Any Successes for Women With An Inverted Triangle Shape?

Options
Hey everyone,
I am inverted triangle and I just started my weight loss journey. Are there any ladies built like me that have lost weight.

For those that aren't sure what an inverted triangle body shape looks like, just picture Sherri Shepherd from the View.

From www.refinery.ca:

If you have an Inverted Triangle Body Shape you:

have hips that are narrower than your shoulders
your waist may go in slightly, or be a bit straighter, but the main defining feature of your shape is the different proportions of shoulders and hips
may describe feeling like a "football player" in certain garments
often well endowed in proportion to the rest of your figure, but not always
tend to be drawn to v-necklines

Please share your before/after pictures if you are an inverted triangle that has successfully lost weight.

I know this thread won't be huge because we have the most uncommon shape out of all the body shapes.

Replies

• bloodysore
    bloodysore Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm one too! I've lost a bit, but don't have pictures to post yet. I'll be watching this thread with you!
  • tashamcc
    tashamcc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi ya, im an inverted triangle, it's getting better as I lose weight. Shoulders wayyyyyyy wider than hips

photo4_zps9352e88f.jpg
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi tashamcc,
    Thanks for sharing your pictures. Part of your picture is cut off.

My shoulders are also wayyyyyy wider than my hips. I actually have no hips or butt and my waist is super thick with no definition. I'm a size 20 on the top and a size 16 on the bottom........crazy. I am jealous when I see a woman that is 250 lbs and can still see her defined waist.

Demi Moore and Teri Hatcher are inverted triangles but it's not obvious because they are thin and dress their shape. I hate to say it, but I just think that extra weight doesn't look good on inverted triangle the way it does on hourglasses or pears.

That's why I am on a mission to lose weight, so that I can look my best with the shape that I have. I am just hoping that I can some how prevent my bottom half from wasting away when I lose weight.
  • purplecharm
    Options
    I'm one too! I've lost a bit, but don't have pictures to post yet. I'll be watching this thread with you!
    Thanks for responding.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am an inverted triangle--big boobs and shoulders, no hips. I lost 20 lbs. Still no hips (or defined waist) but I hope to be posting pics on 1/16/13--my 365 day of losing.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I dont know exactly what I am, apple I think. But I've lost 60 lbs (1/3 of the way to my goal) so I'm slowly shrinking. I dont resemble the kool-aid man nearly as much as I used to.
  • purplecharm
    Options
    I am an inverted triangle--big boobs and shoulders, no hips. I lost 20 lbs. Still no hips (or defined waist) but I hope to be posting pics on 1/16/13--my 365 day of losing.

Congrats on your weight loss. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
  • purplecharm
    Options
    I dont know exactly what I am, apple I think. But I've lost 60 lbs (1/3 of the way to my goal) so I'm slowly shrinking. I dont resemble the kool-aid man nearly as much as I used to.
    It does sound like you're an apple. Inverted triangles typically have broad shoulders that are wider than their hips, undefined waist and small legs.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I've never really found a body shape description that accurately described me but I think inverted triangle sounds pretty close. My measurements are 35-24.5-32 so my hip measurement is a good amount smaller than my bust measurement. Anyway, here are before and afters.

Before

392f286ee83ca32684c671a969ff9dae_zps8bac1d57.jpg

After

f2ce9d5336233fba9fd51bbaef3b2e73_zpsb8ef0edf.jpg

3f886b17cb21e803fd2c67381fd6febc_zps0adaa142.jpg
  • purplecharm
    Options
    I've never really found a body shape description that accurately described me but I think inverted triangle sounds pretty close. My measurements are 35-24.5-32 so my hip measurement is a good amount smaller than my bust measurement. Anyway, here are before and afters.

Before

392f286ee83ca32684c671a969ff9dae_zps8bac1d57.jpg

After

f2ce9d5336233fba9fd51bbaef3b2e73_zpsb8ef0edf.jpg

3f886b17cb21e803fd2c67381fd6febc_zps0adaa142.jpg

Thanks for sharing yours pics. You look great. I definitely think that you are a triangle because your shoulders are wider than your hips.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
  • toludc
    toludc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am an inverted triangle shape. I dont have pics right now but will post them when I do. I lost a lot of weight through exercise and healthy eating last year (since put back on due to pregnancy) and when I did i noticed the weight dropped from my hips downwards but not so much the top half. it was so frustrating. So this time round I have tailored my workouts to not include any upper body weight training as I dont want to bulk up on my shoulders and am including a higher protein diet to reduce muscle loss from my bottom and thight

I hope it works!!
  • toludc
    toludc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am an inverted triangle shape. I dont have pics right now but will post them when I do. I lost a lot of weight through exercise and healthy eating last year (since put back on due to pregnancy) and when I did i noticed the weight dropped from my hips downwards but not so much the top half. it was so frustrating. So this time round I have tailored my workouts to not include any upper body weight training as I dont want to bulk up on my shoulders and am including a higher protein diet to reduce muscle loss from my bottom and thight

I hope it works!!
  • purplecharm
    Options

I hope it works!!

That's what I am worried about. The majority of my weight is from my waist and up. I truly could go without losing any weight below my waist. I know you can't change your body build but I am going to see if it's possible to do a more targeted weight loss, so that I can concentrate primarily on my upper body.

Congrats on your pregnancy and I wish you the best once you resume your weight loss journey.
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This is me too unfortunately. I've always hated my shape, and was teased about being a "football player". I was 215lbs at my heaviest and now I'm 175. I can see a difference, but I still have a ways to go, so no "after" pics yet. I always have that problem with the two different sizes on top and bottom, it's so hard to find dresses that look right on me. I have noticed though, that the weight comes off last from the place that you put it on first. So for me, my stomach, back, face, is coming off very slowly. I unfortunately lost weight from my seemingly non existent bottom half, don't know how that could happen, but the numbers don't lie. I agree with you that inverted triangles look so much better at a lower weight, we just can't pull off the chub like other shapes, lol. Good luck to you!!
  • purplecharm
    Options
    This is me too unfortunately. I've always hated my shape, and was teased about being a "football player". I was 215lbs at my heaviest and now I'm 175. I can see a difference, but I still have a ways to go, so no "after" pics yet. I always have that problem with the two different sizes on top and bottom, it's so hard to find dresses that look right on me. I have noticed though, that the weight comes off last from the place that you put it on first. So for me, my stomach, back, face, is coming off very slowly. I unfortunately lost weight from my seemingly non existent bottom half, don't know how that could happen, but the numbers don't lie. I agree with you that inverted triangles look so much better at a lower weight, we just can't pull off the chub like other shapes, lol. Good luck to you!!

Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your weight loss. I have always hated my body shape, too. I was also teased as a child because of my broad shoulders. I remember being told that I was built like a man when I was in middle school.

I try to dress my shape but a lot of the clothes suggested for inverted triangles aren't available in abundance in plus-sizes. For instance, peplum dresses and skirts are recommend because they balance out the top half of your body. I have yet to see a peplum skirt in a plus size fashion store. I think one of the problems with finding flattering clothes for plus-size inverted triangles is that the plus-size fashion industry and society in general think that every plus-size woman is also curvy. Plus-size and curvy are not synonymous. Clothes in Women's sizes don't take into account the many different body shapes.

I suspect that the weight in my problem areas are going to be struggle for me to lose , too, just because of my body composition. Oh well, I won't let that discourage me. Be sure to share your after pics after you've completed your journey. We are in a very small club. There won't be hundreds of ladies responding to this thread lol, so I hope the few of us inverted triangles that are here will share pictures to help give encouragement to other IT's.
  • itsjilly
    Options
    That would be me! No pictures to share, but I started in August at 254lbs.

Today I am 215 lbs (1 to go to 40)

Here are my measurements from August to December. I have been trying to eat a 1200 calorie diet, reduced carbs, and work out 6 days a week

5 inches from my waist
    7.5 from my hips
    9 from my bust
    10 from my abdomen
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    You ladies might not appreciate it yet, but I think the inverted triangle shape has the greatest potential to look great, more than any other body type (sorry, other body types). If you lose enough weight so that your shoulders are kind of boney, they can look very lean and elegant, and you already don't get that dumpy, bottom-heavy look that women with large hips get. I didn't fully appreciate my shape until I lost weight. Now I own it and do a ton of upper body exercises to keep that half strong and wider.

Just an optimistic thought I'd share with you ladies :flowerforyou:
  • purplecharm
    Options
    That would be me! No pictures to share, but I started in August at 254lbs.

Today I am 215 lbs (1 to go to 40)

Here are my measurements from August to December. I have been trying to eat a 1200 calorie diet, reduced carbs, and work out 6 days a week

5 inches from my waist
    7.5 from my hips
    9 from my bust
    10 from my abdomen

Congrats on your 40lbs weight loss. I hope to lose 40lbs by May. MFP recommends 1200 calories for me but I am confused by the whole "eat back the calories that you earn". Most say that they are still able to lose weight eating back earned calories but with my luck, I will be that one person that gains instead of loses. Do you eat your earned calories?

Keep up the good work!
  • purplecharm
    Options
    You ladies might not appreciate it yet, but I think the inverted triangle shape has the greatest potential to look great, more than any other body type (sorry, other body types). If you lose enough weight so that your shoulders are kind of boney, they can look very lean and elegant, and you already don't get that dumpy, bottom-heavy look that women with large hips get. I didn't fully appreciate my shape until I lost weight. Now I own it and do a ton of upper body exercises to keep that half strong and wider.

Just an optimistic thought I'd share with you ladies :flowerforyou:

Thanks so much for your encouraging words. Sometimes I am so busy having a self-pity party because I don't have hips or a plump bum, that I don't see the pluses associated with being an inverted triangle. I read somewhere that a lot of models are inverted triangles. Supermodel Naomi Campbell is one and she looks great in her clothes.

I really do appreciate your kind words.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!