only need 3-4 days worth. If you ain't packing heat, you won't make it longer than that on our streets.
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Germany, I had the impression that mett was horse meat, not pork.
    Anyway, the press doesn't report all of the good and safe things that are available, only the dangerous and bad things.
    You'll hear about the three cases of tainted beef long before you'll hear anything about the 100 million people who ate safe beef today.
    Just sayin'
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I've gotten food poisoning there before. Be careful.

See, my concern too. I bought a water filter to make coffee. I hear your coffee is weak, but Starbucks tastes like burnt stuff - hmm maybe bring an Italian?

Yes, and we put ice in all our soft drinks. :drinker: