Traveling to America - should I be concerned?

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Northern California - tons of good, fresh, raw food here! You will love it. Don't waste your time with fast food. :drinker:
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Northern CA. I'll be calorie counting, it should be ok. Maybe I can buy one of those cleanses or GNC products we can't get here?
    Oh man. You couldn't resist adding a cleanse reference. Now we're on to you! Bien hecho. Bien hecho.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You eat everything raw or unpasturized.....................................you'll find lots of roadkill over here. Enjoy!

But mostly in Florida, no? Not goin there. Is it legal? Or do I have to belong to the adopt-a-highway thing?
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat fast food for every meal and then come back and tell us why you feel like death and you've gained 40 lbs on a 2 week trip.

What part of the country are you travelling to? Some parts of the country have MUCH better options and availability than others. It's a pretty big country.

:indifferent:

Northern CA. I'll be calorie counting, it should be ok. Maybe I can buy one of those cleanses or GNC products we can't get here?
    While you're in Northern CA, be sure you enjoy some creamofsumyoungguy. It's a delicacy there.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I live on the east coast in New Jersey, and I've never gotten food poisoning, nor has anyone in my family. Food safety never even enters my mind outside of the typical raw poultry potential for salmonella, to be honest.

I think the biggest thing to worry about right now is the infuenza epidemic. A lot of people have already died from it across most of the nation. I haven't had a flu shot since I was a child, but even I'm getting a little nervous this year.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Seriously, the people in the USA eat food from the USA every day. WTH

And I see all the problems here. Every day. Dangerous foods.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I've gotten food poisoning there before. Be careful.

See, my concern too. I bought a water filter to make coffee. I hear your coffee is weak, but Starbucks tastes like burnt stuff - hmm maybe bring an Italian?

Starbucks sucks. You can find other good coffee. Caribou is pretty good, or you can go to a nice store, buy some good dark roast, and make it with a French press. I have a Keurig, and I much prefer the French press.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    As long as you avoid buying fried catfish from a gas station, you should be fine.

Check, no catfish.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Northern California is the place. (TAKE ME WITH YOU! :laugh:)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    If you drink American milk and eat American wheat you'll get moobs.

I know, all those hormones you feed your wheat and cows.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you won't get raw pork anywhere in the U.S. The rest of your list should be easy.
    And yes the U.S. has pretty well taken over the word America. To them it is a Country.
    To the rest of the Western Hemisphere it is Two Continents.
    Three actually.

North..... Central ...... South.

Two continents. North America and South America. Central America is a region (it's sometimes considered a subcontinent) and is part of North America.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    Yes, eat fast food for every meal and then come back and tell us why you feel like death and you've gained 40 lbs on a 2 week trip.

What part of the country are you travelling to? Some parts of the country have MUCH better options and availability than others. It's a pretty big country.

Oh, you're coming HERE? NorCal? Oh, then you're fine. Seriously, it's RIDICULOUSLY easy to find healthy food in Northern California. Granted, it's pretty easy to find crap food too, but just find a New Leaf market or Whole Foods, or the like. They're everywhere. The coastal areas are even more likely to have what you're looking for. (although you may want to avoid Fresno, just on general principle)
  • geisharunner219
    Options
    Try to stick to what you normally would eat. Do not hit up our fast food chains... they are all horrid.

As far as our FDA guidelines on our food... take that with a grain of salt. The FDA is just like our politics. Run by corporations and lobbyists. Not going to open a can of worms with this but just try to eat as normal as you would at home.

Enjoy your trip! :smile:
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    this is the greatest thread of all time.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from fast food, if your system is not used to it, you will be sick. Also don't get food from gas stations, it has alot of processed and very greasy foods. Best bet is to find out if where you are staying has a fridge or a way to prepare food?? You can get really good fresh fruits, veg, and meats from the grocery store and prepare how you like it.

Also, I find that eating at small locally owned or what we call "mom and pop" style restaurants give the best quality and usually have fresh delicious foods. The chain restaurants here such as Applebee's, Chili's and others like these, have good food, but extremely high in sodium and lacks the quality you are probably used to.

I traveled in Europe, and Belgium, and the food there is awesome. Enjoy your travels here, and with all the tips you've gotten, you will be fine :smile:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the people in the USA eat food from the USA every day. WTH

And I see all the problems here. Every day. Dangerous foods.

Dude, I've lived here my entire life and I've never been overweight. It's not the dangerous food that's the problem, it's the dangerous choices people make!
  • randilynn113
    randilynn113 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I agree :wink:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

While you're in Northern CA, be sure you enjoy some creamofsumyoungguy. It's a delicacy there.

Where do I get that?
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    We have regular healthy food too? Cant you go grocery shopping while you are here? We have grocery stores, we dont just eat mcdonalds 3 times a day.....
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    As long as you avoid buying fried catfish from a gas station, you should be fine.

Check, no catfish.
    catfish is good, its the gas station part you have to avoid...