Traveling to America - should I be concerned?

Options

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to try these:

jimmydean.jpg

Why don't we have more meats on a stick?
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    People in the U.S. aren't obese because there isn't an OPTION to eat healthy here. For every fast food place, there's a health food store around the corner. Our problem is just that a lot of us make crappy choices anyway, and go for the cheap, fatty, processed crap that got us to the point where we need MFP. Then some of us got back on track, while others chugged another milkshake and sued McDonalds for making them fat.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6kj36sKY81rorjewo1_r1_250.gif
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    oops wrong thread. :wink:
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    If you drink American milk and eat American wheat you'll get moobs.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine, those are just hippies that don't know what they're talking about. my dad eats is steaks thawed

Wait! I thought it was "hippies" who ran the raw dairy co-ops!?!?

24348134.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to try these:

jimmydean.jpg

YES!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    oops wrong thread. :wink:

:laugh:
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Troll?
    That's my guess.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Eat at Old Country Buffet!!! It will keep you running, if you know what I mean. :bigsmile:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine, those are just hippies that don't know what they're talking about. my dad eats is steaks thawed

Wait! I thought it was "hippies" who ran the raw dairy co-ops!?!?

24348134.jpg

no- the real hippies are vegans--- no meat no dairy.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    oX76m.jpg

'MURICA
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJ6qCqitxEq90vSD6EGxxhdZzh6cpuEsRMgMcJ8xJX1ITYelwu
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of dairy here in Europe and things like:

- unpasturized cheese
    - raw milk
    - raw eggs
    - peanut butter
    - Mett - raw minced pork meat
    - steak tartare - raw beef
    - oysters, sushi, sahimi, crudos, etc...

But from all the threads here, it seems that the food in America is dangerous and I don't think I can travel with two weeks of food. A lot of threads here talk about bad dairy, bad eggs, bad peanut butter. I'm not sure I should eat at places where I don't know the source.

Or should I stick to fast food places where I understand that the food quality is controlled and tested. I know it's strange to focus on that but I'm concerned about the quality of restaurants and I really won't have a car there nor a place to cook.

Thanks for your advise.

May one suggest a super sized portion of Testes Tartar? You may know it as mountain oysters on the hoof....
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat sushi in the Midwest love...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Please be more specific as to where you are traveling. The continents of North America and South America are quite large, encompase hundreds of countries and all have different ruling bodies of government controlling food safety. Some do a great job, others not so much.

In general, when speaking with American you all assume we are talking about the US when we say America. If I meant South American, or Mexico or Central America I would have stated it. As you can see in my OP, Im concerned about the issues that people here raise in MFP and most of the people here are from the US, not Honduras, or Columbia But for clarity, I'm traveling to California.

Are there really hundreds of countries in the Americas? So vast.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6kj36sKY81rorjewo1_r1_250.gif

hot! :smokin:
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I think your idea of sticking to fast food is the best. Be sure to eat fast food for everything, and don't forget the fries and shakes/malts with ALL of your meals. Also, go for fried/breaded options. Frying foods kills more bacteria than just baking them. You'll be safe as kittens going this route.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i love how the US has taken over the word "america"

forget about the other countries in south & north america, we have ALL OF IT.

because it's United States of 'America'. If you're from American Samoa we're sorry, but you're gonna have to come and take it
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of dairy here in Europe and things like:

- unpasturized cheese
    - raw milk
    - raw eggs
    - peanut butter
    - Mett - raw minced pork meat
    - steak tartare - raw beef
    - oysters, sushi, sahimi, crudos, etc...

But from all the threads here, it seems that the food in America is dangerous and I don't think I can travel with two weeks of food. A lot of threads here talk about bad dairy, bad eggs, bad peanut butter. I'm not sure I should eat at places where I don't know the source.

Or should I stick to fast food places where I understand that the food quality is controlled and tested. I know it's strange to focus on that but I'm concerned about the quality of restaurants and I really won't have a car there nor a place to cook.

Thanks for your advise.

I'm not quite sure you'd get through the airport with two weeks' worth of the above-mentioned foods. When I returned from France after living there for several months, because I had not been living in or around Paris, I was interrogated as to whether or not I was bringing any fruits, vegetables, cheese, or meat back into the US. They ended up going through my luggage only to find a sealed bottle of local cognac (which is legal).

You can get raw milk, raw eggs, and unpasteurized cheeses here, you just have to know where to look. (I know people who consume them regularly.) Lots of fine dining restaurants would serve steak tartare, and good sushi, sashimi, raw oysters, and the like aren't that hard to find at even reasonably priced restaurants. I live on the South Carolina coast, and good, raw oysters that were harvested earlier that day are really easy to find. Oyster roasts are a social event - lots of fun even if you don't eat oysters!