100 Push ups challenge starts Mon 14th Jan

Options
167891012»

Replies

• hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Week 8 Day 3 (essentially another repeat of week 6)
    26/26/33/33/26/26/22/22/42 (last set was supposed to be 60)
    I am overdue for an exhaustion test - I suppose I will do that next time around and see where it places me, or just keep repeating Week 6. My "last sets" have not been making what they are supposed to make but I'm still kinda proud of myself for sticking with it this far. After all I did over 250 pushups today!

Nice work to everyone still on this thread!
  • martinh78
    Options
    Week 4 day 1, didn't think I ws going to make the 16 minimum when I started but just did it.

It's gonna hurt tomorrow!
  • hendinerik
    Options
    Exhaustion test.... 62. Will start again on week 6(week 9) column 3.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Thurs 2/21, Week 4, Day 2, Col 3: Pushups challenge: 25,29,25,25 Toes/floor 46 Bench - Really struggling to get more than 30 on the floor. Missed day 3.

I just did a exhaustion test and got 33 on my toes. That may not impress you guys, but it impresses me.

I'm going to move on to Week 5, column 2.
  • clover5
    Options
    Week 5, Day 1, Col 2 - Today: 33,28,25,22 Toes, 43 Bench.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Week 4 Day 2 fail :(

Mis-read the table and did too many to start with so was never going to manage 18 at the end! Try again Thursday.
  • hendinerik
    Options
    Week 6(9?) Day 1 - 45/40/35/30/45 (on 2nd and last was supposed to do 55) - This is my 3rd week of week 6 attempting column 3 - I think next week I may do Week 6 Col 2, because on these days of "bulkier" sets I am not making the maxes, and I feel like at that point I was steadily increasing... so I may need to "check myself" even if I just stay there for a bit it's a great workout...

@martinh78 good to see you back. I think "fail" is relative - we're all still here trying the challenge, every day I don't skip it is a success (that's what I'm trying to tell myself :)

I also find that sometimes I like to count groups of 10 when I do the longer sets, the problem is I sometimes lose count! Maybe I need to work on my counting skills!
  • martinh78
    Options
    Yeah, you are right. I am finding it tough but was suprised I got to 18 in one set. That was impossible a month ago, never mind completing four sets!

Well done those who are still here!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - decision time...
    Had a few days rest and started on week 6 for the third time but bombed again - column 3, day 1 - 45/45*/35/30/36* (* should have been 55's).

Come to the conclusion that the program got me this far (63 max in exhaustion test) but the ultra high number of reps in one sitting is putting too much wear & tear on my damaged shoulder (supraspinatus tendon and AC joint injuries). Not going back to living on ibuprofen....

So I will continue with the challenge but increase rest days and reduce number of sets.
    Not giving up while I can still drag my nose off the floor. :smile:
  • clover5
    Options
    Week 5, Col 2, day 2: 18,18,20,20,14,14,16 Floor, 43 Bench (b/c I can't over 40 on the floor yet. This is the first day of 8 sets in the program.
  • martinh78
    Options
    8 sets, WOW!

I blasted my repeat of W4D2 today :)

18 finish, 72 total.

Major improvement over the 12 I could do at the start (just one set!)
  • martinh78
    Options
    Hmmm - decision time...
    Had a few days rest and started on week 6 for the third time but bombed again - column 3, day 1 - 45/45*/35/30/36* (* should have been 55's).

Come to the conclusion that the program got me this far (63 max in exhaustion test) but the ultra high number of reps in one sitting is putting too much wear & tear on my damaged shoulder (supraspinatus tendon and AC joint injuries). Not going back to living on ibuprofen....

So I will continue with the challenge but increase rest days and reduce number of sets.

As you say, no point injuring yourself. I can't see me ever hitting 60 in one set...not this year anyway!
  • hendinerik
    Options
    Week 6 Day 2 Col 3 (3x repeating week 6) 22/22/30/30/24/24/18/18/50 --- last set was supposed to be 50. But truthfully I got interrupted to coming clear here: First three sets where in the morning and then I finished off other sets in afternoon.

I am thinking I may go back to Col 2 or even Col 1 next week - only because I feel like more progress is made when I make the targets prescribed.

@Martinh78 - that sounds wise -- better not to injure your shoulder if it's tender. I know what you mean, goal or no goal I have gained strength in the process. had a great benefit in this so I'm grateful for hearing about this challenge from you.

I like the multiple reps much more than the exhaustion tests... I'm definitely still at the point where 50ish I really start to bomb out. I think I need to focus on going back a level / column/week whatever... and doing good form and hitting targets...
  • hendinerik
    Options
    Hmmm - decision time...

Great job Simon - sorry my other comment for martinh I didn't realize was quoting your post. Kudos to everyone giving it what they got...
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Jumping in here for the first time - I have been doing this since the end of November - sometimes 2 sets a week instead of 3, and I also got sick and had to backtrack a little. Anyway - I just finished Lvl 3, week 5 - that last set of 50 just about killed me (it was my second attempt - couldn't do it a few days ago). On to the test, and then the last week.

I have been noticing though, that I think I dip my hips a little too low - being so far in the program, I think I will finish it, and then retest with better form keeping my hips more in line with my shoulders, and restart the program (maybe in week 2 or 3). I should have my husband or daughter video me so I can see my form better! I'd hate to think I am cheating.

Still, I am pleased that when I started, I could only do 13, and now I can definitely do 50 or more. We'll see after I take my test in a couple days. I have found that they are a lot easier to do when I am really warmed up, so I tend to do them after my runs.
  • clover5
    Options
    Week 5 (7) Col 2, day 3: Pushups: 18,18,20,20,17,17,20 Floor, 46 Bench.

I'm supposed to do another exhaustion test this weekend. I don't like them either. I guess I'll do the test, but I anticipate doing week 5 again. I'm not discouraged though. When we started, I only did 10.
  • clover5
    Options
    Exhaustion test: 40! I am bustin'!!!!
  • sijomial
    Options
    Exhaustion test: 40! I am bustin'!!!!

That's good going!
  • hendinerik
    Options
    Took a break for a few days.

I am going to start over probably next week with an exhaustion test to keep things "honest" - but not going to be on this thread anymore - been a good challenge and a great thread.

Kudos to martinh78 - and good luck to everyone! Feel free to add me or stay in touch.

-- Erik
  • sijomial
    Options
    First week of NOT following the training routine as it was killing my shoulder.
    Aiming to do on max set every other day - this week it's been 50/55/52.

Have reintroduced bench press and pec fly back into my gym routine as well.